Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Persona 4 Golden - out on Steam

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The question needs to be asked once more. Who is the best girl?

:philosoraptor:

Can't say about the changes in P4G (there are more events with the girls) but the 2 playthroughs I have in PS2, both the Sun Arcana girls are great.

I guess I am a sucker for a pretty dramatic story, but geez I can't not take the Sun Social Link as the final girl choice.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Remember when I was playing vanilla P4 and SMT3 concurrently on an emulator. Good times. Then I transferred the folders to a different computer and lost all my progress on both somehow :negative:

Tempted to get this but I dont know if I have it in me to do boring ass dungeons over.

Only two simultaneous games?...
ADYCluL.png

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Rise is best girl because not only is she the hottest but she shows the most interest. Being pursued by someone who is sweet to you is nice

Readher

Savant
The game surpassed FF XV in concurrent players making it the #1 JRPG as far as concurrent players go. We're ~350 people away from breaking the 30k point too.

cruel

Cipher
The game surpassed FF XV in concurrent players making it the #1 JRPG as far as concurrent players go. We're ~350 people away from breaking the 30k point too.

29,984 players right now - 16 left to break 30K.

Impressive. Game from 2012, original from 2008, and still beats the shit out of every other jRPG on Steam. Pure quality.

Dyskolos

Cipher
I'm waiting for Atlus to go 'wow, if P4 sold so much on PC of all places, imagine if we ported it to x,y, and z'. And that's how the resurrected motorola razor ends up with P4 before steam gets Nocturne.

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm waiting for Atlus to fix the stuttering anime cutscene bug. It's pervasive in my game, not just limited to the opening cutscene.

Nostaljaded

Savant
This is the Vita P4G version which also does not render the power transmission tower assets.
So can't really say that it's a butchered port.

sLeOM1g.png

Readher

Savant
The PC port was done by a Japanese contract developer Preapp Partners under supervision of Atlus JP. You can see that in the credits of the Steam version. It means that contrary to the popular belief, this isn't a "Sega EU getting scraps" scenario, but something Atlus JP was interested in doing (probably after the success of Catherine Classic) and only had SoA (and by extension Atlus West) and Sega EU in advisor roles (due to lack of experience with the Western, and especially PC market).

what's the size of this game when installed ?

Said ~13gb when I installed it.

ah good, i was afraid it was going to be too big for my HDD, like every other jrpg port to PC.

i'm planning to play every Persona game that i can, i've already finished Revelations: Persona. Next, i going to play Persona 2 IS (PS1), Persona 2 EP (PS1), Persona 3 (PSP) and then Persona 4 on steam. i hope they port Persona 5 to pc too.

Duraframe300

Arcane
what's the size of this game when installed ?

Said ~13gb when I installed it.

ah good, i was afraid it was going to be too big for my HDD, like every other jrpg port to PC.

i'm planning to play every Persona game that i can, i've already finished Revelations: Persona. Next, i going to play Persona 2 IS (PS1), Persona 2 EP (PS1), Persona 3 (PSP) and then Persona 4 on steam. i hope they port Persona 5 to pc too.

Well technically you're missing the SQQ then though. But I assume you're already aware of that.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
The PC port was done by a Japanese contract developer Preapp Partners under supervision of Atlus JP. You can see that in the credits of the Steam version. It means that contrary to the popular belief, this isn't a "Sega EU getting scraps" scenario, but something Atlus JP was interested in doing (probably after the success of Catherine Classic) and only had SoA (and by extension Atlus West) and Sega EU in advisor roles (due to lack of experience with the Western, and especially PC market).

I mean there are a lot of possibilities on why and how this is done. It could be outside pressure (say from SEGA EU to SEGA Head Office) that ATLUS JP agrees to only do the port under their supervision etc. We can't really know what's happening simply by seeing that "Oh the sub-contractor for the porting is done by JP companies under the supervision of ATUS JP so it must be ATLUS JP wanting to make a port."

Well regardless, I hope the relative success of Catherine Classic and this Persona 4 having huge sales would finally either open ATLUS eyes to make more port or make SEGA to pressure ATLUS more to make these ports.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Why did they remove the power lines? The heck?

*It is a mystery", but as you can see on the shot the easy answer is that they remade the models and thus a small difference in art direction. The Vita also has mountains in that example whereas the PS2 doesn't. Simple as that.

The additions in Golden far outweigh any negative btw.

Readher

Savant
I mean there are a lot of possibilities on why and how this is done. It could be outside pressure (say from SEGA EU to SEGA Head Office) that ATLUS JP agrees to only do the port under their supervision etc. We can't really know what's happening simply by seeing that "Oh the sub-contractor for the porting is done by JP companies under the supervision of ATUS JP so it must be ATLUS JP wanting to make a port."

Well regardless, I hope the relative success of Catherine Classic and this Persona 4 having huge sales would finally either open ATLUS eyes to make more port or make SEGA to pressure ATLUS more to make these ports.

Technically it could've been pressure from Sega JP, but Sega EU has no authority over Atlus JP, so they definitely couldn't have forced anything upon them.

I feel like the port is too good to be something done under pressure though. Obviously it has some of typical Japanese jank problems (anime cutscenes are encoded pretty badly and there's that whole API thing Durante talked about in IGN's article), but it's a much, much better port than Catherine Classic. We have button prompts for every official controller (even Switch Pro), proper high framerate support, HD UI (including character sprites). I just can't picture it being the result of "forced labor"

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron

Technically it could've been pressure from Sega JP, but Sega EU has no authority over Atlus JP, so they definitely couldn't have forced anything upon them.

I mean that's what I said. I guess I should be more clear that SEGA Head Office = SEGA JP. Some guy in EGA EU create a good projection for PC port, forward it to SEGA JP, SEGA JP agrees, SEGA JP pressure ATLUS JP.

But these are baseless assumption tho. We can only hope the end result is more ATLUS in house games on PC

Well technically you're missing the SQQ then though. But I assume you're already aware of that.

Yeah, but beating the first Persona game only one time is enough for me. (the encounter rate man...)

Plus, i like the PSX soundtrack better:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom