Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, I had the time to check out the whole stream, and... it... actually... looks... good?

What a time to be alive. Solasta. Pathfinder. Now, this.

Took 'em 20 fucking years, but we're finally back on track. Now... if they'd only let us play monk in EA... :P :P :P

Quillon

Arcane
dxd92Du.jpg

jd5qZGu.png

Heh. They couldn't help themselves and made even the half-elf waifu ugly. Larianfags will defend this.

So this was fake news(or I thought wrongly that the second pic was the new version); watching the gameplay atm; shadowheart looks pretty much the same, even made to be more pretty at the expense of looking less distinctive.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Took 'em 20 fucking years, but we're finally back on track. Now... if they'd only let us play monk in EA... :P :P :P

Most modern RPG's seems to hate more "exotic" martial and arcane classes. I wanna make a Lurker of the Deep Warlock and probably will only be able to do that with modding...

ChildInTime

Learned
dxd92Du.jpg

jd5qZGu.png

Heh. They couldn't help themselves and made even the half-elf waifu ugly. Larianfags will defend this.

So this was fake news(or I thought wrongly that the second pic was the new version); watching the gameplay atm; shadowheart looks pretty much the same, even made to be more pretty at the expense of looking less distinctive.
Maybe we can customize companions in the "respec mirror" like in DOS2.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I think we are understating how cool turn based exploration and stealth will be. I never play rogues or stealthy characters in these games because what they offer outside of combat usually isn't fun or interesting, but this is completely different.

The game obviously has some presentation issues, but, from what we got to see, almost everything underneath has been refined to perfection. This is a blessed game and we are lucky WotC and Larian decided to collaborate on this. It's a pity a lot of people are fixating on the "this is not a true Baldur's Gate game reeeee", ignoring the fact that we are getting an high production value D&D game that might mark the beginning of a new era of D&D games. Some people really don't want to play good CRPGs.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
"this is not a true Baldur's Gate game reeeee",

To be fair, all of the people who are currently allowed in the thread have the opinion of "Its not a true Baldurs Gate game but I never expected a true Baldurs Gate 3 and Id eat dirt for a good crpg at this point"

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
To be fair, all of the people who are currently allowed in the thread have the opinion of "Its not a true Baldurs Gate game but I never expected a true Baldurs Gate 3 and Id eat dirt for a good crpg at this point"

To be fair, this applies to the RPGCodex people in general, not just this thread. "Those supposed pseudo-incline rpgs are not truly incline but i 'd eat deart for any crpg at this point"

Saravan

Savant
"this is not a true Baldur's Gate game reeeee",

I agree that there are too many different design philosophies and mechanics that obviously doesn't follow from BG 1 & 2 and in that sense it's not a "true" Baldur's Gate successor. As for the story, final verdict requires you to have access to the complete game. Calling it a DoS 2 copy however is disingenuous and an obvious argument in bad faith. It's glaringly different from DoS 2 even in the state of pre-alpha in terms of both gameplay and art/narrative direction. I expect them to do iterations on the UI which at the moment looks the most similar to their previous games and could use a change to make it look custom made for this game.

robinox

Educated
I disliked that every player character seems to have a "badass superhero" personality, like they were all lvl 20 seasoned adventurers; I hope it's just a wrong impression from the shortness of the demo and that the unrevealed companions will have more range.
I also disliked the devil part, I'm not really eager about standing there left-clicking to browse through all the bullying-smug poem of some invincible dude; moreover the whole happening felt like a repainted version of the meetings with the gods of DOS2, which IMO weren't exactly exiting moments to say the least.
I liked all the rest.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I have been informed through private correspondence that Ontopoly still hates the game and will be sharing his wildly codex enriching thoughts on a later date.
you can expedite (or delay) this process by tagging Infinitron and asking him to encourage (or discourage) ontopolys return.
Do you mean to say that Infinitron has temporarily banned Ontopoly? I hope that's not the case, and please let him return, wtf!

Elex

Arbiter
Watched it again and realized they missed a real opportunity with Raphael to set up a Firkraag-esque questline. No real point in having a devil show up to your campfire dressed as a nobleman if he's just gonna give up the ruse...
You really think that his real name is raphael?
Screenshot_20200618-193554_YouTube.jpg

Raphael: “oh that hugeass painting of me with a rod with a giant red ruby? ignore that painting!!”

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I have been informed through private correspondence that Ontopoly still hates the game and will be sharing his wildly codex enriching thoughts on a later date.
you can expedite (or delay) this process by tagging Infinitron and asking him to encourage (or discourage) ontopolys return.
Do you mean to say that Infinitron has temporarily banned Ontopoly? I hope that's not the case, and please let him return, wtf!

A few undesirables have been forcefully removed from this thread. Ontopoly was sadly among them.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?members/infinitron.12987/ on Infinitrons profile he stated their return is imminent.

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Only logged in to say that the new gameplay was incredibly awesome and I'm really glad they already listened to feedback and improved the initiative system and the dialogue. Nooois

Elex

Arbiter
Stuff they have to fix/add in the eule implementation:

-the ready action: the proper way of make a combo in 5e.
-a real reaction trigger option (so i can choose to not use the reaction in case i need it later)
Example i have 3 enemy in my opportunity attack range and i want to save it for the one at low HP.

-bonus action casting: caster become too powerfull if they can cast bonus action: for example a cleric or a bard can heal with healing world (bonus action) and heal again with another spell.

this is stuff that can change based on the difficulty

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
#OntopolyLivesMatter
Shitposter/village idiot/dumbfuck lives matter.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
while i miss drawn portraits from the first BG (which were in fact photos btw) i kinda can see why they decided to use 3d models instead — to maintain the visual consistency of all the creatures in the game.
saying that can we have a moment to appreciate models’ overall quality? i mean those goblins are top notch fuckers.

Perkel

Arcane
Awesome that they changed that retarded group vs group turns. Maybe it is something i will actually play now.

Robber Baron

Savant
while i miss drawn portraits from the first BG (which were in fact photos btw) i kinda can see why they decided to use 3d models instead — to maintain the visual consistency of all the creatures in the game.
saying that can we have a moment to appreciate models’ overall quality? i mean those goblins are top notch fuckers.

The next logical thing would be to make 3d portratis have adjustable face expressions like DAO

I think we are understating how cool turn based exploration and stealth will be. I never play rogues or stealthy characters in these games because what they offer outside of combat usually isn't fun or interesting, but this is completely different.

The game obviously has some presentation issues, but, from what we got to see, almost everything underneath has been refined to perfection. This is a blessed game and we are lucky WotC and Larian decided to collaborate on this. It's a pity a lot of people are fixating on the "this is not a true Baldur's Gate game reeeee", ignoring the fact that we are getting an high production value D&D game that might mark the beginning of a new era of D&D games. Some people really don't want to play good CRPGs.
I think you are fabulously optimistic. I hope I am wrong.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom