Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Since I have a lot of time left, I think the better play is clearing the two big bosses and skeletons under Old Sycamore. Excuse the shoddy gameplay. I made some unfortunate mistakes and had to reload.

jewboy

Arbiter
I am just starting my first game. Rolling my chars. I have to say that so far this game reminds me of a lot of TOEE and 3rd Edition D&D in general. It looks like Owlcat was like ok guys ToEE has the best combat system of any cRPG. Let's not pull a Sawyer and fail by overestimating our abilities and trying to reinvent the wheel. Let's just make a better TOEE. Gotta say it looks amazing so far. Seems like a lot of the same strategies that work well for ToEE will work here as well. The only criticism I have is not enough portraits, but they have a means to add them. So far I love the way Owlcat thinks. Starting to regret not being a backer for their sequel.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Early Unfair from level 1 to 3 was filled with misses. But with level 4 we suffer less misses. As the game progresses, so too will the bonuses.

LannTheStupid Also take that back! Monks have a rough early game! There's nothing I can do about it!

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Only Blight Druids don't have a pet. I'd rather run a Blight Druid with their own special domains if it's viable tbh, but I defer to the experts.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
So, what's a good domain for a Defender of the True World Druid?
Only Blight Druids don't have a pet. I'd rather run a Blight Druid with their own special domains if it's viable tbh, but I defer to the experts.
Maybe I'm missing the point because I haven't had breakfast this morning, but if you choose the domain Nature Bond and pick anything but the Animal domain, you don't get an animal companion. So that "Blight Druids don't have a pet" doesn't mean much, because normal Druids also have no pet if they don't pick the animal companion Nature Bond or the Animal domain.

Daidre

Arcane
So, what's a good domain for a Defender of the True World Druid?
Imho, the best druid domain if you do not want a pet is Water since it gives access to Stinking Cloud at level 5 (could combo with Delay Poison Communal without outside help) and decent spells on other levels - Horrid Wilting, Tsunami, Freedom of Movement.

Technomancer

Liturgist
Man, I wish I could pick up Darkness domain and worship anything else but the cenobite motherfucker.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Maybe I'm missing the point because I haven't had breakfast this morning, but if you choose the domain Nature Bond and pick anything but the Animal domain, you don't get an animal companion. So that "Blight Druids don't have a pet" doesn't mean much, because normal Druids also have no pet if they don't pick the animal companion Nature Bond or the Animal domain.
Is it? I can choose an animal companion before I choose a domain, sooooo. Let me check.

EDIT: Yeap, I can only pick one. Huh. So I should go for Animal domain to get both domain spells and an animal companion. If I were to, say, pick a Blight Druid (which I know is suboptimal) which of the 3 special domains is the best?

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Is it? I can choose an animal companion before I choose a domain, sooooo. Let me check.
When you choose a Nature Bond, you can pick an animal companion or a domain. Unless there's some mod involved, the two choices are mutually exclusive (the only exception is the Animal domain: a domain that also gives you an animal companion after a few levels but forces you to waste a feat on the Boon Companion feat if you don't want to have a gimped companion).

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, if he gets extra domain spell slots from the deal, it might very much be worth a feat...

Last edited:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
So it's better to go with a companion and not a domain?
It honestly depends on a couple of factors. The "go with a companion" choice has two benefits:
- you immediately gain the companion and don't have to wait for level 4 (this is particularly important for Unfair, but if that's not your case you can easily live without it);
- you have one more feat. As a Druid, you only have the standard feats you gain from leveling up, so that's 10 feats at level 20 (11 for humans) and, depending on the build you want, they might not be nearly enough. For a melee Druid, you probably want at least Weapon Focus, Dazzling Display, Shatter Defenses, Outflank and Power Attack: if you are not a human, you can get everything by level 9, but you need to wait for level 11 if you have to throw Boon Companion in there. You probably also want Spell Focus, Augment Summoning and maybe Greater Spell Focus, Empower Spell, Spell Penetration and Greater Spell Penetration (Superior Summoning sounds cool, but last time I checked it didn't work with spontaneous casting and readying Summon Nature's Ally is a bit of a wast). I also like Crane Style with 3 points in Mobility, but that's free with a Monk level in addition to the AC bonus. You just have to plan your build and decide if speeding up your feats progression is something you care about.

The "go with Animal domain" has the benefit of giving you an additional spell slot per level that you have to use to cast these spells:

https://pathfinderkingmaker.fandom.com/wiki/Animal_Domain

Magic Fang is useful at the very beginning of the game but it quickly become obsolete: your animal companion gains a permanent enhancement bonus to his attacks and, if you care about that for your character, you should probably rely on magic items that give better bonuses. Hold Animal and Dominate Animal are very situational, meaning that you will be able to use them only in a very short list of encounters (and, by the time you get them, you don't really need them that much). The SNA spells are definitely useful.

Basically, you lose a feat and gain a spell slot (with a fixed spell) per each level.

If you are asking if domains other than the Animal one are worth picking, the answer is no, because animal companions are very strong in this game. Obviously the Druid is viable even without one, but you are voluntarily gimping yourself.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I'm thinking of going either Rogue/Druid or Vivisectionist/Druid. Rogue gets finesse and allows usage of their weapons, I'm not sure what Vivisectionists get outside of Sneak Attack and the infusions.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
I'm thinking of going either Rogue/Druid or Vivisectionist/Druid. Rogue gets finesse and allows usage of their weapons, I'm not sure what Vivisectionists get outside of Sneak Attack and the infusions.
It is usually a very bad idea to lose caster levels on a main spellcasting class like the Druid.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
And the infusions them self include a large number of very potent buffs (like Legendary Proportions at top levels).

Lacrymas

Arcane
I'm mostly eyeing the sneak attack to augment the Druid in some way. +2d6 damage for just 3 Rogue/Vivi levels isn't bad, along with the feats you get.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Sorry, you build obsessives move the thread too fast... turn-based is being added in officially in August? I had a few quibbles with the game but that makes me even more excited to do a replay someday than the mod did.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Sorry, you build obsessives move the thread too fast... turn-based is being added in officially in August? I had a few quibbles with the game but that makes me even more excited to do a replay someday than the mod did.
Yes, August 18th. You can have a quick look at the mode in action here:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom