Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen - Chaos Chronicles reborn and dead again

moleman

Arbiter
Patron
German magazine Gamestar made a preview. Unfortunately behind a paywall.

https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/realms-beyond-beta-gameplay-preview,3358833.html

Contains interview with lead level designer and lead writer.
Most of the stuff is already known but anyway:
  • 50 h for a playthrough, has two major factions, if you want to see story from both sides, add 50 h for second playthrough
  • no level-scaling
  • no companions, full player party creation
  • starts on a prison island
  • early access release between september 2020 to beginning 2021 on steam and gog
  • early access version has starter area with a few quests, all relelevant mechanics and mod tools

Last edited:

Aemar

Arcane
50 h for a playthrough, has two major factions, if you want to see story from both sides, add 50 h for second playthrough
To be honest, gameplay time doesn't seem that impressive given the amount of locations on the world map. I wouldn't mind paying for some additional content via DLCs or expansions, but at least the game comes with a solid set of modding tools which can add extra content.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
50 h for a playthrough, has two major factions, if you want to see story from both sides, add 50 h for second playthrough
To be honest, gameplay time doesn't seem that impressive given the amount of locations on the world map. I wouldn't mind paying for some additional content via DLCs or expansions, but at least the game comes with a solid set of modding tools which can add extra content.
i wish we’d stop the ridiculous race for more gameplay hours someday
anyway i think it is referring only the main game which involves only a fracture of the world map.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Companions were a mistake and an unnecessary waste of development resources leading to degenerate behavior like romances.
The extensive and overwrought writing that was used for companions was an unnecessary waste. Companions like in BG1 add a lot to the atmosphere and lessens the feeling of playing alone with yourself.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Companions were a mistake and an unnecessary waste of development resources leading to degenerate behavior like romances.
The extensive and overwrought writing that was used for companions was an unnecessary waste. Companions like in BG1 add a lot to the atmosphere and lessens the feeling of playing alone with yourself.

True, playing with yourself in good company is usually preferable to lonely masturbation.

Dorateen

Arcane
kvlguux.jpg

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Nice. I'm curious, do you think a cleric would do better solo? Does Combat Reflexes work with reach weapons the same way as in TOEE?

Okay, so I tested combat reflexes on a barbarian with a reach weapon, and the AI is much smarter than in ToEE. They move up to one square away and then wait until the next turn and make a five-foot, avoiding taking an AoO as much as possible. So don't think that will be a viable exploit.

Eh this is even more exploitable. Hit em, 5ft step back, repeat.

User0001

Savant
Nice. I'm curious, do you think a cleric would do better solo? Does Combat Reflexes work with reach weapons the same way as in TOEE?

Okay, so I tested combat reflexes on a barbarian with a reach weapon, and the AI is much smarter than in ToEE. They move up to one square away and then wait until the next turn and make a five-foot, avoiding taking an AoO as much as possible. So don't think that will be a viable exploit.

Eh this is even more exploitable. Hit em, 5ft step back, repeat.

They can kamikaze once and you won't get any more.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
no companions, full player party creation

while i somewhat agree with this, i tend to think that a good written characters were most welcome in the original BG. it is the overemphasis on companions and romancing options in the second BG that spoiled the party, making it the rpg disney land. beamdog proved this by adding more romancing stuff along with more stupidity overall trying to cater everyone, ending in a complete flop.

V_K

Arcane
The only right way to do companions is like in Wizardry 8 or Realms of Arkania - you create your whole party, and on top of that can pick one or two companions. Everything else is decadent storyfaggotry.

Kliwer

Savant
Personally, I really don't like full party creation. Pre-generated companions with dialogues and banters are much more interesting to me. Of course you can overdo it. Everyone always mentions only BG2, where companions are (maybe) too talkative. But there are games like Drakensang, where our companions were written more sparingly (which some of You may like more). Besides, it's really hard to identify with a group of six, which kills the aspect of playing a role for me (because which role do you play?).

Apart from the story aspect, pre-generated companies are more interesting from a tactical perspective; instead of leading a power-gaming team of killing machines (which is damn boring), we are leading a real group. We have to adapt our tactics to the available characters, accept their weaknesses and suboptimal attributes. We have to accept that not every combination of classes will be available to us (e.g. due to alignment differences, as in BG1), that we will have to use less powerful weapons (because our warrior has skill points in short swords). We will have to think about how to use less powerful spells etc. It amuses me much more and games such as BG1, BG2 and Drakensang are ideal for me in this respect.

For me, this aspect makes the difference between a real RPG and a tactical game. And shit companions from the Dragon Age gay universe can't change that.

V_K

Arcane
instead of leading a power-gaming team of killing machines (which is damn boring), we are leading a real group. We have to adapt our tactics to the available characters, accept their weaknesses and suboptimal attributes
Why don't you play JRPGs then? Seems like a perfect genre for you - no character customization whatsoever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom