Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
FUnzS3Q.gif

Semiurge

Cipher
oh, and also your ear wax has a specific odor that prevents spiders and other insects from laying eggs in your ear canal during sleep, but some people don't secret it enough (or remove it too much with cotton swabs)

:what:

Surely that must be a coincidence, not the result of natural selection? I thought that fermented cheese smell of lugwax only attracted insects...

boobio

Arcane
Trigger Warning Shitposter

Guinness World Records has officially reinstated Billy Mitchell's Pac-Man and Donkey Kong World Records. The decision resulted from a independent, unbiased investigation into the situation. This video presents Billy Mitchell's official statement on GWR's decision.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I can verify that Guinness World Records are dodgy, by one example of anecdotal evidence and one factual evidence.

# Around 15 years ago a former author-turned-translator was interviewed about her work, and she mentioned that she had written subtitles for over 6200 episodes of the same TV series (a soap opera). This got various people talking about how that may be a world record. So her employers contacted GWR and asked them to check their records. When they finally bothered to respond 18 months later they said that the record was "too niche" to be considered for a possible world record. While most people just shrugged and moved on after that, a few people got to *thinking* (myself included) once GWR started posting some truly niche records in the years afterwards. (I'll leave it up to the reader to come up with such examples.)

# Towser the mouser.

Now compare that to how GWR reinstated all of Mitchell's record scores, instead of going through each one and verifying it independently.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
It doesn't make money from selling books anymore, it makes money from selling records to people who want fame or do some crazy PR event. John Oliver did a segment on them once, and there's an interesting podcast about thist: https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2017/09/20/552203402/episode-795-is-record-breaking-broken

Guinness' main customers used to be kids who were just fascinated by the people who were breaking records and pushing the limits of what it meant to be a human. Guinness' customers now are the record-breakers themselves. If you pay Guinness enough money, they will help you figure out a record you can break, and they will help you break it. Guinness is even setting up places where members of the public can come in and attempt a record - for a small fee of course. Guinness is now in the business of selling record-breaking attempts, and they are really good at it.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Some digital convention founded by Neal and Jana Hallford, host panels by game devs, writers, and actors. https://www.lockdowncon.com/

Only two gaming panels, but with some big names:

Friday, June 26th

7:00pm
Narrative Design For Computer Games

Jana Hallford (M), Neal Hallford, Chris Avellone

Saturday, June 27th

12:00pm
The Golden Age of Computer Gaming

Matt Barton (M), Trip Hawkins, Ray Muzyka, Warren Spector, John Cutter, Neal Hallford

This will be streamed via Youtube.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wow. Very nice of Neal to arrange for Matt Barton to meet with these old-time bigshots. Future Matt Chat guests?

lightbane

Arcane
What's up with the sudden spider-mania? Anyway, horheristo is making gameplay videos about incoming games that test the limits of Youtube's censorship.

Churrasco

Augur
Patron
Wasteland 2
RIP Tony Jay, it was great becoming a fan in Soul Reaver, but it was amazing to go back to my childhood cartoons and find out he was in them aswell(Reboot and Hey Arnold in this case)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom