Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Commandos-Like Desperados III from Mimimi Productions (Shadow Tactics devs) - now with Money for the Vultures DLC

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Should I play the previous games before?
The original Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive (2001) is super excellent and still holds up today. Desperados 2 and Helldorado, not so good then or now and sadly are better forgotten.
I don't think it matters whether you play the original or this first though. If you want to play the new one today, go ahead.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well shit, I wasn't expecting gamebreaking bugs out of the gate.

8169CFB4731D198911B53F800C785ECCA79DB203

Last edited:

CyberModuled

Savant
I'm pretty sure Shadow Tactics was $40 on launch so it's more or less a $10 difference here.

Well shit, I wasn't expecting gamebreaking bugs out of the gate.

8169CFB4731D198911B53F800C785ECCA79DB203
Nah, that's just the alarm zone toggle. Pressing the default of "V" should fix that.

Last edited:

CyberModuled

Savant
Then you're pretty wrong, because it was $27 on ZOG, and now it's $50.
Even though Tactics released on the same day on GOG as Steam (December 6th) and considering that game's base price on Steam is also $40 it probably was $40. Unless some regional pricing change happened (or you're just forgetting if you bought it on sale), I doubt Daedalic would increase the base price.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
This... is twice as expensive as Shadow Tictacs was at release. You have to be fucking shitting me.

Thrice for my third world country, ironic. I pirated it but probably buy if at a %66-50 sale.
Already finished the game btw, enjoyed it really much but campaign kinda felt easy with all them tools at hand. Baron's challenges and badges seems to be my next stop.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Even though Tactics released on the same day on GOG as Steam (December 6th) and considering that game's base price on Steam is also $40 it probably was $40. Unless some regional pricing change happened (or you're just forgetting if you bought it on sale), I doubt Daedalic would increase the base price.

Negative. I even checked my old post from the ST thread to make sure.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Negative. I even checked my old post from the ST thread to make sure.
Yep, it was 27 euros. 50 euros is outragous (not for just this game, but any PC game). Thankfully my brother and I share a GOG account, so we split the price. 25 euros for me. :)

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
How do you poison the whisky barrel in second mission? Ctrl clicking doesnt do shit nor i see any items like poison to pick up besides ammo.
I figured out the other "accidents".

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
How do you poison the whisky barrel in second mission? Ctrl clicking doesnt do shit nor i see any items like poison to pick up besides ammo.
I figured out the other "accidents".
On the top floor there's a bottle of laudanum(If remember correctly) on one of the tables. I only discovered it after I had killed the target though and didn't bother loading an earlier save, so I didn't do it personally.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
95% of positive reviews on Steam is impressive, but 50€ is a bit too much for me right now. I need to wait at least for a 50% discount, so I might have to wait for a long time.

DemonKing

Arcane
Finished Chapter 1 - enjoying it so far - very addictive with some huge sprawling levels already. Characters and voice acting are great - can't pick a favourite yet.

Not much of an evolution from ST so far though. I fear the developers may be one trick ponies if their next release doesn't go in a slightly different direction.

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Played a few missions last night, it's pretty good. Pretty much just Shadow Tactics: Wild West, but since I loved ST I'm ok with it. One new thing I thought was cool is that on the first night mission you can carry torches around. Ostensibly they are for throwing on pools of oil to burn enemies, but I found they were more useful as a way to get guards to notice lures from far away. It's nice that the systems interact in a way that tools designed for one purpose can be used by a creative player in other useful ways as well.

So, do they have more than 3 guard types by now?
If you consider dogs as a guard type, then there's 4.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Finally finished it on Desperado difficulty.
I'll not play their games again on anything above the normal difficulty. To have 160 enemies per map is beyond retarded. Instead of making actually good AI they instead place enemies that each see each other all over, forcing a very specific route to take on each map. Dick move.
Spending 3 - 3.5 hours per map with the final one all the way to 4.5 hours is getting tiring and annoying very fast.
Very disappointed to see that they took the worst aspect of Commandos 2 and that is the huge amount of enemies in lieu of getting the various mechanics and equipment and options available and improve on them.
Anyway, good game overall. If you liked Shadow Tactics you're gonna love this one as well. Definitely recommend it, but not on Desperado difficulty. At least on Hard, showdown mode will freeze time which will definitely reduce the times you're gonna quickload while being more tactical at the same time.

Zombra

Patron
I mean ... outwitting sophisticated AI has never been what these games are about, it's about using a big tool box to creatively unravel increasingly complex knots of view cones. At least to me. I hope they don't move in the direction you suggest.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
And when is it too much? Why stop at 160? Go higher.
One of the reasons I liked Robin Hood over all the other games in this genre is the fact that it gave you some amount of freedom in approach and team member selection before each mission on top of reasonable enemy presence. The game also encouraged pacifism or sparing lives as it had a consequence, if small. The purpose wasn't to cover the maps in red, there were other types of interactions, with civilians for example, some could be helped, others would announce the authorities if they spotted you, some would give you a reward if you helped them earlier in another mission or their relatives. Beggars were a source of information to find loot or resources or plot related information.
Whereas in the other series, the whole objective is to...........clear the map. I don't know, maybe I expected too much.
Thankfully, Partisans 1941 comes closer to what I envision for this genre. Too bad you're playing as the Russians, but hey, win some, lose some.

Edit 1: typos.
Edit 2: Racist? Really? Romanians are not exactly fond of russians, to say the least. History and recent events determines me and others to state the following: Fuck Russia, fuck russians and fuck you for, probably supporting them.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom