Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Commandos-Like Desperados III from Mimimi Productions (Shadow Tactics devs) - now with Money for the Vultures DLC

Jezal_k23

18 was an incredibly optimistic number to hope for. 13 is fine.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just finished the game. The final boss is a basically a huge teamwork puzzle, which is obviously perfect as it tests everything you've learned over the course of the game. Much better than the weird knockoff Crash Bandicoot final boss battle in Desperados 1.

Final impressions: Fantastic game, guaranteed day one purchase, hope they make another one, and Isabelle MVP.
where are you gonna post your review?

ADL

Prophet
Just finished the game. The final boss is a basically a huge teamwork puzzle, which is obviously perfect as it tests everything you've learned over the course of the game. Much better than the weird knockoff Crash Bandicoot final boss battle in Desperados 1.

Final impressions: Fantastic game, guaranteed day one purchase, hope they make another one, and Isabelle MVP.
Glad to hear it. Gonna pick the digital deluxe edition on GOG which includes some expansion content coming later this year.

Lemming42

Arcane
how did he get his review copy then?

It's just a pirate copy, it was somehow leaked to piracy sites a few days ago. I don't think anyone associated with the Codex is important enough to get review copies of anything anymore :negative:

Glad to hear it. Gonna pick the digital deluxe edition on GOG which includes some expansion content coming later this year.

Oh shit, I didn't know there were some expansion levels coming. That's great news, definitely gonna pick that up from GOG.

Jezal_k23

How difficult is the game? Last half of Shadow Tactics was pretty hardcore.

Lemming42

Arcane
Definitely easier than Shadow Tactics, largely due to it being far more willing to let you mess around and do stupid things whereas Shadow Tactics always felt to me like it was more about trying to figure out the specific moves the devs wanted you to do. Still a good challenge, especially non-lethal, and the difficulty scales up nicely over the course of the game. There's also some difficulty options to make it easier or harder which I didn't check out.

It's about as hard as Desperados 1, except there's no built-in cheat mode equivalent to placing the rattlesnake at the top of ladders.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's just a pirate copy, it was somehow leaked to piracy sites a few days ago. I don't think anyone associated with the Codex is important enough to get review copies of anything anymore
i thought you were from a curator or other fan/pro site lol. it's ok. i got mine tru curator connect.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
How difficult is the game? Last half of Shadow Tactics was pretty hardcore.
Quite tough. Barely started 12 and spending 2.5 - 3.5 hours per mission on the hardest difficulty. I watched some missions played on YouTube on normal and that shit is easy as there are enemies missing. Desperado difficulty puts more enemies on the map and you feel it. Non lethal is out of the question unless played on easier difficulties.

Kitchen Utensil

Definitely easier than Shadow Tactics, largely due to it being far more willing to let you mess around and do stupid things whereas Shadow Tactics always felt to me like it was more about trying to figure out the specific moves the devs wanted you to do. [...]

That sounds like decline.
Shadow Tactics only really felt that way because it was so fucking perfectly tight a design. I'm replaying it for a third time just now (not going to finish before Deperados 3 drops), and it lets you do a lot of different solutions. My first playthrough I thought the same thing: 'meh, there's only one or maybe two solutions.' But that's not true. There are one or two obvious ways to solve the encounters, but there are several more which are possible if you think things through and use Shadow Mode to your advantage. That's what's so great about Shadow Tactics; it seems so incredibly restrictive, yet on second thought, it isn't.
I hope Desperados 3 doesn't turn out to be trivial.

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
How is ST hardcore. It has 3 enemy types.
Redshirts that can be pulled. Might as well not exist...
Stationary guards.
Samurai.

Literaly the only setup that I remember being any kind of puzzle is stationary guards on towers with a samura+2xguard patrol and restricted access to the tower.
And the puzzle is working out how to get to the tower... by pulling redshirts.

Alarms are not even map-global and spawn like 4 redshirts worst-case... And your samurai has an AOE kill slash lol.

Otherwise its a 1 char game...

Even the stationaries are timed such, so that you can turn them around with noise, then kill a guy they were watching in a striped area (like someone on a tower...) and the killed guy drops to the floor and becomes invisible before they turn around...

Commandos 1 still the hardest RTTBAS!

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Got it. It activates in 18 hours but wont be able to play it till wednesday but extra DLC for free was enough bait.
Also demo was enough to convince me.

Jinn

Arcane
Was going to buy it first thing when it came out, so I decided I might as well go for the pre-purchase deluxe edition too. Very excited to play tomorrow! Wish it was today.

Jezal_k23

5D62ezk.png

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Btw again for cheapskates like me, if you got a humble choice sub you get 20% on anything on their store, got my steam key for 39.99 overthere.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Btw again for cheapskates like me, if you got a humble choice sub you get 20% on anything on their store, got my steam key for 39.99 overthere.

Humblebundle store? I bought it there but still haven't gotten a key.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron

Humblebundle store? I bought it there but still haven't gotten a key.
Its coming today. It is a bit lame from them sending a mail that says Reedem Now and you click there and there's nothing yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom