Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Because he is making games for retards.

Not retards, just casual 12 year olds with tons of time to waste walking around looking what to do without a proper journal and map (and just alt-tabbing to visit some online guide), savescumming, and taking 10 seconds to click in order to swing a sword in turn based combat.
It seems to me that you always try to (very unsubtly) shit on those same games that you constantly bring up as the cornerstones of modern CRPGs.

"[a game] made for casual 12 year olds with tons of time to wast walking around" really sounds like a perfect description for your beloved Skyrim and Fallout 76.

Robber Baron

Savant
I doubt that something as significant as party size will be changed at this point of development, as always mods are the only bet
They changed the entire dialogue writing style from that very awkward first-person narration we saw in the first gameplay showcase to the more orthodox style they showed us yesterday. But, yes, I'm pretty skeptic about it too.

You gotta believe in the mods man. DoS2 mod worked great, and even DAO console commands to add party members did their job(for me), there were bugs yeah(mostly dialogs) but nothing that could ruin the overall comfy experience of a classic size party.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
It seems to me that you always try to (very unsubtly) shit on those same games that you constantly bring up as the cornerstones of modern CRPGs.

"[a game] made for casual 12 year olds with tons of time to wast walking around" really sounds like a perfect description for your beloved Skyrim and Fallout 76.

Your perception is incorrect. I don't love Fallout 76, i only like single player CRPGs.

Saravan

Savant
I was watching that interview ( https://youtu.be/yecUvbMnkhM ) and din't got. Why Vincke believes that spell slots are hard to new players grasp? A lot of games uses it. From Final Fantasy 1, PS1 Suikuden to modern games like Dark Souls 2. And note that i an mentioning consoele RPG's. For me, spell slots are easy to understand. You attune a spell and when cast, need to rest to "re attune" and use it again. And more powerful the magician is, more powerful and in greater quantity of spells he can "attune". It is a very simplistic abstraction. Same with spell circles. In a fantasy world, makes sense that someone who learned magic yesterday can only use the most basic magics while the strongest archagicians can use the most powerful spells ever. Even some games who uses "mana" tends to have spell circles like Gothic 1/2. On World of Darkness, they also separate spells by "dots"

• 1st Dot: Initiate
  • 2nd Dot: Apprentice
  • 3rd Dot: Disciple
  • 4th Dot: Adept
  • 5th Dot: Master
Anything above 5th dot is reserved to archmagicians which has access to archspheres. The same abstration is used on physical things. Firearms skill and even fame, where 5 dot fame is famous all around the world. I never saw anyone criticizing spell slots on dark souls. Nor magical effects from weapons whych degrades the weapon durability.

Yeah because you need a PhD in mathematics to play Pathfinder.

Delterius

Arcane
I was watching that interview ( https://youtu.be/yecUvbMnkhM ) and din't got. Why Vincke believes that spell slots are hard to new players grasp? A lot of games uses it. From Final Fantasy 1, PS1 Suikuden to modern games like Dark Souls 2. And note that i an mentioning consoele RPG's. For me, spell slots are easy to understand. You attune a spell and when cast, need to rest to "re attune" and use it again. And more powerful the magician is, more powerful and in greater quantity of spells he can "attune". It is a very simplistic abstraction. Same with spell circles. In a fantasy world, makes sense that someone who learned magic yesterday can only use the most basic magics while the strongest archagicians can use the most powerful spells ever. Even some games who uses "mana" tends to have spell circles like Gothic 1/2. On World of Darkness, they also separate spells by "dots"

Anything above 5th dot is reserved to archmagicians which has access to archspheres. The same abstration is used on physical things. Firearms skill and even fame, where 5 dot fame is famous all around the world. I never saw anyone criticizing spell slots on dark souls. Nor magical effects from weapons whych degrades the weapon durability.

how dare you imply otherwise

consider yourself exiled

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

how dare you imply otherwise

consider yourself exiled
No please don't exile him, we need his Ontopoly-related memes.

Silva

Arcane
Not lying, this looks better than any previous BG. But then, let's be frank, BG games were pretty shit, and only got popular because D&D. Actual gameplay don't hold a candle to the genre's actual good stuff like Ultimas, Darklands, Fallouts, Arcanum, Bloodlines, etc. It's basically a insufferable linear story game with little interactivity or reactivity except combat, combat, combat (and a poor combat at that).

While this looks nothing like the previous games, apparently drinking from the classics instead. This 15min showcase has more C&C than all previous BG titles added together.

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
I disliked that every player character seems to have a "badass superhero" personality, like they were all lvl 20 seasoned adventurers; I hope it's just a wrong impression from the shortness of the demo and that the unrevealed companions will have more range.
I also disliked the devil part, I'm not really eager about standing there left-clicking to browse through all the bullying-smug poem of some invincible dude; moreover the whole happening felt like a repainted version of the meetings with the gods of DOS2, which IMO weren't exactly exiting moments to say the least.
I liked all the rest.
yes me too, but all games do this nowadays. They all makes super heros, its really annoying. I don't see it going away really. I mean a 1st level swishy bard guy jumps off the ladder and its like the hulk jumped down from orbit and made a 40 foot crater.
Games are mainly for kids , you know and today kids - i mean teenagers and older ones are different than the ones in 80's or 90's and gaming industry is different. It's sad but true, times when gaming , or more precise crpg gaming was more for older players ends ;) .
Now every crpg must be action packed crpg, full of colours and easy trophies.
Let's be happy that we have a niche for true crpgs here and there still .

Last edited:
Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
I mean mental, not only age. 35 is rather young . Im feel young still and around 40.
One problem is time for gaming very limited to most of over 30's, so games follows and try to be kind of arcade experience.
Anyway it's nice to have beef up crpgs with campaigns for over 100's hours.

Last edited:

norolim

Arcane
Gameplay wasn't bad at all in that presentation. The only thing I didn't like about the combat were some aspects of the presentation: the over the top spell/ability animations and the god-awful sound effects. Why is there an explosion effect every time you select any spell/ability and than another one, when you cast it. My ears started bleeding half way through that video.

Writing is still shit and I don't see how it could get better, when talentless ideologists like VanOrd are responsible for that.

The Real Fanboy
Lae’zel could definitely be a fortnite skin she’s that standout! I still reaaaaly don’t think anyone else is interesting...but the game looked like a lot of fun!

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What's your stance on the onscreen dice roll? While I appreciate that they try to evoke the feeling of a pnp RPG, I think the adventage of computer RPGs is that you don't have to wait for dice rolls. Having to wait 5 seconds for every dicerolling sequence will be annoying on the long run. I would just keep that in the combat log, in the background.

hell bovine

Arcane
Liked the combat (and Lae'zel), didn't like the animations. Though they should've let someone else do the gameplay, because I'd have preferred to see how a battle plays out when someone actually competent controls the party.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
At one point of the stream, a goblin goes back to sleep, after he gets mind dominated with a [TADPOLED] dialog line. Swen makes a comment "I wish I could do that, just go back to sleep like that". So Swen is having problems going to sleep. Not surprising, he's always looked rather hyperactive and obsessive.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It can't be worse than Baldur's Gate 1
If it lacks the freedom of Baldur's Gate I and II and replaces it with D:OS linearity of "look we have yuuge open areas.... which you will have to traverse exactly in the order we want", for the sake of some shitty "improved narrative experience"
This is D&D and it has no retarded stat bloat, so they can't do this even if they wanted to.

RE: Party size - like we've talked about before, D&D PnP doesn't have set in stone rules about how many characters there can be in a party. Most adventures afaik are up to 5 (I know Curse of Strahd is 4 to 6), but I have to look it up to be sure. It's decline in the sense it's decline for a video game, but when playing PnP everyone usually controls just 1 character with a few exceptions.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Games are mainly for kids

Source? And even if is the case, the average old school CRPG consumer is probably a completely different audience than a fortnite player.

Your perception is incorrect. I don't love Fallout 76, i only like single player CRPGs.

And you beloved AAA industry is shifting to MP due the fact that "live services" are more profitable. Morrowind got released in 2002. Oblivion on 2006. Skyrim in 2011. And we don't have a SP RPG from almost a decade. You blame "indies" for having less AAA rpgs, but the reality is that AAA RPG's are losing so much RPG on it that even visual novels has way more RPG than they and now, they are not only streamlining things.

Lets suppose that WoTC had gave the D&D/Baldur's Gate license to BioWare or EA. Do you think that they will make a faithful D&D adaptation? They will probably make it into another wow clone. As the new dragon age will be even more wow like than inquisition already was.

I an not saying that Larian is perfect, but they are certainly better than modern bioware or bugthesda.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom