Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallen Gods - upcoming Norse saga-inspired roguelite from Wormwood Studios

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
You should have a quest with a classic tale to save the princess locked in a high tower. After much effort you finally climb up there, then suddenly berserk leaps to first strike her with a hammer.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
You should have a quest with a classic tale to save the princess locked in a high tower. After much effort you finally climb up there, then suddenly berserk leaps to first strike her with a hammer.

all the while shouting "Weakling! A REAL princess would have escaped on her own"

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Funny, I occasionally fool myself into believing that this will be the last videogame I ever play. Or maybe I'll just play through Primordia again!
I certainly hope not! One should go out on a better note. :)

Damn it! I want that Space Captain game! When a good game in a genre releases, it creates demand for the same genre until said genre is saturated! FTL was light on narrative too, your crew was bare cannon fodder. All i want whenever i play it is something with more elaborate narrative. Mass effect is a more valid concern, but it's not really the same genre and the truth is a good game always ends up selling. Even if it needs a few marketing kicks.
If i buy your Viking game, you better finish SC too!
Star Captain!

Mass Effect was also a concern, since it turned out that they had done basically the same thing I had (mine every space opera for overlapping elements, then make a pastiche setting from them); I was devastated when the "terminators happened but to someone other than humans" idea got consumed.

I'll never say never on Star Captain, but I'm not so optimistic about it. Now it's less about preemption (indeed, saturation) and more that I will have just spent the better part of a decade, if not a whole decade, making a proc-gen roguelite with text adventure vignettes. The idea of doing it again is not super appealing to me. But the painstakingly constructed Star Captain setting was, to a large degree, designed to justify the Weird Worlds-type set up of exploring a quadrant of space that nevertheless also had rival alien species, a rich history, etc. "Why wouldn't someone else have just sold us the map?" Etc. I think the concept was pretty neat, but it's not necessarily how I'd set up a Star Control 2-like, which is something that's still on my list of "games I dreamed of making when 12 but never made."

That kind of tale is not classic to the saga settings we're drawing upon. A maiden on a mountaintop bier surrounded by fire, maybe.... There is a funny (to me?) event involving a maiden to be won through a feat of strength in which things can go sideways with a berserk, but not the way you describe.

Berserks don't really go about killing women like that; it's not that they don't kill women at all (and here I mean, in sagas as well as FG), but just seeing a woman trapped in a tower wouldn't prompt them to bash her brains in. These scenarios are all ones in which someone has puffed his chest out and postured as if he's ready to fight, and a beserk is never going to turn down such an invitation. A maiden in distress would probably bore him, more than anything.

Binky

Cipher
Been rereading some of the updates. Batteries are running low in Asgard and they start throwing gods out.
And so they began throwing out their own brothers and sisters, fathers and mothers, sons and daughters—because even a smaller pie can yield bigger slices when fewer need to be cut. Fallen Gods begins in that time of dearth and death, when the player’s eponymous fallen god has just been cast down from the Cloudlands. He is desperate, not to save the world or free the world, but to flee the world and save himself, for he is no better than the others, only weaker.
So the Ormling is the runt of the litter. Curious about the ending (endings?). He weasels his way back to Asgard and promptly gets thrown out on his ass again because he's still weak and batteries are still running low? Or does his quest strengthen him enough throw someone else out on his/her arse? Does Daddy Orm swat him like a fly? Say "Attaboy!" and then go back to drinking mead and scratching his balls?

Release day can't come soon enough.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
He weasels his way back to Asgard and promptly gets thrown out on his ass again because he's still weak and batteries are still running low? Or does his quest strengthen him enough throw someone else out on his/her arse? Does Daddy Orm swat him like a fly? Say "Attaboy!" and then go back to drinking mead and scratching his balls?
I haven't written final versions (or even, in most instances, placeholder versions) of the endings yet, so I'm not totally sure. There are a variety of paths to getting back. In one path, you get something that makes it unlikely you'll get thrown out again (not for benevolent reasons). In another, you do something that makes it likely that Orm would favor you going forward, likewise making it unlikely you get thrown out again soon. In another ending, you accomplish something that makes it likely that you will have an independent source of soul-strength for at least a while. So, to explain, the faith of mortals gives immortals their strength. Almost all of that faith is directed at Orm, or indirectly goes to him when it's directed at the Ormfolk as a group. Unlike in the Norse pantheon, the equivalent of Thor in this setting died during the Overthrow, so there's not a secondary god who has a ton of mortal faith directed at him. The protagonist is a second-generation god (born in the Cloudlands), so no one on earth has any interest in him at all at the start of the game -- all of his soul-strength in the Cloudlands had been trickle-down generosity from Orm. In one victory state, he pulls off something that would win him a lot of fame and faith; not necessarily enough to threaten Orm (such that he might bump you off), but enough to be independently wealthy. There's a fourth victory state where you also do something amazing, but not in a way that would win as much fame directly. That scenario, though, I still think the other gods would be reasonably intimidated by you, and less likely to toss you out. The easiest victory condition, though, is simply opening the ~Bifrost and going home. In that scenario, you're right that the god is not much better off that he was before, though probably enough ahead of other weakling gods that he'll enjoy some comfort for a while.
Release day can't come soon enough.
It's going to be a while. Sorry.

Quantomas

Savant
You have wrought an outstanding presentation there.

The trailer and the screen shots make it clear, to people who can see and read, that this is a special game. Not only for its prose. Looks great!

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
It is not. But Arnold Hendrick’s Games—particularly Barbarian Prince—were important inspirations.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
It is not. But Arnold Hendrick’s Games—particularly Barbarian Prince—were important inspirations.

Inspiration is alright, as long as you don't use the worse features from 30+ years old games.
Darklands character creation was quite interesting, i don't know anything about Barbarian Prince though.

LoneWolf as in the CYOA game books?
I played quite a few back in the days but not the complete series, some were quite good and some average, Kaï power progression and artefacts you could export were the two highlight of the series.

I found Saga of the Demonspawn way better and with only 4 books, you could actually complete this one.

So, Party-based with TB combat?
AP system?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom