Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Management / Sim Nebuchadnezzar - Ancient Mesopotamian city-builder

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
http://nepos.games/nebuchadnezzar/

https://af.gog.com/game/nebuchadnezzar?as=1649904300

Nebuchadnezzar is a classic isometric city builder game inviting players to experience the mysterious history and culture of ancient Mesopotamia. In the campaign, players get to rule over influential historical cities filled with magnificent monuments.

ss_bd290d784b10fd11e6ec843a0c64fbbf6a1e6da5.600x338.jpg
ss_1a7d901decb778a0cb062fd0a8aca3254c293a02.600x338.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
No shit, someone is making a proper Impressions city builder clone. Would be interested to see if it's a straight clone like it looks or if they iterated on the formula in some interesting way, besides painting ziggurats in fabulous colors.

I like how the map overlay looks like total dogshit though. Like one of the devs hacked it together 20 minutes before recording the trailer.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
No shit, someone is making a proper Impressions city builder clone. Would be interested to see if it's a straight clone like it looks or if they iterated on the formula in some interesting way, besides painting ziggurats in fabulous colors.

I like how the map overlay looks like total dogshit though. Like one of the devs hacked it together 20 minutes before recording the trailer.

It's an ultra-indie project, the "studio" are only 2 core people (former Euro Truck 2 devs). And it's a Pharaoh homage first and foremost.

Binky

Cipher
Last edited by a moderator:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Hey, cool, I thought it was vaporware.

Too bad they didn't change those melonheads, but eh.

Last edited:

Aemar

Arcane
It looks like a straight clone. At least it has modding support.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
In a post-Tropico world, the walker mechanic seems like a step back. I think it's something they did back in the mid-1990s because the hardware couldn't support anything better and it was easy to do. But it means you're not really building a city, you're just playing out this abstract puzzle where you're tricking your walkers into following the path you want.

Geisler

Educated
In a post-Tropico world, the walker mechanic seems like a step back. I think it's something they did back in the mid-1990s because the hardware couldn't support anything better and it was easy to do. But it means you're not really building a city, you're just playing out this abstract puzzle where you're tricking your walkers into following the path you want.
Unfortunately this comes with the territory, there's been a few of Impressions Games clones now and they all feature this gimmick (eg Lethis).

Farewell into the night

I love the birds at the beginning of the video.

Grim Monk

Arcane
I am a bit worried about that Ziggurat building from the trailer.

In old Impressions Games similar structures required special outlay of manpower and delivery of resources. They where built in stages which took time and there was a feeling of your city being "mobalized" for a great work.

Edit: Added Clip for Example.

Here they just got plop it down and "BAM INSTENT ZIGGURAT" like you are playing Sim City...

Last edited:

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
Heh, someone decided to jump straight to a Children of the Nile-like sequel. Sumeria, a hot topic in 2020 apparently.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
does it have Caesar 2 tier combat? I need a combat minigame.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Looking at the screenshots, the sprawling rigid grid structure of the cities and square buildings reminds me good old Soviet architecture. I would expect a two millennia old city to have a more organic layout, even ancient Rome cities based on a square rule look less rigid.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
Yeah they don't seem to have much sprite variations for the houses. They're there but too similar.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom