Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How to fix Gnomes, Hafllings, Orcs, and Elves.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In general, I think everyone can agree that Gnomes and Halflings are the least liked and most often under utilized of the six main humanoid races, the races being listed below.

Humans
Elves
Orcs
Dwarves
Gnomes
Halflings

I ignore all the other shitty D&D playable races for obvious reasons. So the question is, is there something wrong with how these races are implemented, and if there is, what should be done about it? While there have been a few interesting implementations of Gnomes, I honestly can't think of a single good implementation of Halflings. I never really cared for Tolkien's work too much, and even than, they filled a very niche part in the story.

My proposal? Get rid of both races, and replace them with a different small creature that's far less humanoid than either of the two. Halflings are often underutilized because they're basically small humans, and why would anyone want to voluntarily turn themselves into a manlet? I honestly can't think of any proper in setting situation where humans couldn't just be used instead of halflings?

As for Gnomes, while I do see some potential, I think they should just be merged in as a subrace of Dwarves. They can fit in real nicely with the existing stereotypes and niches that Dwarves occupy, and perhaps they could be the technological/statesman side of the greedy, more combative Dwarves.

As for this new race, some of y'all might be asking yourselves, "What's the point? Why would anyone want to play a new small person race, when no one wanted to play either of the two small person race?" Well I'd say that the reason is because Gnomes and Hafllings don't really have their own identity, due to how they look they've been pigeonholed into the tiny human category. There is a lot of interesting roleplay potential for a small race that's about three feet tall. I'd say they should make them a sort of swamp race with fae elements, living among the bog and in marshes, with homes made out of fungus and different things found in nature. This idea came to me when I saw an art design of a character from Hearthstone actually.
upload_2020-6-18_17-5-15.png

Something like this.

Other suggestions I'd have to fix the other races would be to make Orcs almost entirely brutes and savages, kind of like how they're implemented in Battle Brothers. Have a few Outcast Orcs and their Shamans/Chieftans be intelligent, but due away with them entirely as a playable race. Elves should also be changed to be nonplayable races. They should be incredibly rare, aloof creatures, with a view of the world that essentially borders on apathy. Make them very powerful but isolated, and they only interact with the Humans, Dwarves, and other creatures/races in the world when there is a grave threat or when they want to do some evil fuckery.

I also have some opinions on low fantasy versus high fantasy and how prevalent magic should be in a setting, but I'll go on that rant at a later time. What I will say is that having more than few playable races and magic being everywhere is extremely played out and often ruins things.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Why do you feel the need to go after halflings and gnomes, when they're the only non-human races on your list that aren't despicable? Well, except dwarves, of course. And orcs.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Why do you feel the need to go after halflings and gnomes, when they're the only non-human races on your list that aren't despicable? Well, except dwarves, of course. And orcs.
Other than Halflings and Gnomes, there are four races, Humans, Elves, Orcs, and Dwarves. If Humans, Dwarves, and Orcs aren't despicable, that literally just leaves Elves, and my suggestion is to phase them out almost completely. That leaves Halflings and Gnomes, and I think a foreign race that doesn't speak any of the humanoid languages but has their own distinct culture and the capability of intelligence could be real interesting.
You want to fix them by making them repulsive?
I don't think they're despicable, I think they'd fit into a nice niche along with Humans, Elves, Orcs, and Dwarves as they're usually done in something like, Forgotten Realms for instance.

If we were to go to the low fantasy route, turning Orcs into brutes, Elves into elusive almost mythological creatures, I'd say just get rid of Halflings and Gnomes entirely, and forget my new race idea. But for a high fantasy setting, I'd say what I suggested would be an improvement.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Orcs shouldn't be playable races.

Are the short races disliked? I had no idea. I used them a lot in all the games i played, but not for a main character position, 'cause i don't want to identify as a manlet lmao.

With that said, the reason halflings exist is because of the lore. Why have an halfling thief when you can have a human thief? Because of the character traits attached to the race. Because i read The Hobbit and i have a fondness for the little guys. I mean seriously, does nobody care about this stuff anymore?

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I never liked Gnomes and Halflings and almost never play them, sans crawlers. The last time I saw a fresh take on DnD races was Morrowind (cannibal bosmer, xenophobic dunmer and tall nazi altmer).

Tigranes

Arcane
I've played tabletop as gnomes. If someone gets scared of rolling a fantasy character because they're short they have some confidence issues.

The legit point is that yes, if your race is "humans with one gimmick" they're not very cool. I think fleshing out gnomes and halflings in interesting ways would be just fine, though. There've been settings with 'feral' halflings/gnomes, haven't there? Though I forget where I've seen them.

Arcanum sets the standard, where the differences between more cloistered and more worldly dwarves is the product of tangible historical tensions tha tyou can observe within the gameworld, rather than "oh made-up-magical-crystla-thing made these people have 18 testicles".

Rafidur

Learned
I tend to play either as non humanoid, attractive girl, or tiny manlet for maximum escapism points. Please, keep halflings the way they are. Also they look hilarious when cutscenes don't account for their size, I remember a banquet in NWN2 where my character was too small and ended up hidden behind the table.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
I love halfling thieves/rogues, right behind reach fighters and geriatric wizards. They're a staple.

AliceAlcina

Learned
for halfling rogues blame Margaret Weiss and her Dragonlance books.
truth to be told, I would probably never pick halfling or gnome as my main, but in IWD2 halfling rogues/wizards are in my party always... sometimes you really need that racial bonus/multiclass penalty mitigated.

On the other hand, I really like bard from NWN2 and Linzi from Pathfinder... I have soft spot for companions bard... oh, and Deekin and Sharwin (albeirt neither are gnome and halfling) were cute.

AliceAlcina

Learned
Oh, and when it comes to elves... I really like them, and there's nothing to fix... they are already ugly in NWN with face models and rarely any computer game can make them as pretty as text of novel can.

Efe

Erudite
i liked how pathfinder made gnomes to be ex-fey, giving them a unique disease and also a reason for their retarded behaviors.
to fix halflings read Alfie by incase.
rest dont need fixing except orcs shouldnt be playable.

overly excitable young man

What? Halflings and gnomes are perfectly fine.
When i have the possibility i put em in my party.
For me the typical thief is halfling and the typical wizard gnome.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Let the PC have the option of engaging in a nation, or preferably, world or universe wide genocide of dwarves, gnomes and halflings.
I'm not saying it has to be the main focus of the game, but an RPG that would allow me to do that would get major points from me.

catfood

AGAIN
Fantasy races should not even exist, or at least not be playable character races.

I mean:

- halfling, dwarf, gnome - who the fuck wants to play as a midget?
- elf - who the fuck wants to play as a faggot?
- cat/lizard/horse/chicken/etc. folk - who the fuck wants to play as a furry?
- half(orcs)/goblinoids/etc. - das raysys, shitlord

Humans are the master race. You either play as one or get out.

Gregz

Arcane
There are plenty of people who play gnomes and halflings in everquest. Some people find them genuinely amusing.

I just spent 10 months playing an Orc on WoW classic, vs. LOTS of people who chose to play elves...

The data doesn't support your assumptions OP.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Orcs should be properly represented as pig-men inspired by W.H. Hodgson's classic novel The House on the Borderland, and they shouldn't be player-characters (or even proper NPCs) but only monsters.

tumblr_ppsypsN3DX1ro2bqto1_500.jpg

Hobbits Halflings were grafted onto D&D directly from Tolkien, due to popular demand from players, but never made any sense in other settings and could easily be dismissed entirely as there is no "fix" for them aside from replacing them with a similar but better crafted substitute, such as the Kender of the Dragonlance campaign setting. It is possible to generate a variety of halfling, such as Dark Sun's feral version, that is suited for use as NPCs/monsters but not as PCs.

Gnomes can be salvaged by distinguishing them more clearly from dwarves, such as the Tinker Gnomes of the Dragonlance campaign setting who are obsessed with baroque technology, but these interpretations tend to be better suited for NPCs than as playable races.

511a6znnsKL._SX391_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Latro

Arcane
Fantasy races should not even exist, or at least not be playable character races.

I mean:

- halfling, dwarf, gnome - who the fuck wants to play as a midget?
- elf - who the fuck wants to play as a faggot?
- cat/lizard/horse/chicken/etc. folk - who the fuck wants to play as a furry?
- half(orcs)/goblinoids/etc. - das raysys, shitlord

Humans are the master race. You either play as one or get out.
Fantasy races are just humans with overly-emphasized traits, there's a reason why (it was rumored anyway) Gary Gygax didn't actually see the point in fantasy races.

LOTS of people who chose to play elves...
Because they're immortal, perfect humans who are beautiful and OP in magic. Appeals to people who want to roleplay a race that's a perfected human race and also want to cheese. Orcs are in the opposite direction, but I'd bet they get played more if they were a beautiful elfen variant.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom