Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The timer idea seems unlikely to be implemented. Swen mentioned that the game is going to have a lot of exploration and poking around places looking for stuff, which would be difficult to do if you have a clock always ticking down and you're just trying to steamroll through to wherever you get the tadpole removed.
There's going to be a timer on the tadpole quest, otherwise they wouldn't be reminding you of that one-week limit all the time. This doesn't mean, however, that there are going to be other time limits, or even that the consequence of missing the deadline is a game over.

Delterius

Arcane
JRPG profile picture
thinking.png
In jrpgs you are supposed to grind to lvl 9999 so you can one shot the final boss.

Saravan

Savant
I've been playing Spellforce III recently—these are the graphics BG3 should have.
Watching the gameplay footage from the other day, especially the character models and proportions, is
:prosper:
12ERKVT.png
lXihaYi.png
yaYoBF5.png
Q7a6BNo.png
KUGFpQK.png
Oh yeah,SF3 is one of the best RPG made in the last decade. It is an amazing game. Expecting similar quality from a Dos2 clone is delusional.

Haven't played Spellforce 3 yet just Spellforce 3: Soul Harvest, which I have heard is supposed to be an improvement upon the original. The game has an interesting take on the RPG/RTS formula, but I wouldn't call it the best RPG made in the last decade. It's hardly something that hasn't been done before. For example Warlord's Battlecry 3 and Warcraft 3 have similar systems. The character progression and builds aren't that deep in the game, you usually end up spamming one or two active abilities per character. The RTS portion is very simplistic. You basically conquer lands quickly with heroes, gather a bunch of resources and spam the enemy to death with a single type of combat and siege unit - if you are not just killing everything with your heroes that is. Depends on the difficulty level chosen. The story is serviceable, but nothing spectacular, at least in Spellforce 3: Soul Harvest.

The graphics of the game are fantastic, really like the style and wouldn't have minded at all if Baldur's Gate 3 used it but the graphics they have chosen look pretty good as well. It's very difficult to get 3D characters right, so we'll see how they go through iterations on that. I'm suspecting the gigantic hands will be changed sooner or later.

Saravan

Savant
JRPGs are literally worse than racism.
They are probably the reason for racism against the Japanese.
I played a JRPG once and I can confirm that I have hated Japanese people ever since.

I don't know fam, I enjoyed Golden Sun and Chrono Trigger as a kid. Most SNES games were fun to grow up with but I don't feel a need to play them now. Or do you mean more over-the-top anime shit because that I fully understand.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
JRPGs are literally worse than racism.
They are probably the reason for racism against the Japanese.
I played a JRPG once and I can confirm that I have hated Japanese people ever since.

LOL. which one?

Anyway, Can you imagine if Square Enix, instead of Larian had got BG3 license? Instead of choosing a race and class, you will have a very woman looking male human teenager guy and would be only one class. anime swordsman. The most popualr homebrew subclass from D&D beyond. And **** you if you wanna play as any other class or race.

wE9FHyx.png

And before people respond this post seriously, i an just joking. I know that there are some JRPGs which doesn't force you to play as this types of characters.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Do you even realise that this is a joke/satire?

I know, i just posted the subclass because i found funny. "plot armor", "power of friendship", "ridiculous unpractical attack" "monologue", they did a amazing job translating this things from ideas to game mechanics.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Now what have we seen of Baldur's Gate 3 so far? You're trapped on an interdimensional octupus blimp and a Mind Flayer surprise-sexes his tadpole into your eyesocket, and then he drives the octoblimp to Balance™ the town of Yartar, and then githyanki riding DRAGONS teleport in and tear into the octoblimp and it goes down KABOOM and then you assemble a team of fellow skullfucks and a powerful devil takes a sudden interest in your soul and then you drop down a hole into the UNDERDARK and then etc. I mean, who wrote this? Michael Bay?
Why would anyone expect a "humble beginnings" intro from Larian?

In D:OS is the protagonists start out as a pair of special agents sent to investigate a political murder in a town beset by an orc invasion and a plague of undead where your greetings party is a shapeshifter archmage. Of all D:OS2 origins Lohse is the most mundane which still means she's a famous bard struggling with a demon inside her. In any case you're a Sourcerer (which is already a pretty big deal) prisoner on your way to a concentration camp island where your greetings party is the son of the Divine.

Some people may see the flashiness of the BG3 intro as a bad thing, but good or bad it's hardly surprising.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Why would anyone who has played either D:OS game expect any kind of coherent story from Larian. The bar is so low that I can't imagine anything they do in BGIII turning out worse.

Gargaune

Magister
BG kicks off by two assassinations attempts in a row in the first hour of gameplay
Not quite on the level of getting eye-raped by Cthulhu aboard a UFO, I'd say.

Well, BG3 is an indirect sequel to BG2, so it makes sense for it to start with an earthquake, followed by rising tension.
Hardly, it's a new story featuring a new protagonist, and starting off on an earthquake means you'll likely have to resort to the Day After Tomorrow through midgame if you want to keep that tension rising. They might pull a fast one and then hide the Illithids and other more outlandish content after the reveal until later in the game, but I get the impression that's not what they're going for.

It all boils down to inflation - the more supernatural the content you throw at the player at once, the less impressive the supernatural becomes. And the Forgotten Realms is a setting where the supernatural is already dangerously mundane.

It's also - if I am not mistaken - the first attempt to establish a video game based on DnD 5.0, so I am not surprised at all that both Larian and WotC want to fill it with enough cool stuff to catch the attention of wider gaming audience.
On this we agree, the name "Baldur's Gate" still carries some clout in the market, but nowhere near enough to electrify the gaming masses at large. It's obvious that Larian and WotC have a lot of money riding on this and they need to reach out to a much wider demographic, so they try to dazzle with dragons and devils and tentacle monsters under the spotlight. But just because we understand the why, doesn't mean we have to like it. I kinda wish they'd disconnected the promotional cinematic from the actual game introduction, such as saving the dragons and the attack on Yartar for later in the plot.

Some people may see the flashiness of the BG3 intro as a bad thing, but good or bad it's hardly surprising.
I only played a few hours of the original D:OS and then drifted off, so dunno. That said, no one's gonna be surprised if Bethesda's next game has loads of bugs and shit UI, doesn't mean we won't bitch about it.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Why would anyone who has played either D:OS game expect any kind of coherent story from Larian. The bar is so low that I can't imagine anything they do in BGIII turning out worse.
We don't expect anything better from BG3, but what about BG4? :smug:
If it happens, then more of the same (i.e. D:OS 4).
[...]
If
[...]
:drink:

I bet 50 brofists that they are already working on it.

Vatnik Wumao
We don't expect anything better from BG3, but what about BG4? :smug:
If it happens, then more of the same (i.e. D:OS 4).
[...]
If
[...]
:drink:
Well, BG3 is nothing but a big publicity stunt for Larian. After that, I imagine that they'd prefer to keep to their own IP (whether isomestric or 3D a la BG3) as to avoid design constraints imposed upon them by WotC.

Dodo1610

Arcane
I really don't think that they will make BG4, Swen already said times that they don't want to become a Forgotten Realms studio, the game after Bg3 will be a Divinity title

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I really don't think that they will make BG4, Swen already said times that they don't want to become a Forgotten Realms studio, the game after Bg4 will be a Divinity title

I hope they dont blueball us on a 10 level game that gets never continued.
Owlcat for 11-20 Baldurs Gate IV pls. Although maybe not because I dont want to place them beneath the corporate hand of Hasbro.

Robber Baron

Savant
It's clear that Swen wants BG3 to be a successor to BG2 and not BG1. Illithid worm kicks of the game with a clear threat and a goal for the player to work towards to. We sadly can't expect the game world to be as big as the old games so for the adventure to be meaningful and expansive without backtracking the narrative needs to be aggressive.

Vatnik Wumao
It's clear that Swen wants BG3 to be a successor to BG2 and not BG1. Illithid worm kicks of the game with a clear threat and a goal for the player to work towards to. We sadly can't expect the game world to be as big as the old games so for the adventure to be meaningful and expansive without backtracking the narrative needs to be aggressive.
Nah, Swen just wants to bring more attention to Larian as well as to experiment with the preexisting D:OS format without tarnishing that series' reputation.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

Bit of a shame, since Baldurs Gate 1 is the better game. To truly make a game in the image of Baldurs Gate 1 you need to start on a clean slate so BG3 could never come after BG1.
I would love a Curse of Strahd 5e crpg made with the BG 1 design philosophy in mind. That could become my all time favourite game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom