Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Think Xbox showcase in July will be mostly Halo, Hellblade 2, new Forza Motorsport and some Flight Simulator. All those available at console launch date. Also raytraced Minecraft ofcourse.

Forza Horizon team is rumored to be working on new Fable so maybe a glimpse of that.
New Killer Instinct would be nice but doubt it.
And probably some crap with inclusive gameplay from Double Fine/Obsidian/inXile.

Focus on fidelity and performance, 4k60fps for the whole lot except maybe Hellblade 2.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
So basically PS5 specs will be mid-tier PC specs by the time it is actually released?

Jrpgfan

Erudite
So basically PS5 specs will be mid-tier PC specs by the time it is actually released?

Depends on what you mean by mid-tier. Arguably it's mid-tier now except for the SSD, if you consider the $400-500 GPUs mid-tier.

It's high-end taking current-gen GPUs as reference. No matter what one might think, 16GB RAM, RTX 2080 and 8 core zen2 cpu(it's hard to compare because of different architetures, but this should be a rough approximation) is not mid-tier.

And like some user here said, consoles tend to have lower latencies than PCs, so it probably performs marginally better than a PC with those specs.

When next gen gpus launch though, it will probably underperform if the rumors are true.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's high-end taking current-gen GPUs as reference. No matter what one might think, 16GB RAM, RTX 2080 and 8 core zen2 cpu(it's hard to compare because of different architetures, but this should be a rough approximation) is not mid-tier.

And like some user here said, consoles tend to have lower latencies than PCs, so it probably performs marginally better than a PC with those specs.

I don't think it compares directly to a 2080, but even if it did the 2070 Super refresh basically gives 2080 performance at $500. Is there an argument a $500 GPU is not mid-tier? Of course there is, which is why I said it depends. However there is also an argument it is mid-tier, since there's a 2080 Super and 2080ti above it.

Anyway the console specs are still good for $500-600 or whatever they cost. I'm not knocking console value.

Azdul

Magister

Console parts are not direct equivalents of desktop PC parts. You may compare them to laptop models at best.

Consoles do not have dedicated RAM on GPU - so console with 16 GB is not the same as PC with 16 GB of RAM.
Consoles do not have RTX 2080 - they do have something like 2080 without all RTX cores, and zero bytes of dedicated RAM.
8 core zen 2 CPU - it may be the same zen2 architecture, but underclocked, with less cache and congested bus.

However, you could do a lot worse than buying the console - you could buy "gaming" laptop, which has similarly underperforming, compromised chips - for at least twice the price.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Console parts are not direct equivalents of desktop PC parts. You may compare them to laptop models at best.

Consoles do not have dedicated RAM on GPU - so console with 16 GB is not the same as PC with 16 GB of RAM.
Consoles do not have RTX 2080 - they do have something like 2080 without all RTX cores, and zero bytes of dedicated RAM.
8 core zen 2 CPU - it may be the same zen2 architecture, but underclocked, with less cache and congested bus.

Having lower latency from APU and unified RAM negates all that tho.

Azdul

Magister
Having lower latency from APU and unified RAM negates all that tho.
There were neat tricks you could do with unified RAM back in Nintendo 64 era that caused latency issues when you tried to replicate them on PC. Those times are well behind us.

PS3 hybrid architecture was the worst of both worlds - CPU, GPU and SPU couldn't easily read each other memory - and some engines were able to squeeze nice performance out of it, negating performance penalty of data transfers.

PS4 and Xbox One were notorious for lack of proper anisotropic filtering - just because they had unified RAM with limited bandwidth. You can crank up anisotropic filtering on PC to 16x with minimal performance penalty, just because GPU has dedicated memory.

Anyway - you can buy PCs with unified RAM nowadays. They always suffer from the other kind of latency - the one between the user input and things happening on the screen.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Remember when people thought this was the worst looking console?
Nintendo-GameCube-System---Jet-Black
And it still is.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
*Buys 500€ console*
*Subscribe to online service for 10$/a month, ranking at 840 € for a console lifespan of 7 years*
*Buys 80€ games*

*Posts online : "Of course it's not as powerful as a PC but PCs are too expensive"*

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
*Buys 500€ console*
*Subscribe to online service for 10$/a month, ranking at 840 € for a console lifespan of 7 years*
*Buys 80€ games*

*Posts online : "Of course it's not as powerful as a PC but PCs are too expensive"*

Comparatively expensive PC parts pay for themselves if you use some brains when shopping for games. I'm not saying "never pay more than $20 for a video game", but if you're buying anything not on 50% discount you're wasting money these days simply because everything gets discounted at rapid pace on PC. Some people also think PCs need yearly hardware upgrade or think they need the latest GPU/CPU aimed at 1% of power users.

Such is life.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Poorfags dont have consoles or gaming PCs.
This bullshit of omg i saved 20 bucks during a 7 year period compared to buying a console is retarded.

If you got the money for a rtx 2080 or a PS5, shut the fuck up cause the money isnt the issue.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Consoles are cheaper, especially if you stick to one, but the difference is exaggerated. The real reason they dominate in certain genres is convenience, simple as that. If you wanna come home from work and fart around in Assassin's Creed on your big screen for a couple hours then consoles are a much simpler and more convenient way to do that.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
It is massive. Looking around my living room and wouldn't know where to put it.
Also disc version is way uglier compared to digital one.
I hope the size means it got massive silent fans in there, noise on my PS4 is insane when running some intensive games.
Will get the XSX first for sure at launch mainly cause of backwards compatibility. Nigga Spiderman collectathon aint my cup of tea anyway. It'll have to wait a year or two.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I hope the size means it got massive silent fans in there, noise on my PS4 is insane when running some intensive games.
They said that that is the exact reason for the size, they wanted to have better cooling. Hopefully it will be silent.

Azdul

Magister
If you wanna come home from work and fart around in Assassin's Creed on your big screen for a couple hours then consoles are a much simpler and more convenient way to do that.
It was the case two generations ago, but now you have mandatory updates that can take up to 30 minutes, and cannot be postponed - not mentioning loading times or unskippable cutscenes. Nowadays lazy people just play shitty games on smartphones. The ones who want slightly better instant entertainment without any bullshit attached - buy or build arcade cabinets.

OndrejSc

Full Auto
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
They said that that is the exact reason for the size, they wanted to have better cooling. Hopefully it will be silent.

It is a fanless design. They are using a live hamster to transfer the heat: HamsterHeatPipe (tm). A live hamster is located in a large plexiglass pipe that connects the CPU/GPU with the passive heat sink, hence the size.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
If you wanna come home from work and fart around in Assassin's Creed on your big screen for a couple hours then consoles are a much simpler and more convenient way to do that.
It was the case two generations ago, but now you have mandatory updates that can take up to 30 minutes, and cannot be postponed - not mentioning loading times or unskippable cutscenes. Nowadays lazy people just play shitty games on smartphones. The ones who want slightly better instant entertainment without any bullshit attached - buy or build arcade cabinets.
I guess the consoles buy themselves then. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also LOL at building or having arcade cabinets. Nobody does that besiedes the nieche of the nieche.

Azdul

Magister
Also LOL at building or having arcade cabinets. Nobody does that besiedes the nieche of the nieche.
Serious stuff, like vertical arcade CRT monitors with weird refresh rates or original arcade PCB are extremely rare, but Raspberry Pi with SD card, cheap LCD and arcade stick are quite common. MAME cabinets fill the same niche as Wii or Atari VCS - attraction at the party. You don't need to teach people how to play, or worry that kids (or drunken guests) will destroy it. And majority of arcade games support local multiplayer - which is really lacking on modern consoles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom