Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Last Of Us 2 - now with protagonist-murdering trannies

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The fresh infected (meaning the ones that don't have that many visible fungi growing in them yet) can go up to a few months before developing into clickers iirc, could be wrong tho. Considering that they're running around the snow with little regard for their well being attacking anything that moves, and that snowstorms seem to be common place, I'd give them one day at most before they succumbed to the cold were they real people.
So unless they JUST got infected right as you find them (which I doubt, seeing as there were a few clickers with them) it still wouldn't make a lot of sense

I see. In the first game it was kinda logical why you found the infected at different places, some dank cellar death trap for scavengers, or just some wanderers getting attacked, I mean there was always some kind of story explaining why and how. Just got the impression there might not be much of a focus on that part in the sequel. Shame.

KVVRR

Learned
The fresh infected (meaning the ones that don't have that many visible fungi growing in them yet) can go up to a few months before developing into clickers iirc, could be wrong tho. Considering that they're running around the snow with little regard for their well being attacking anything that moves, and that snowstorms seem to be common place, I'd give them one day at most before they succumbed to the cold were they real people.
So unless they JUST got infected right as you find them (which I doubt, seeing as there were a few clickers with them) it still wouldn't make a lot of sense

I see. In the first game it was kinda logical why you found the infected at different places, some dank cellar death trap for scavengers, or just some wanderers getting attacked, I mean there was always some kind of story explaining why and how. Just got the impression there might not be much of a focus on that part in the sequel. Shame.
They seem to just be going for the rule of cool with this one. I'd always thought that the part you mentioned before (them eventually transforming into fertile ground for the fungus) only happened once they'd died, but there's a few infected in this game that are just attached to the wall waiting for people to pass by, which seems really odd considering that the last phase was the bloated in the previous game. Are the infected aware enough to "hibernate" depending on how much available food there is in their surroundings? How do they know it? How do they catch any type of animal if they're screaming from the top of their lungs as soon as they see one? Why do they care about hunger at all if they don't seem to care about physical harm?
Maybe they do answer these in the game. But as far as I've seen they seem a lot more interested in teaching you about jewish culture rather than the infected.

Danikas

Arcane
1592430463557.jpg

Codex Year of the Donut
being based in reality to some degree is an important part of sci-fi

This is inaccurate, but as far as the setting of this particular game, I agree.

There's a misunderstanding that being sci-fi means it doesn't have to be grounded. Sci-fi is merely the improbable made possible with a good explanation as to why it's possible.

Where are you pulling this from? Have you ever read an Iain M. Banks novel? Zombie apocolypse stuff is generally about a somewhat realistic reaction to a zombie outbreak, but sci-fi as a whole genre can be just as fucking loony as the fantasy genre.
Lots of sci-fantasy is mislabeled sci-fiction, I agree.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
That's the issue. Journos will keep looking at the pointing finger instead of the entire landscape. The problem aren't the woke elements, Abby or whatever. The problem is that the whole story-telling of the game is fundamentally bad (The ending is an entire deus ex machina, doesnt have any sense considering Ellie's behavior during the entire game), filled with inconsistent and non sensical behaviors (Joel and his brother telling their names so easily to strangers, where they are supossed to be ex-raiders).

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Streamers and normal people are literally broken by the stupidity of Joel's death. Almost all of them want to kill Abby.

Am I really that wise and perceptive, or is just Druckman a total idiot? Maybe I am better suited to writing games:

If you create a story where the audience is also the main protagonist, it's too far-fetched to expect to pass a moral of the story to that audience, while at the same time you are doing everything in your power to affect them emotionally as actors.

Specifically, if you as a game designer encourage the player to preform violent and cruel actions, it's very questionable to use that game as a vehicle for pushing the moral of "violence breeds violence".

It's like if I show my child how to break glasses and encourage him, so that I can then tell him "see, breaking things on the floor is bad". But he never had the notion of breaking glasses in the first place.

This kind of author intent set up for this kind of entertainment product - I wouldn't call it "work [of art]" - stinks of an attitude of condescention towards your audience. Which is perfectly in line with what we know about Druckman and co. of course. Basically it's "I'll let you do ugly things and then wave my finger at you about how doing ugly things is bad for everyone".

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, Druckman did get to wave his finger at paying customers. Let's see how much it will cost him.

Terra

Cipher
The Tranners aren't happy either :lol::lol::lol:

I fucking love it. You pander to every conceivable alphabet-soup interest group in your sequel, surprise surprise, the perpetually offended on twitter get upset. Oh yeah, you also pissed off all the fans of the original game by keeping the straight, white male down through your rampant agenda pushing.

Good job dipshits, who is your game designed to appeal to, because you managed to piss off everybody.

Mark Richard

Arcane
But she ISN'T trans? Also, where the fuck do you get testosterone in a zombie postapo wasteland?

You're worried about realism in a game about a zombie apocalypse?
Fuck off, Pete.
Of6qN4o.jpg

What. The main quests in Fallout 1, 2, and 3 are about securing fresh water. New Vegas involves fighting over a renewable source of hydroelectric power. The scarcity of essential resources is a central element and the driving force behind every faction. Many of the side quests impress upon us the difficulty of eking out an existence in this world. Ron Perlman opens up each game mentioning the shortage of resources. To say none of that matters because lolghouls is particularly moronic considering that in Fallout 1, the ghouls had a water pump, and in Fallout 2 they had a power plant. Every wasteland inhabitant had some means of survival, whether it be trading, robbing, farming, or occupying vital facilities. And do you know why? Because those games gave a shit!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom