Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Keep in mind only player characters will use sprites in the first module, the monsters still use tokens despite the trailer with the skeletons as sprites. at least until we get our first sprites update which can take months+

I know that, i'm just disgruntled about the outcome, even if the kickstarter is successful and Pierre did what he could, i'm quite sure 100-150K was within reach with a lot of efforts and a marketing expert leading the charge.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
He just needed a few ads like Evony.

evony+01.jpg

Aegidius

Educated
Keep in mind only player characters will use sprites in the first module, the monsters still use tokens despite the trailer with the skeletons as sprites. at least until we get our first sprites update which can take months+

I know that, i'm just disgruntled about the outcome, even if the kickstarter is successful and Pierre did what he could, i'm quite sure 100-150K was within reach with a lot of efforts and a marketing expert leading the charge.

Hmm, I don't really see that potential outcome. This is a very niche game. I'm really excited for KotC2 and backed on day 1. But, let's be clear eyed about it. It's 2020, not early 2010s at the height of KS frenzy for video games. The graphic/artstyle of KotC1 / KotC2 is pre-1990s and despite the great gameplay that immediately makes it very niche. For comparison, check out Realms Beyond. Both are CRPGs, both are using OGL 3.5. It Kickstarted just a few years ago after the KS frenzy. It only made around $120k and it's artstyle / graphics is comparable to Baldur's Gate games. No marketing expert would be able to more than double Pierre's likely eventual KS take to be above $100k.

By the way, Pierre is doing a great job in doing KS updates, social media posts, AMA on reddit and opening a Discord server. I got to be honest, that is way way way more than I expected him to do for the KS. Given this activity, I view the money he's getting on KS to be close to maximized for the game he is selling.

ralphonzo

Novice

You thought Pierre wouldn't squander the opportunity to enrich himself? 50-75%+ discount Steam sales of KotC1 in the lead-up and some commissioned sprites to show off would have sealed the deal and kept him eating non-roots with the proceeds of expansion modules for years to come. Quality expansions are probably still a sure thing because the guy is more devout than he is practical, but he'll be eating fucking roots. Pierre Begue: Avatar of Lost Opportunities since a-longass-time-ago. Psyched to see this game do okay despite all the dev's efforts to fuck up the cashflow because the game/engine is going to be great regardless. Self-loathing geniuses are the best.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
By the way, Pierre is doing a great job in doing KS updates, social media posts, AMA on reddit and opening a Discord server. I got to be honest, that is way way way more than I expected him to do for the KS. Given this activity, I view the money he's getting on KS to be close to maximized for the game he is selling.

Sure, but what can you do when you have no media coverage by yourself ?

I'd have tried to get a Sseth KotC review to launch on kickstarter's day 1 along with some influential people who like old-school combat focused cRPG.
And the picture above is also a good idea, why not getting onboard some cosplayers interested in cRPG helping out ?
I'm sure there's some cheap mutual profitable deals to be made.

It's a bit late now and i see his efforts but look at the re-tweet numbers, he clearly has 0 coverage.

Aegidius

Educated

Sure, but what can you do when you have no media coverage by yourself ?

I'd have tried to get a Sseth KotC review to launch on kickstarter's day 1 along with some influential people who like old-school combat focused cRPG.
And the picture above is also a good idea, why not getting onboard some cosplayers interested in cRPG helping out ?
I'm sure there's some cheap mutual profitable deals to be made.

It's a bit late now and i see his efforts but look at the re-tweet numbers, he clearly has 0 coverage.

Fair enough ... If a hired marketing person has the personal connections to get his KS exposure with some gaming sites and gaming influencers it probably be worth it.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

We are now 1 ( golden knight ) backer away from reaching the next money stretch goal

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-revolutionise-old-school-crpgs/posts/2865519

Update #20: How to Fight Enemy Spellcasters in KotC 2!

How to Fight Enemy Spellcasters in KotC 2

Hello everyone! In this update, we will provide some advice on the tactics that your Heroic Party can use to fight enemy spellcasters in KotC 2. Spellcasters can be broadly categorised according to their level:

1) Low-level casters are the typical ‘glass canons’. They have the ability to hurt your party by firing a single spell like Sleep, Glitterdust, Stinking Cloud or Fireball. However, they are physically weak and can be defeated easily.

2) Mid-level casters are more resilient as they are often protected by Mirror Image and Stoneskin Personal. They are dangerous opponents. Therefore, it’s a good idea to concentrate your party’s initial attacks on them. Watch out for spells such as Solid Fog, Frailty, Cone of Cold and Chain Lightning.

3) High-level casters are among the most difficult opponents faced by the party. They usually benefit from a range of permanent protective spells and protective magic items.

334703b3089747d9348bb43aa440b099_original.png

The most dangerous casters are those who can start combat by casting Accelerated Spell on themselves, immediately followed by Prismatic Void, Weird or Meteor Shower during the first round.

These spells are very disruptive to the party, especially if the enemy can cast them two times in quick succession. Therefore, your party has a much better chance of survival if it gets to act first and if it makes intelligent use of the Ready Versus Spell special initiative action.

Give your own casters the feat Improved Initiative and increase their Dexterity and Initiative bonus with magic items such as the Ring of Initiative, Belt of the Fighter, Boots of Initiative and Bracers of Dexterity.

Let your spellcasters cast Accelerated Spell in the first round, followed by an offensive spell, followed by a Ready Versus Spell action targeted at one of the enemy casters who have not yet had their turn during the current round.

When your Ready Versus Spell action is triggered by the enemy caster, consider using a damaging spell or psionic power that bypasses Spell Resistance, such as Vortex of Doom, Hail of Crystals, Whirlwind or Earthquake. Prismatic Void, Weird and Meteor Shower can also be very effective.

If one of your casters, such as a Bishop, cannot cast Accelerated Spell, while another of your casters, such as a Wizard, can cast it, then consider having the second character cast Accelerated Spell on the first character, so that both of your casters will be able to cast two spells per round.

A number of additional spells and weapon enchantments deserve a special mention here:

• Stinking Cloud: This medium-range spell has no Spell Resistance check and it triggers a Fortitude Saving Throw. Therefore, casters are very vulnerable to this spell.
  • Quicksand: This long-range level-two Druid spell has no Spell Resistance check and it triggers a Reflex Saving Throw. Therefore, casters are very vulnerable to this spell.
  • Antimagic Cloud: Casting this long-range spell on enemy spellcasters can be a very effective tactic.
  • Silence and Zone of Silence: These simple long-range spells can also be very effective. However, psionic-power manifesters are unaffected and some enemies may have the feat Metamagic Silent.
  • Acid Arrow: This long-range level-two Wizard spell has no Spell Resistance check and affected targets may have to succeed on concentration checks to cast.
  • Turn Pebble to Boulder: This long-range Druid spell has no Spell Resistance check.
  • The spells Dispel Magic and Greater Dispel Magic can be used to remove the beneficial magic effects of enemy casters, such as Accelerated Spell and Mirror Image.
  • The Time Cleric Domain, the spells Slow and Time Control and the Slowing weapon enchantment may be useful, as a Slowed caster with Accelerated Spell can no longer cast two spells per round.
  • Both the spell Lower Spell and Power Resistance and the weapon enchantment Shattermantle can be used to reduce a target’s Spell Resistance.
  • Dispelling weapons may also be useful in removing the enemy’s protective magic.
Social Goals Report and Links
Today we've had a really nice increase in pledges and the number of backers!! Yay! When I checked, we were about two backers away from reaching the campaign's Third Stretch Goal on the Kickstarter campaign page! Fireworks are in order and will surely come very soon. Thank You, Heroes!!

In addition, we've just reached the Second Social Goal for Twitter followers! This means that the game will benefit from extra adventure-module settings allowing module creators to specify the allowed and disallowed player races and classes. Hurray!! :)

7f166a110b573019f767ebb7888c1a24_original.png

All of the following links can be used to help us reach the next Social Goals and further increase awareness of the Knights of the Chalice 2 Kickstarter campaign among CRPG lovers:

Next Updates About Knights of the Chalice 2
The next video update about KotC 2 will be published on 18 June. It will be the Second Combat Video in a series of five combat videos!

The next non-video update will be published on 20 June. It will explain how to set the AI of enemy spellcasters to create memorable encounters!

The Campaign for Knights of the Chalice 2 will end in 15 Days, So Please Keep Spreading the Word! Thank You, Legendary Heroes of the Realm!! ^^

Dorateen

Arcane
Stinking Cloud has been a favorite since the days of SSI Gold Box. Even if it didn't render a spell caster helpless (vulnerable to a one hit kill) they might still cough and gag, disrupting their magic. Worked on powerful enemies, too, and could be placed to tactically shape the battlefield.

Mortmal

Arcane

Hmm, I don't really see that potential outcome. This is a very niche game. I'm really excited for KotC2 and backed on day 1. But, let's be clear eyed about it. It's 2020, not early 2010s at the height of KS frenzy for video games. The graphic/artstyle of KotC1 / KotC2 is pre-1990s and despite the great gameplay that immediately makes it very niche. For comparison, check out Realms Beyond. Both are CRPGs, both are using OGL 3.5. It Kickstarted just a few years ago after the KS frenzy. It only made around $120k and it's artstyle / graphics is comparable to Baldur's Gate games. No marketing expert would be able to more than double Pierre's likely eventual KS take to be above $100k.

You are wrong it's not so niche anymore there's a revival of the genre , a tabletop 5E book with nice illustrations gather 200K+ on kickstarter, just a book with pretty pictures , it probably require lot less effort to do one than a videogame . D&D is very popular , new people are getting in ,a new player base more interested to post their sexy tabaxi character pic in r/dnd than discussing mechanics although . But there's still the old nerds with heavy wallets too ,i'll say it again its the same demographics buying star citizen ships and custom golden plated D20 dices(dont touch my dices , thanks) .
The presentation is critical , the original art for kotc 2 is a disaster turning people away, mixing sprites with those awful pogs and keeping the abominable class pictures wont do it . There's no need of marketing experts , exemple are numerous , tabletop kickstarters are gathering ton of money kotc 2 stagnates at 30K . Queen's wish is nowhereas deep and complex than what pierre is offering, nowhere near. Yet it gather 98K, cause it looks good enough, not fantastic, but good enough, a vogel's game.... If i were him i'd be sick at those missing 70K.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Stinking Cloud has been a favorite since the days of SSI Gold Box. Even if it didn't render a spell caster helpless (vulnerable to a one hit kill) they might still cough and gag, disrupting their magic. Worked on powerful enemies, too, and could be placed to tactically shape the battlefield.

Stinking Cloud is the most OP spell in the entire D&D spell catalogue.

Dorateen

Arcane

Stinking Cloud is the most OP spell in the entire D&D spell catalogue.

I say, why cast Wish or Time Stop on a wizard, when you can make him throw up all over his robes!

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The next monetary stretch goal has been achieved, unlocking the feature of Spell shortcut system ( KOTC1 did not have this )

BlueSalamander

Heroic Fantasy Games
Developer
I got the impression KMCC would have adequate crowd control to handle the extra battle, as well, but I think most of us who went traditional the first time are planning KMMC for an eventual replay.
I like to do the final battle with KMCC or even MCCC, as True Resurrection helps a lot.

Mixing both is a very bad idea, will just look terrible, thought the plan was to replace both player and monster
Yup, both the player characters and the monsters will have sprites when they're ready. :)

Queen's wish is nowhereas deep and complex than what pierre is offering, nowhere near. Yet it gather 98K, cause it looks good enough, not fantastic, but good enough, a vogel's game
Yes, you're right, the graphic thing can turn off people. But I think that with Queen's Wish, the main factor is that Spiderweb Software has made many RPGs and it probably has 6,000 loyal customers or more.

Where is the KotC 2 demo ?
Sadly, it doesn't have a demo.

Thank you for your support everyone!! :)

Aegidius

Educated

You are wrong it's not so niche anymore there's a revival of the genre , a tabletop 5E book with nice illustrations gather 200K+ on kickstarter, just a book with pretty pictures , it probably require lot less effort to do one than a videogame . D&D is very popular , new people are getting in ,a new player base more interested to post their sexy tabaxi character pic in r/dnd than discussing mechanics although . But there's still the old nerds with heavy wallets too ,i'll say it again its the same demographics buying star citizen ships and custom golden plated D20 dices(dont touch my dices , thanks) .
The presentation is critical , the original art for kotc 2 is a disaster turning people away, mixing sprites with those awful pogs and keeping the abominable class pictures wont do it . There's no need of marketing experts , exemple are numerous , tabletop kickstarters are gathering ton of money kotc 2 stagnates at 30K . Queen's wish is nowhereas deep and complex than what pierre is offering, nowhere near. Yet it gather 98K, cause it looks good enough, not fantastic, but good enough, a vogel's game.... If i were him i'd be sick at those missing 70K.

I agree DnD is not niche, but KotC1 and KotC2 are niche games within that genre because of their pre-90s graphics. A more consistent art style, with better sprites than KotC1 doesn't change that.

I think you make my point with your own words that I have helpfully bolded above. Pretty pictures (dnd book), good graphics (if Star Citizen does one thing right, it's for sure pretty ships), and stylish items (ugh, no accounting for taste ... gold plated dice) sell, sell, sell. The KotC games don't have those things. So what's left? Sex, nostalgia and gameplay. KotC games only have the last one. Hence niche.

I think Vogel with Queen's Wish is being carried by nostalgia from his larger original fan base. Utlimately, I agree with you that a marketing expert probably wouldn't make a big difference. To really make more money on the KS, I think KotC2 would have to be demoing or showing that it would have Baldur's Gate 2, level of art and graphics out of the gate, not as implicit stretch goals at the 200k to 300k pound level.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-revolutionise-old-school-crpgs/posts/2867234

Update #21: The KotC 2 Campaign Has Reached Its Third Stretch Goal! Thank You!

Intrepid Knights of the Kingdom, Rejoice!!

We've Now Reached the Third KotC 2 Stretch Goal!! Hurray! ^^

e237296e44cb49eb50c1eed59467ac72_original.png

Thank You Everyone For Your Support And Glorious Efforts In Spreading The Good Tidings!! :)

The Next Stretch Goal will not be difficult to reach because, so far, we've raised £ 477 from Paypal as well as £ 913 from the RPG Codex fundraiser. This means that to reach the Fourth Stretch Goal of £ 35,000, we only need an extra £ 3,369, or USD 4,237.

Special Thanks to Obsidian for supporting the KotC 2 Campaign on Twitter!! I'm really looking forward to playing the Pillars of Eternity RPG series, I haven't had the chance to do it so far. Neverwinter Nights 2 was really excellent.

Only 15 Days To Go: Please Keep Spreading the Word! ^^
All of the following links can be used to help us reach the next Social Goals and further increase awareness of the Knights of the Chalice 2 Kickstarter campaign among CRPG lovers:

You can also do the following:

• Join our mailing list by registering on HeroicFantasyGames.com forums!
  • Join us on Discord by following the Discord Invite Link!
  • Feel Free to download the promo pack for KotC 2 containing images, GIFs and text!
  • Feel Free to Keep Spreading the Word to your friends and on Reddit, Discord, Steam forums, GOG forums, Skype, Zoom, Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Pinterest, Kickstarter, gaming news websites, indie game developer forums, CRPG forums, D&D forums and Pathfinder forums, so that the campaign will reach its Fourth Stretch Goal very soon! :)
A Den of Stinking Evil is waiting for your Heroic Party!! Brace Yourself For the Ultimate Challenge!! :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom