Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Outward is hard as shit (Rant)

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Edit: If you don't end up reading the whole thread, I do a complete 180 and fall in love with this game. I recommend you try it and stick with it for at least a few days even if you initially hate it.

I've been messing with this game in between studying for exams. It's hard man! Like everything more than just bandits or hyenas that I fight messes me up. I gave like half my stamina to the mountain to get magic, but none of my spells do anything until I get reagents or more spells to combine with them. The flamethrower one is kind of good but my mana is always at half because it goes to half when you sleep (bullshit!) and it doesn't regen without potions and food that I never have the ingredients to craft. It's like everything I try to do the game says "lol no you need a potion/food/item that you don't have". Does magic ever become worth it? With all the restrictions it seems like you give up your stats for spells you hardly ever get to cast. Like today I trekked through a dungeon and found a dude who taught me spells and ALL OF THEM in HIS ENTIRE SCHOOL OF MAGIC needed to be combined with spells he DOESN'T TEACH to actually do anything. I couldn't afford to buy his high level ones (and didn't want to spend a breakthrough point) but none of them did anything on their own anyway.

When I finally do get to cast actual offensive spells they had better be overpowered as FUCK. You need special teas and food so you actually have mana, you need to reagents to cast the spells and you need to combine the spells for them to actually do anything. So is all that shit worth it? Is magic significantly better than archery when you finally get to do it? Should I just start again and say fuck magic? 90% of my kills come from using archery and abusing the enemies' shitty pathfinding. I'd hoped to move past this tactic but I'm thinking about restarting and focusing my build around this strategy. I really wanted to make a mage because of the giant wizard hats but my backpack clips though them anyway and it looks terrrible!

Last edited:

user

Savant
When I heard about Outward, a survival rpg that pulled no punches, I jizzed in my pants. But in the end, I could never really get into it because of the consumables and the magic system. And character progression seemed bland unlike, say, Kenshi, in which you started as a wimp and eventually became a master. So I am interested in an answer to this as well.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
OMG fuck this game. I played it again today and I'm so angry I want to kill someone. I want to find the developers and cut their nuts off, cover them in salt, shove them down their dickholes and piss in their eyes and laugh at them while they are dying in agony. I went to the second map and everything I fight kills me. Even the fucking deer. My bow does nothing to them, or any of the enemies in this area. It would take like 50 arrows to kill one of these deer and they're fast. I even got some bow skills and they don't really help. I die, respawn somewhere else, die, respawn. Playing this game is like being in hell. It's fucking BULLSHIT! I wish I could stop. I'm not enjoying it at all but I'm hooked for some reason. I get killed, go back for revenge, get killed by something else on the way, get angrier and angrier and angrier. The angrier I get the stupider my deaths are. I'm not even getting better. I don't even know HOW to get better at this piece of shit game. When you die in like 2-4 hits and your enemy takes 50 WTF are you meant to do?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
OMG fuck this game. I played it again today and I'm so angry I want to kill someone. I want to find the developers and cut their nuts off, cover them in salt, shove them down their dickholes and piss in their eyes and laugh at them while they are dying in agony. I went to the second map and everything I fight kills me. Even the fucking deer. My bow does nothing to them, or any of the enemies in this area. It would take like 50 arrows to kill one of these deer and they're fast. I even got some bow skills and they don't really help. I die, respawn somewhere else, die, respawn. Playing this game is like being in hell. It's fucking BULLSHIT! I wish I could stop. I'm not enjoying it at all but I'm hooked for some reason. I get killed, go back for revenge, get killed by something else on the way, get angrier and angrier and angrier. The angrier I get the stupider my deaths are. I'm not even getting better. I don't even know HOW to get better at this piece of shit game. When you die in like 2-4 hits and your enemy takes 50 WTF are you meant to do?

Good rant

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Archery is pretty bad in Outward, magic is fiddly but a lot better. Strongest build in the game is traps for some reason.

You need https://outward.gamepedia.com/Leyline_Connection in my experience to have fun as a mage, it gives you a permanent normal mana regeneration.

https://outward.gamepedia.com/Build:Archmage this seems to be mostly on point.

You better get used to being well slept, fed and hydrated all the time as a mage, they really need their full MP pool. There are some leaf tents which are really good for that, but you might want to aquire a better backpack as a first goal to hold all your food, teas and your tent.

Also last but not least:

Git gud

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I see you took the Sseth bait. I found that the early game has a lot in common with Gothic games: everyone is stronger than you, you are basically an impaired retard, so you have to cheese the game in every way you can think of until you are capable of doing something.

Some people enjoy this approach, I do as well.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
When I heard about Outward, a survival rpg that pulled no punches, I jizzed in my pants. But in the end, I could never really get into it because of the consumables and the magic system. And character progression seemed bland unlike, say, Kenshi, in which you started as a wimp and eventually became a master. So I am interested in an answer to this as well.

One of the best things about Kenshi is your character visually changing as their stats increase. I wish more games would show visible progression on characters.

I liked how Gothic in a similar vein gave you faster and more badass looking combat animations as your weapon skills increased.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Game of the year 2019. If you really want to stick with bow you'll need to get a better one as soon as you get to the next area. Buy the recipe and hunt for the ingredients. Or go axes. They share the skill tree you already went down so unless you took some of the options that lock you out of others you'll be fine. If you can't get the ingredients you need yourself lure the enemies to other enemies to help you.

Drowed

Arcane
I wish more games would show visible progression on characters.
Fable, man

agree.jpg

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
I know some men who are friends with the game's main developper. As I understand it, he believes himself to be some kind of entrepreneurial genius. He made it and accomplished his dream, and now your suffering fuels his superiority complex and his parvenu personnality. It's amazing. Winners and loosers. Remember that. You got plebs who just don't have it, and the rising man, the one who takes destiny into his own hands ; so play this game with a purpose, realise the dream, go all the way!!!

Efe

Erudite
make that easy fish dish for mana regen.
first map has an abundance of fishing spots.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I know some men who are friends with the game's main developper. As I understand it, he believes himself to be some kind of entrepreneurial genius. He made it and accomplished his dream, and now your suffering fuels his superiority complex and his parvenu personnality.

You have to be crazy to go into game dev, so it checks out

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I know some men who are friends with the game's main developper. As I understand it, he believes himself to be some kind of entrepreneurial genius. He made it and accomplished his dream, and now your suffering fuels his superiority complex and his parvenu personnality. It's amazing. Winners and loosers. Remember that. You got plebs who just don't have it, and the rising man, the one who takes destiny into his own hands ; so play this game with a purpose, realise the dream, go all the way!!!
This sounds juicy. Can you give us any more information?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

overly excitable young man

Nah Outward is shitty as shit. Leave the fucking game alone. Isnt worth your time.

Have you considered you're just bad at games
Have you considered that you're a boring old fuck who can't have fun with interesting stuff anymore and therefore needs games with half an hour of downtime so you dont get overstimulated?

I didn't know Red Pandas were so thin-skinned
Youll pay for what you have done to me and my family!

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I see you took the Sseth bait. I found that the early game has a lot in common with Gothic games: everyone is stronger than you, you are basically an impaired retard, so you have to cheese the game in every way you can think of until you are capable of doing something.

Some people enjoy this approach, I do as well.

Sseth has the talent to make garbage games seem spectacular. He is the ultimate shill. Most people watch his videos and think those -mostly niche- games he reviews are the GOATs, but are more like trash that he just made funny reviews of...

BarbequeMasta

Learned
Traps, In outward if you have enough traps you can kill god. It's the literal definition of cheese though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom