Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathologic 2 (AKA Pathologic remake)

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Release date: May 23, 2019
Price: $34.99
Old userscore: 92% Owners: 20,000 .. 50,000

:cry:

f8533d325461e2dde38f81b279780cca.jpg
Yeah. You'd think during a pandemic, a game in which you desperately try to find a cure for a pandemic and keep people from dying would be an easy thing to market.
Alas, virus inc or whatever it is called got huge, and pathologic 2 is forgotten.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Release date: May 23, 2019
Price: $34.99
Old userscore: 92% Owners: 20,000 .. 50,000

:cry:

f8533d325461e2dde38f81b279780cca.jpg
Yeah. You'd think during a pandemic, a game in which you desperately try to find a cure for a pandemic and keep people from dying would be an easy thing to market.
Alas, virus inc or whatever it is called got huge, and pathologic 2 is forgotten.

Because virus inc is FUN! kill humanity, smash the buttons, watch the nicey infographics! eeeheee

Pathologic 2 makes you existencially suffer and honestly maybe this is too much for some people during the lockdown
However the game could be marketed again some time after the pandemic because people will need to transform their traumatic experience of lockdown into the art.

Great story, level design, music, atmosphere, artstyle, lore.
Gameplay so bad, even kids who churn out survival games on Unity would do a better job.

I get that the point is to "suffer", but I got more annoyed than anything, cause whole fucking game is doing chores and watching content slip through your fingers.

Sprint is the most atrocious flaw- this loser can jog for only fucking 10 seconds, before running out of breath and getting thirsty.
This shit is in direct conflict with level-design, because you have to go around the buildings very often.

Collect flowers, eat, sleep, change clothes, drink. Oohhh yea, have not suffered so much since sims 2, what a purgatory!

On the third run I disabled all that simulation shit and fixed sprint- game got ten times better, I shit you not.

This would be a massive success, if some pretentious loser didn't decide it should have a shit gameplay.

Mark Richard

Arcane
I get that the point is to "suffer", but I got more annoyed than anything, cause whole fucking game is doing chores and watching content slip through your fingers.
:negative:

Why this aversion to the consequences part of C&C? If you can't look back at your choices with relief or regret, if you insist on treating every consequence which locks off content as a personal affront by a developer withholding something you paid for rather than what it really is (a collaborative exercise in crafting the story of a character completely unique to you), then I pity your empty experience. It's devoid of roleplaying.

If the plague doesn't progress independent of your actions, there's no pressure. If there's no pressure, there's no temptation to do anything outside of your comfort zone.

Last edited:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

Why this aversion to the consequences part of C&C? If you can't look back at your choices with relief or regret, if you insist on treating every consequence which locks off content as a personal affront by a developer withholding something you paid for rather than what it really is (a collaborative exercise in crafting the story of a character completely unique to you), then I pity your empty experience. It's devoid of roleplaying.

If the plague doesn't progress independent of your actions, there's no pressure. If there's no pressure, there's no temptation to do anything outside of your comfort zone.
How dare you not lick my asshole all the time, drag me out of my comfort zone and punish me for chilling out and taking things at my own pace, videogames should bend to me, I paid money for this shit, reee.

I don't mind losing time-gated content, it's actually fun concept. I mind that instead of that content, I get boring shitty survival simulator, that somehow they managed to make worse than in the first game (I played Pathologic 2 at release, it might be fixed now, idk). Even if they didn't want to use anything unique or interesting, they could have at least made a competent survival sim, but this shit sucks balls even compared to average unity asset flip's gameplay.

You all bought that "misery Is part of the core gameplay", you can't even see how fucking badly designed it is. Point out any flaw and the best this game's fans can throw at you is "nah that's phart of that exparienca. It's shuppased to be trash".

Keep telling yourself that this is a criminally underrated gem and jerking it off, but it deserved to flop for how bad it's core (it being simulation) gameplay design is. I've never seen gameplay drag other parts of the game down so hard.
Which is sad, cause everyone expect the dude who worked on simulation, gave a fuck about the game and were competent.

Last edited:

Mark Richard

Arcane
boring shitty survival simulator
shit sucks balls
badly designed
deserved to flop for how bad it's core (it being simulation) gameplay design is.
These statements are the prelude to an explanation that never materializes, not an explanation in themselves. There's no substance behind saying it's a boring shitty survival simulator because shit sucks balls, shit sucks balls because it's badly designed, and it's badly designed because of how bad the core gameplay design is.

Last edited:

prengle

Savant
trying to say that the entire point of pathologic is simply to "suffer" is like saying that the entire point of super monkey ball is to fiddle around with a joystick and fall into the fucking void

well thats a bit of a stretch but what im trying to get across is that pathologic and the rest of ice-pick's games aren't trying to torture you for the sake of torturing you, pathologic in particular is hard as fuck (if you dont know what youre doing) not only to reinforce the feeling of being hopelessly lost and confused during a town-swallowing pandemic but to also reinforce the themes and ideas presented at the ending of the game which i will not spoil because you should play all the way to day 12 :)

trying to say that the entire point of pathologic is simply to "suffer" is like saying that the entire point of super monkey ball is to fiddle around with a joystick and fall into the fucking void

well thats a bit of a stretch but what im trying to get across is that pathologic and the rest of ice-pick's games aren't trying to torture you for the sake of torturing you, pathologic in particular is hard as fuck (if you dont know what youre doing) not only to reinforce the feeling of being hopelessly lost and confused during a town-swallowing pandemic but to also reinforce the themes and ideas presented at the ending of the game which i will not spoil because you should play all the way to day 12 :)
I played through it 3 times and got best possible ending (I played through original as well couple of times back in the day, so that helped).

Everything in this game, except for the simulation gameplay, is great. Using the simulation mechanics (thirst, hunger etc) and cranking their reduction up to this degree really hurts the experience.

If they at least tripled stamina and reduced thirst and hunger increase rates, but compensated by making days shorter, I'd have no problem.

Sleep and immunity are fine, cause they have choices and big consequences attached to handling them poorly. Thirst, hunger and clothing are just annoying chore and devs decided that it would be smart to force player to do it constantly, again and again, more often than in the fucking Sims game.

prengle

Savant
I played through it 3 times and got best possible ending (I played through original as well couple of times back in the day, so that helped).
at least you actually sat down and played the fucking game unlike the hundreds of thousands of people who watched hbombs five hour long Video Essay(tm), decided "oh golly gee looks like this game isnt for me uwu" and went back to calling for an anarchist revolution on twitter while complaining about their diaper rash or w/e

if you dont like the survival gameplay and how fucking brutal it is, just crank down the difficulty a bit. thats virtually the exact reason why ipl added difficulty settings in an update to begin with

Adon

Arcane
Started playing this a few days ago, and man, I am in love with the constant struggle. Currently on Day 5.

If you were to take away the survival mechanics or make them easier, I think it would diminish the importance of having to pick and choose what to deal with given the allotted time, diminish the concept of living in this village that is so steeped in tradition and old beliefs, and trivialize the plague. But honestly there's so many different ways to get your food that it never feels like the game is being unfair, you always get just enough to get by and I think that works.

I think the only part that I've been w/e about, or not really using is the clothing system.

Last edited:

GewuerzKahn

Savant
I only bought the artbook because I own everything else already. Man, I really want to own some real art in my home in the style of Pathologic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom