Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadow Empire - planetary conquest from Advanced Tactics/Decisive Campaigns dev

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why is it hard to draw roads? The only difficulty I see is part of the system that it costs more to put roads or rails through certain terrain types?

Someone had the brilliant idea of not letting you simply path to the adjacent hex.

Also to whoever asked why parallel roads, because you can transport more stuff.

Also, post some screenshots of your supply network so I can laugh at you see whats wrong.

Beowulf

Arcane
Why is it hard to draw roads? The only difficulty I see is part of the system that it costs more to put roads or rails through certain terrain types?

Someone had the brilliant idea of not letting you simply path to the adjacent hex.

Roads don't work that way. Once you have a road, your Logisitc Points will go through it. If you have two running in parallel, your LIS will be just divided/2 at the crossroads.

asfasdf

robot
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Just because you can 'finish' the game by employing endless autism, it doesn't mean it isn't horribly broken or filled with retarded micromanagement. The game is ridiculously easy, since the AI is braindead, it means shit. I finished it many times also.

This game makes tasks which could be trivially automated an endless chore.

asfasdf

robot
Patron

Roads don't work that way. Once you have a road, your Logisitc Points will go through it. If you have two running in parallel, your LIS will be just divided/2 at the crossroads.

Roads have limit on logistic points, game will split it in the most insane paths if a road is on its limit.

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Just because you can 'finish' the game by employing endless autism, it doesn't mean it isn't horribly broken or filled with retarded micromanagement. The game is ridiculously easy, since the AI is braindead, it means shit. I finished it many times also.

This game makes tasks which could be trivially automated an endless chore.

You seriously bought this game and complain about "endless autism"? Really makes me think.

Beowulf

Arcane

Roads have limit on logistic points, game will split it in the most insane paths if a road is on its limit.

That's interesting. Where can I find information about that, I don't think manual mentions it anywhere, does it?

asfasdf

robot
Patron
What is your point? A complex game doesn't need to be a micromanagement hell. It can be good without being stupid, which isn't the case here.

asfasdf

robot
Patron
That's interesting. Where can I find information about that, I don't think manual mentions it anywhere, does it?

I barely read the manual, I consulted it just for the more arcane hidden stats. I saw it in-game mostly, you can apply the logistic layer to see what the game is doing, and understand how it works.

asfasdf

robot
Patron
Another side note, more as a word of caution. Last game I played was on slowest development, and game got so long that things like stratagems started to bug out, and I had to abandon it. So better to avoid it for now

Beowulf

Arcane

I barely read the manual, I consulted it just for the more arcane hidden stats. I saw it in-game mostly, you can apply the logistic layer to see what the game is doing, and understand how it works.

Ok. I have never seen roads limiting my LIS throughput other than reducing trucks action points. I've been running Truck Stations V and roads handled a couple of thousands LIS just fine.

Beowulf

Arcane
If that was the case you could just have dirty roads eveywhere.

No, as the sealed roads double your range. And rail works a little bit different. Give me an example of how dirt roads are limiting your LIS, please.

Hoggypare

Savant
Well, You are wrong about most things, and the (admittedly not many) things You are not wrong about, You don't like - and those same things (fiddling, complexity, decisions, etc.) tend to be reasons why people in this thread seem to generally enjoy the game for - so Your posts are basically half misinformation and half opinions.
Hard to really argue against that.

I respect Your right to dislike complex games and I won't fault You for Your inability and lack of will to understand their systems. However, You should have known from any of the posts in this thread that this game is not for You apparently.
I am unsure what are You trying to achieve here however, beyond farming the 'retadred' rating by writing multiple posts that amount to 'me not like game'

Beowulf

Arcane
Fanboyism, the thread.

No man. I agreed with some of your points. The game also has its faults, and if you think there's to much micromanagement for you than that's it - the game is not for you.

But you are also criticising the game and rating my posts as retarded, while you don't understand base mechanics and post wrong information.

Here - look - that's a single road:
q4z6zi8.jpg

That's a double road:
LyX2g39.jpg

It's even split, and it's ~16k on a single road. Where do you see that limit on single road, that running two roads give you more total throughput from the same source?

Single tracks are fine to move >10k LIS:
DeUo1eP.png

asfasdf

robot
Patron
Fanboyism, the thread.

No man. I agreed with some of your points. The game also has its faults, and if you think there's to much micromanagement for you than that's it - the game is not for you.

That is a poor argument. In fact, micromanagement is fine when you are dealing with fine tuning parts of the game. What is not fine is when micromanagement deals with: 1) mechanics that are trivially automated; 2) When you have to fight poorly designed in-game mechanics which insists in disrupting everything you do. Take emperor of the fading sun for example. It is a game with tons of micromanagement. Some of them violate number 1, but it is fine. This game, however, massively violates 1 and 2 so, yes, it will get all the criticism it deserves.

About roads, people, the manual is not some God written tome where everything not mentioned don't exist. Look here:

https://imgur.com/a/X80cKYt

But I am sure it is sending the supplies via forest because the road would be much more expensive, not because it is saturated.

Hoggypare

Savant
Fanboyism, the thread.

That is a poor argument. In fact, micromanagement is fine when you are dealing with fine tuning parts of the game. What is not fine is when micromanagement deals with: 1) mechanics that are trivially automated; 2) When you have to fight poorly designed in-game mechanics which insists in disrupting everything you do. Take emperor of the fading sun for example. It is a game with tons of micromanagement. Some of them violate number 1, but it is fine. This game, however, massively violates 1 and 2 so, yes, it will get all the criticism it deserves.

About roads, people, the manual is not some God written tome where everything not mentioned don't exist. Look here:

https://imgur.com/a/X80cKYt

But I am sure it is sending the supplies via forest because the road would be much more expensive, not because it is saturated.

So...
You created some arbitrary rules
Then, claimed the game does not fulfil the arbitrary rules, without providing any example or argument
Therefore, game bad

Oh boi
But it continues - You say something about manual (why?), then provide a screenshot that does not show anything related to Your claims (there is not even a supply line there passing the forest).
You also have it display utilized points, not those that are available, so I am absolutely puzzled what are You even arguing for.

Look man, it does not matter how many times You say the same thing, or how loud - it still stays the same baseless opinion.
You are like a vegan that goes to the steakhouse and screams that there is a dead animal on his plate...

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
Think from this post and the previous he does not see there's several tabs for logistic , initial points, currents points, and used points then color settings to show distribution areas as there's unit pickup lines connecting to the roads. Thats why he think he needs parallel roads .There's no LIS limit on any road just the range being different, you can spam truck station and base supply on dirt roads it works , just cost ineficient .Thats an error to do parallel roads the good way to do it is minimize the cost doing one good road easy to defend and going through easiest terrain .
Well! Glad to see asf is having fun with the game... in his own way.
It's in no way micro management hell, its a wargame battlemap, you need to reroute yourself logistic with trafic signs according your campaign and save precious ressources.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
This game is broken beyond belief. Zone management is some micromanagement hell, who had the brilliant idea to add worker migration and this nonsensical retarded 'strain' garbage? I have to fucking deploy colonists and delegate stuff every damn turn just to keep industries working.

Whoever made this zone borders tool can go get shot. Really, I have to manually 'paint' 1 hex everywhere just to make this game even remotely functional.

Also fuck you with these retarded 'decisions' every turn. Having to click confirm on the endless budgets every turn is what I always wanted. Just let me set the budget once and fuck off. Character 'relations' are stupid, like in any game which includes these garbage.

Logistical system is also nightmarish, wtf are maglev points and how do they work. I add a billion rail stations everywhere and still there are 'bottlenecks'. Also drawing parallel railroads is a nightmare, game refuses to let me build to the adjacent hex.

Maybe in a decade or so this game will be anywhere near good.
maglev points is probably the amount of logistical points you get on the rail line with the station. I highly doubt doubling the amount of rail lines would provide any benefit compared to upgrading the train stations to get more points.
for industries, the best is usually to create the roads yourself, or to create new cities so that you don't have anything beyond the 6 hex limit to remove strain.
Budgets have to be confirmed every year, not every turn, but yes, it is kind of pointless as you can ask to change them to be changed by yourself.

My main issue with micro management is that once you get several zones (ie SHQ), SHQ1 would rather sell grain to traders than remedy shortage in SHQ2 so you have to manually ferry them.
The amount of stuff you can carry on a road also depends on the level and number of truckstations, so it's better to build more stations than to double roads.
upgrading roads is different, it makes you expand less truck point per hex crossed, so it is also helpful.

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
I went full mad max in my recent game (light tanks supported by rovers), but ran out of metal to mine (so all I have for resource output is now a single recycler...).
I guess I need to go soviet style human waves now.
It is true that slight radiations doesn't seem to affect units much.
My militia in scratch built enviro suits seems not to be affected by it too much.
I don't think there is any downside to using radioactive water either.

yMnPx9q.png

An area totally worth fighting over!

Last edited:

Beowulf

Arcane
I went full mad max in my recent game (light tanks supported by rovers), but ran out of metal to mine (so all I have for resource output is now a single recycler...).
I guess I need to go soviet style human waves now.
It is true that slight radiations doesn't seem to affect units much.
My militia in scratch built enviro suits seems not to be affected by it too much.
I don't think there is any downside to using radioactive water either.

yMnPx9q.png

An area totally worth fighting over!

Basic envirosuits give you -100 RAD. That means that with the most basic protection you can go into zones with RAD <500 without suffering deaths to your troops (and it's only 5% at that point), and you won't suffer readiness or morale penalties at all in zones with RAD <150.
I've yet to see a hex with RAD>500. And most likely you will want to equip your foot soldiers (since they will have to do most of the work on a worlds starved formetal) in combat armor, and that bumps the radiation threshold by 200 RAD.
So yeah, the environmental hazards don't seem that hazardous.

Depending on the history of the world (if there was a mining industry before the war), you may want to beeline for Metal Soil Filtration tech. Unless you can scavenge ruins. If you had some mining industry you can try your luck with increasing spending on prospecting.

Last edited:

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
The thermo and enviro suits are useful mostly on cold planets, because negative temperatures apply readiness debuff on infantry otherwise. Interestingly high temperatures that affect Terran farming (60'C) don't affect units at all. They can run on lava planets in plain uniform.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom