Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Can I just say how insane it is that this game even exists, If someone told me 4 years ago that we will get a turn-based D&D CRPG that that doesn't fuck up the ruleset for casuals, I would have never believed it.:incline:
We have 4 of them in the works. This thing, BG3, Realms Beyond, and Knights of the Chalice 2.

Is this true? Dumb shit like VA should never be considered before things that actually matter to your game... especially in a party builder one like this.
If Infinitron is to be believed, we are getting voiced protagonists while only 6 of the 12 core classes are being implemented. I'm sure they could've squeezed at least one more class in there instead of paying for voice acting.

Generic-Giant-Spider

If Infinitron is to be believed, we are getting voiced protagonists while only 6 of the 12 core classes are being implemented. I'm sure they could've squeezed at least one more class in there instead of paying for voice acting.

And here I thought the six classes in character creation was just a demo thing and the rest or majority of them would come at release. SIGH

purpleblob

Savant
Sorc will be added as a free DLC post release. So I guess the remaining 5 classes may be added through DLCs as well.

Elex

Arbiter
0vele5fhpb551.jpg

Lacrymas

Arcane
I played some 15 minutes more and defeated the orc group. I do like the combat, big surprise there, and I'll more than likely buy this game at one point in my life. It needs quite a lot more polish, though, especially the camera. It's probably the worst camera in an RPG I've encountered. I didn't read the class descriptions, but why can the dwarf cleric cast the same spells as the halfling wizard? The encounters were also pretty easy, the enemies have too few HP imo, they only managed to get to my party before all of them were killed. Magic Missiles and Scorching Ray being able to be cast on multiple targets really bumps up their usefulness. Are there going to be formations? The way the party moves as a blob is really dangerous if the encounters start getting tougher. The mobs don't pick their targets very well. The UI (including the battle grid) makes everything feel very artificial, it's like you are in an in-universe simulation. The huge banners that say "SUCH AND SUCH CAN USE CHANNEL DIVINITY TO ATTACK AGAIN, WOULD YOU LIKE TO DO SO NOW??!?!?!?!" need to go and be replaced with something less obtrusive.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Finished the demo, it was shorter than I expected, especially for 5 GBs. All the things I said still stand, it's very janky, but I'd like to add that it's buggy as well. The "action camera" bugs out the entire game when you try to light up the oil-covered rocks with a cantrip. It bricks the camera and you can't move it around anymore. I found an option in the settings to turn that abomination off, thank goodness for small miracles. There's a typo in one of the tutorial messages, it should be "the free camera followS", not "follow". Every spell summoning that ring around you is silly and unnecessary, it takes too long to cast spells in general. It's fiddly to move items around when you loot because the loot window only appears for the guy looting, forcing you to drag every single item to the portrait of the character you want it on, this can be more elegant. The performance isn't good, I played it on very high and noticed sluggish sections which shouldn't happen for a game with such graphics. The worst part was the final battle with the deep spiders. I suppose light sources and/or models tax the system too much.

Speaking of the final encounter, all the spiders targeted the tank, hit him once in the entire encounter, and I magic missile'd and scorching ray'd my way to victory. Very easy, very homogeneous encounter, especially since you are given a resting spot right before it. All the encounters are homogeneous and feel more like RTwP design than a TB one. Despite the negativity I am exuding, I liked it, but it requires a loooooooooooooooooooooooooot of polish and optimization. When is this game coming out? If it's sometimes soon, I'd wait a year for patches and such before buying/playing it.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
4 pc limit always bothers me. You need a tank, cleric, mage, and thief for traps and lock picking. That's the first 4 slots. Usually slots 5 and 6 is where I experiment with interesting builds or builds that I know won't be great but I want to do it anyways.

Lacrymas

Arcane
You have 6 classes, so there's not much variety either way. I'll probably go with a Paladin (sword and board), Paladin (two-hander), Cleric, and Wizard party and larp a Warhammer-like religious zealot/inquisitor group. Rangers, Rogues, Fighters all bore me to tears without multi-classing. I don't see much replay value due to lack of (exciting) classes or multi-classing. Unless the subclasses are suuuuuper different from one another, I guess.

Elex

Arbiter
I played some 15 minutes more and defeated the orc group. I do like the combat, big surprise there, and I'll more than likely buy this game at one point in my life. It needs quite a lot more polish, though, especially the camera. It's probably the worst camera in an RPG I've encountered. I didn't read the class descriptions, but why can the dwarf cleric cast the same spells as the halfling wizard? The encounters were also pretty easy, the enemies have too few HP imo, they only managed to get to my party before all of them were killed. Magic Missiles and Scorching Ray being able to be cast on multiple targets really bumps up their usefulness. Are there going to be formations? The way the party moves as a blob is really dangerous if the encounters start getting tougher. The mobs don't pick their targets very well. The UI (including the battle grid) makes everything feel very artificial, it's like you are in an in-universe simulation. The huge banners that say "SUCH AND SUCH CAN USE CHANNEL DIVINITY TO ATTACK AGAIN, WOULD YOU LIKE TO DO SO NOW??!?!?!?!" need to go and be replaced with something less obtrusive.
The cleric dwarf subclass have extra spell from other spell list.

Geckabor

Savant
One thing I quite liked about the demo was how the party hinted at the weaknesses of the deep spiders. I wish more RPGs would do this, because normally with difficult encounters in RPGs you have to first face the unexpected enemy, and then you go "oh so that's what they do" and you counter them after reloading your game.

I'll also agree that generally nothing was difficult, I didn't even rest and barely used any spells, but overall I quite like the demo and am very much looking forward to the full version. The UI is also more acceptable than I thought it would be.

Also, my rogue's damage was ridiculously high due to sneak attacks and dual wielding.

Elex

Arbiter
4 pc limit always bothers me. You need a tank, cleric, mage, and thief for traps and lock picking. That's the first 4 slots. Usually slots 5 and 6 is where I experiment with interesting builds or builds that I know won't be great but I want to do it anyways.
The trap/lock guy and the healer are not exlusive of thief/cleric.
A bow ranger can be the trap/lock guy.
A paladin can be the healer.
A paladin can heal/tank/damage.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
The trap/lock guy and the healer are not exlusive of thief/cleric.
A bow ranger can be the trap/lock guy.
A paladin can be the healer.
A paladin can heal/tank/damage.
But then I would have to play as a Paladin. Yuck. Scuffed clerics

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Tried the demo. This is a really cool game. There are some bugs, the camera is real clunky and the game crashed during a fight with giant spiders, but the gameplay is great.

EDIT: Just now checked the character creation. Not too many classes... Character backgrounds look kinda interesting...

Whaa? I can reroll stats BG style??

SOLD!

:takemymoney:

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
All in all, this game reeks of misplaced priorities. Action cameras, weird overlong spell animations, voiced protagonists, mobile UI, a pronounced focus on graphics they can't really pull off, etc. Hey, RPG devs, you are barking up the wrong tree, you won't be getting that nu-XCom audience, you can trust me on that.

purpleblob

Savant

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well zoom feature is being worked on

Zoom feature is getting implemented, it's not in the demo^^ Right now what you're seeing is the "switch to a lower layer" functionality, which is why the focus is going out of wack

Devs are also asking folks to post here with their pc specs for the nightmare rainbow graphics glitch

Oh good, I thought I was the only one getting colour sprayed.

I got some texture flickering in inventory screen when using a light sources like torches.

xuerebx

Erudite
I've played the demo just for around 20 min and one thing which stood out to me was the voice acting and the way it was presented. As soon as the demo starts it kicks off with a conversation between your characters and 2 NPCs, and something felt off. I'm not sure how to explain it but did anyone feel the same way? I think it would have fared better if the dialogue stayed in isometric view.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It's because it's janky and the graphics try too hard to do something they don't have the budget for.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom