Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadow Empire - planetary conquest from Advanced Tactics/Decisive Campaigns dev

Mortmal

Arcane
How do you beeline for specific techs? Only setting i found was discovery slider to max to hope getting things faster, but i am not even sure it works .I noticed the AI getting better combat tech for its infantry all the time, gause rifle and heavy combat armor while my tech tree stagnate in the middle. I am still winning with sheer numbers however.

Harthwain

Magister
How do you beeline for specific techs?
From the developer diary:

The essence of Shadow Empire research is that it is a two-step process. First you have to discover a Tech and then you can chose to research that Tech.

Discovery is easier than researching, thus often you’ll have to make a choice which of your discoveries you’ll actually want to focus your research on.

Due to the random discoveries you’ll never have exactly the same Techs between which to chose to focus your Research on.

However having said that… the system is only partly random. This is because Techs always belong to a Tech Group. Once you have researched 3 Techs in a Group all the Techs in the connected Groups will become open to Discovery. So for example in the above screeny the Player will only be able to make discoveries in the Basic Tech Group. Once the Player has researched 3 Techs of this Group he’ll be able to also discover Techs in the Chemistry and Engineering Tech Groups.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
So, I've made a quick spreadsheet for the game. It has 3 sheets covering grouped up and sorted tables for Organization Councils, Government Profiles & Stratagems respectively, essentially the stuff from manual that's not presented so concisely in-game. Fairly printable as two-sided A4. As a side note, it's a junk account so don't bother.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gC52AZEy5V-CdR5Gvrg0oBlCCRpKkXm6OgxCjpckFsE

Beowulf

Arcane
How do you beeline for specific techs?
From the developer diary:

The essence of Shadow Empire research is that it is a two-step process. First you have to discover a Tech and then you can chose to research that Tech.

Discovery is easier than researching, thus often you’ll have to make a choice which of your discoveries you’ll actually want to focus your research on.

Due to the random discoveries you’ll never have exactly the same Techs between which to chose to focus your Research on.

However having said that… the system is only partly random. This is because Techs always belong to a Tech Group. Once you have researched 3 Techs in a Group all the Techs in the connected Groups will become open to Discovery. So for example in the above screeny the Player will only be able to make discoveries in the Basic Tech Group. Once the Player has researched 3 Techs of this Group he’ll be able to also discover Techs in the Chemistry and Engineering Tech Groups.

Exactly. The more groups you open, the lower the probability of getting the tech you want.

Mortmal

Arcane
Ah, now i understand what the problem was, in fact i opened too many tech panels , it requires more micro than i think , like completely shutting down discovery till i got 3 tech fully researched in the same box.Game is really fantastic to fiddle with.

Mortmal

Arcane
Now i am trying to figure out he OHQ units, i see the great advantage of stratagems like infantry getting 50% defense, but combined arms? Not so much . For exemple a medusa type planet was covered in woods , i assume you should use only infantries in such terrains , or am i wrong ? The few plains are covered by light tanks. But i see no reason to build combined arms or mechanized infantries for that scenario. When does those combined formations shine ?

Hoggypare

Savant
Now i am trying to figure out he OHQ units, i see the great advantage of stratagems like infantry getting 50% defense, but combined arms? Not so much . For exemple a medusa type planet was covered in woods , i assume you should use only infantries in such terrains , or am i wrong ? The few plains are covered by light tanks. But i see no reason to build combined arms or mechanized infantries for that scenario. When does those combined formations shine ?
Combined arms if You mean assault infantry (inf+tanks) are not great, but if the whole formation is motorized, or better, mechanized, they become extremely useful. The problem with tanks is they cost a whole lot and tend to take casualties when being attacked. Mixing them up with infantry helps their survivability and spreads the heavy firepower of Your army across more units, while keeping the cost down and numbers up. Additionally such formations do better in mixed terrain (where You have mostly plains, but with scattered forests and hills).
That said, on heavily forested medusa worlds I would go full on infantry and artillery, with some additional recon and eventually walkers.

Mortmal

Arcane
Combined arms if You mean assault infantry (inf+tanks) are not great, but if the whole formation is motorized, or better, mechanized, they become extremely useful. The problem with tanks is they cost a whole lot and tend to take casualties when being attacked. Mixing them up with infantry helps their survivability and spreads the heavy firepower of Your army across more units, while keeping the cost down and numbers up. Additionally such formations do better in mixed terrain (where You have mostly plains, but with scattered forests and hills).
That said, on heavily forested medusa worlds I would go full on infantry and artillery, with some additional recon and eventually walkers.
Ok thanks, for infantry + artillery, combined forces or independant units ? I've noticed bombing with artillery ranged attack doesnt do so much.

Beowulf

Arcane
Artillery reduces entrenchment, so best use artillery and infantry together. You can raise independent artillery formations and attach them to already existing infantry OHQ.
Decent results with bombardment you'll get once you are able to field Rocket an Missile units.

Hoggypare

Savant
Ok thanks, for infantry + artillery, combined forces or independant units ? I've noticed bombing with artillery ranged attack doesnt do so much.

Very much depends. Generally having independent artillery is better, and as Beowulf said, the barrage reduces entrenchment and readiness. So while they don't kill often, that makes it much, much easier for Your forces in the following assault. However siege infantry (inf+guns) are not bad, and actualy really useful, especially in rough terrain for multiple reasons. Artillery occupies support slot and has very good attack. This can make up for many deficiencies of pure infantry formations like lack of punch, weak AT, etc. I generally make two models of guns, one, lighter field gun (60mm or so) to put in combined units, and a heavier piece to create independent formations from.

Mortmal

Arcane
Thats good advice both of you thanks, yes infantry is bad at attack on difficult terrain begining of game, so that extra punch will be needed.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Btw, you can transfer APC from a mechanised unit to a Galactic Republic rifle unit. That really helps them following up.
I typically set research very low and discover high on echo until I get the critical techs (solar panels+the one that extracts metal from ground).
For military, it really depends.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
OMG, apparently, recycler can also run out of things to recycle. So the grand total iron production for my empire has been zero for quite some turns now (I managed to seize 2 extra recyclers and one ground metal extractors, though, but not being able to replace casualties for 10 turns really hurts).

Edija

Arcane
Patron
OMG, apparently, recycler can also run out of things to recycle. So the grand total iron production for my empire has been zero for quite some turns now (I managed to seize 2 extra recyclers and one ground metal extractors, though, but not being able to replace casualties for 10 turns really hurts).

I actually like that, puts some emphasis on stocking up and not selling your rare metals and shit for a bit of cash since you're running on a deficit. I mean, that can be a strat as well, sell your things for money and try to steamroll while the supplies last. I had a game the other day wondering for a hour why there is absolutely no fuel on the map, ramping up the prospecting rate and so on - then I realized it is a sterile planet without life, so no fucking fuel ever.

Mortmal

Arcane

I actually like that, puts some emphasis on stocking up and not selling your rare metals and shit for a bit of cash since you're running on a deficit. I mean, that can be a strat as well, sell your things for money and try to steamroll while the supplies last. I had a game the other day wondering for a hour why there is absolutely no fuel on the map, ramping up the prospecting rate and so on - then I realized it is a sterile planet without life, so no fucking fuel ever.
Had that, only hope is getting high tech part to make solar panels to sustain many hydroponics and transform into biofuel, the cost in manpower is of course huge you wont field many tanks . After a few dozen hours, i like this better than smac too.

Beowulf

Arcane

Every resource hex has a finite supply, unless stated otherwise (I've seen unlimited only for water so far, I doubt it's unlimited for other resources, but you never know).

Last edited:

gogis

Scholar
That's interesting. Where can I find information about that, I don't think manual mentions it anywhere, does it?

It doesn't and game isn't. Dude writes some inane stuff about game mechanics, just ignore him

Beowulf

Arcane
u1Kurfn.png

MK3A7Dn.png

700 poor infantrymen lost to 400 bugs.
It's a fucking Klendathu over there again.

starship-troopers.jpg

Squids are even worse.

VZVYR78.png

And yet I lost:
CyDMn3u.png

Hoggypare

Savant
Well, they had 100 initial readiness and 125 entrenchment

Dear sir, may I interest You in the benefits of...
giphy.gif

...artillery support?

Edija

Arcane
Patron
I had bugs and I surrounded them and just entrenched, then I nuked them with a GR Missile launcher I got. Probably not needed, but very satisfying nonetheless.

Hoggypare

Savant
So when we doing MP
The dev is pumping out updates every day. They are usually for minor stuff, balancing, etc., but many require a brand new start. It is not much of an issue if something affects one person, but in MP it is best to have as a polished product as possible.
I think the best course of action is to wait still a little bit more, for like 1.05.

That said in this game I could potentially be interested. Could be my first codex multiplayer experience, how exciting!

Comte

I would also be interested in a MP game but I wanna wait as well until he gets a bit more updates out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom