Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Asylum (from creator of Scratches)

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I stand corrected. The word scam was inappropriate, fiasco is more like it.
Hahah, yeah, I could get onboard with fiasco, sure. I guess I just see people lob the word "scam" around and I really feel it has different connotations than what happened here, and with other projects.

Boleskine

Arcane
Remember Asylum?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/agustincordes/asylum-kickstart-the-horror/posts/3206839

As you can see, there’s quite a few important developments. As the team is increasing and more members are joining Senscape, I find myself spending more time with management than production. Boo... But no worries, we’re still indie and all that, except that I was becoming a bottleneck in many aspects of production, and thankfully I’m now able to delegate tasks to a team I deeply trust. I am monitoring every aspect of development and playtesting. Crucially, this has allowed me to focus on my biggest responsibility in the project, which is writing and ensuring the story is rich and consistent throughout the entire experience ✍

Still writing? While he later mentions the addition of "side stories" which presumably don't alter the main plot or progression, I would have expected the writing (aside from smaller changes to dialogue or descriptions from tester feedback) to have been finished a long time ago.

The update also says, "the framework of the game is effectively frozen at this stage."

which brings me to another point VIPs among you have been wondering about: yes, a first beta is coming along your way. We’re giving this section (roughly 1/3 of the game) a couple more passes, taking special care that all story points are present and consistent. Yeah, it’s not just solving puzzles, as there’s a lot happening story-wise as soon as you enter the Tunnel of the Damned! We’re planning to deliver you three beta milestones, each amounting to one third of the game after we perform our internal playthroughs. This is very similar to how we tested Scratches and it works great, because the sooner we get critical feedback, the better. Certainly, we’ll keep every backer appraised of our progress and any findings during this phase.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I will say... I played a version of this long ago. It was pretty cool. It is definitely taking a long time, and yeah, adding more team members and writing more... after, like, almost a decade seems weird. But hey, stranger things have happened. I do wonder what this thing is gonna be like when it finally comes out.

fuzz

Liturgist
It's been interesting and sad to revisit this thread after all these years - the game surely must've gotten a release since my last posting in 2013, right? Right? :negative:
Seeing no new posts for 2022, curiously I've checked the Asylum's steampage:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/230210/view/3175608192440673955

Come see the ASYLUM shiver with antici... PATION!

(...)

linkfilter

The lowdown
The haunting, twisted, and monolithic asylum you all have been expecting to play has seen advancements all across the board. Now that the game is fully playable, there's a lot of balancing and adjusting that we're doing. The main game logic (or critical path) is being finalized, we added a wealth of documents, notes, clues to flesh out the story, and also the implementation of achievements is underway. This decaying and utterly foul place is being brought to life with a gazillion things to see and do: there's something to discover around every corner, from a curious item that harkens back to past life in the asylum, to historically accurate documentation about early and sinister health practices, to an unexpected flashback as you're playing that brings chills down your spine. Even completing the achievements might feel like playing a separate game! As you may recall, these were designed with context in mind, and discovering them will reveal more of your profile as a patient. Me, I especially like the Scavenger and Melancholic ones

1ea25d4775c31558c0b2d5f1732885f1bba3c669.png

Why, look at that! We're now using Confluence to organize our work. My, are we fancy.

7183753fb71d43f5df804bc35ff8c35a95a9916f.jpg

Another big consequence of this balancing act was the polishing and regrading of most environments in the game. The so-called beauty pass, which is resulting in gorgeous new 4K captures that we'll be using to update our store pages soon, some of which you are already seeing all over this update. ASYLUM has never looking this gorgeous — and I'm saying this in a truly deviant way.

270c97ace1f749f6419de65b204dbf9d8d0726c2.jpg

(btw, there's an Easter egg for fans of Scratches in that image — can you find it?)

giphy.gif

Something else we're doing right now —and I hate not being able to tell you more about this— is beginning to implement the last moments of the game. It's both exhilarating and scary to finally be at this stage after all this time. Playing through the entirety of ASYLUM, and experiencing what was designed ages ago, has provided us with a new perspective on what the game was always meant to be. I mean, of course we knew what we were trying to accomplish all this time, but let's say that we are now... connecting the few remaining dots somehow. Every detail in the game has a purpose, and even seemingly random details that we included during early stages of the project have now gained a revelatory new meaning

728e2e182f2a53428d9fd26c9f16c4abf6b95529.jpg

I really love how the game unfolds, and how everything converges at the end. I think you will too! There are no more questions left — everything works as expected. But, as I said in the opening paragraph, it's time to let new people play the game and give us fresh feedback. And our first test subjects (now that is appropriate!) will be the lovely Mod team of our Discord community. They don't know what's coming to them, hehe. Poor souls. Bwhahaha! They shall experience THE MADNESS in all its gory glory!! Hehehehe... eh... but I don't want to lose my Mod team

giphy.gif

Anyways, that's the lowdown on the status. There's been many other developments, such as the logic behind Lenny (who essentially behaves like a character in Interactive Fiction games, featuring an internal "schedule"), many explorable items were added, and so, so much more. I wish I could show you what a hugely complex game this is, but alas, that would mean spoiling the whole thing for you. Just take our word for it: there is no other game like ASYLUM in the industry. It's going to be very special ✨

23996300452d139e1a1bb2bdfa2cd634f2e2e9c8.jpg

Happenings at Senscape
In other related news, it's been a rollercoaster of a year for us, and especially for me. Actually, mere months, which felt like a lifetime! Not too long ago, Senscape was only four people, a cozy little team that only needed a single Discord channel to organize their job. Yet since the beginning of the pandemic we have tripled our size. Yes, we're now a dozen folks at the company, with likely more coming! Reason for this growth of course was boosting the development pace of ASYLUM on one hand, and then forming a second team for a number of exciting opportunities that came our way. As you can imagine, I had to adapt to a whole new scenario at the company, at last needing to conceive something resembling an organizational structure. So we're slightly less scrappy than before, but still a cozy family who is super motivated to make great things together

ca6e69dd9ce201ef4ff0893b0c2593ef4bb45ebd.jpg

There's basically two branches at Senscape now: Video Games and Virtual Production. The game team is solely focused on ASYLUM and consists of 7 people (besides me). We never had so many folks working on the project at the same time! I've always been doing way too much myself: design, writing, programming, even sound compositing, and this larger team is relieving me of many of those responsibilities. I can focus on direction, management, and steering things forward, without becoming a bottleneck as before.

1550b9de67d6c074581821f927c2f5b98aad4a83.jpg

The Virtual Production gang have been tackling a number of exciting projects that I'll share with you in the future. For instance, we've been involved in the production of a film creating virtual backgrounds in Unreal Engine for LED volumes (the so-called "Mandalorian style"). We made an actual movie, folks! And with cutting-edge technology, which is pretty nuts. We learned a huge deal too, and the team is looking forward to bring some of this filmmaking experience back to games. Do we have fans of FMV adventures in here?

db6ca03700076c3acddaca90980bd293d9b50925.jpg

Another big upside of this growth is that the company is enjoying good financial stability. So fear not about the development of ASYLUM: it's all in solid shape.

(...)

What's next?
Well, this was quite the read — there's much going on. We had another period of uneasy silence, but remember that we're always
here. I keep hearing words of comfort and encouragement, you know, insisting that the game will never be released, that is vaporware, or that we are complete failures. Guess we must be very stubborn people because we're still working very hard to get this project done. To all of you that are sticking around, believing in us, and taking the time to say something nice, THANK YOU! The Senscape team is creating the horror game of your dreams... ahem, nightmares, intricately designed and painstakingly produced. And now that everything is coming together, we are extra sure you will love every moment!

Remember that we have a highly active Discord community in which Manuel has been posting weekly
updates. It's the best place to remain in touch and be up to speed with the latest developments.

c4ddea30d18dcfe15ee255ea769597bba6f1200c.jpg

I'll see you next time, likely with decisive news and impressions after new crew members have played ASYLUM!

Have a disgustingly beautiful weekend,
—Agustín

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom