Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Why would anyone who has played either D:OS game expect any kind of coherent story from Larian.
Everything that happened in the D:OS games had an explanation. So what exactly was incoherent there?

Robber Baron

Savant
Bit of a shame, since Baldurs Gate 1 is the better game. To truly make a game in the image of Baldurs Gate 1 you need to start on a clean slate so BG3 could never come after BG1.
I would love a Curse of Strahd 5e crpg made with the BG 1 design philosophy in mind. That could become my all time favourite game.

If you enjoy low level adventuring I can recommend Realms of Arkania games.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Actually, the BG3 main story is much more inspired by BG1: You are true soul/Bhallspawn you are threatened by Cult of the absolute/Iron Thron which is led by another True soul/Bhaalspwn who unites bandits and other monsters in order to take over the city of Baldurs Gate because of the dead three/Bhaal. Source: https://i.imgur.com/wDhL6kh.png + the stuff Swen said during the stream.
Of course, the story is much grander and more "Epic" but the similarities are there.

Last edited:

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
We sadly can't expect the game world to be as big as the old games
It's hard to directly compare D:OS2 with BG1 in the world size, but let's try.

BG1 consisted of about 60 maps (including major interiors and dungeons). Those maps were relatively small by today's standards and only seemed large because of the 640x480 screen resolution. Many of them were also largely empty. D:OS2 has 4 acts and to be effectively as large as BG1 each act needs to be as large as 15 of BG1 maps. And 15 is just 5x3. Like I said, the maps were rather small in BG1, so we have no reason to say that the whole of BG1 is significantly larger (if it's larger at all) than the whole of D:OS2.

Robber Baron

Savant
We sadly can't expect the game world to be as big as the old games
It's hard to directly compare D:OS2 to BG1 in world size, but let's try.
BG1 consisted of about 60 maps (including major interiors and dungeons). Those maps were relatively small by today's standards and only seemed large because of the 640x480 screen resolution. Many of them were also largely empty. D:OS2 has 4 acts and to be effectively as large as BG1 each act needs to be as large as 15 of BG1 maps. And 15 is just 5x3. Like I said, the maps were rather small in BG1, so we have no reason to say that the whole of BG1 is significantly larger (if it's larger at all) than the whole of D:OS2.

Sadly, of all the DoS2 maps only Reaper's coast and Arx are likely to make up for the size of 15 BG1-like maps, Nameless Isle and Fort Joy are 5-7 at best.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
loved: examine UI. gonna spend hours reading shit and looking at 3d models which are expected to be of high quality;
disgusting: blood spills on the ground. whimsy color, ridiculous amount, shit stain-y shape. absolutely no.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Sadly, of all the DoS2 maps only Reaper's coast and Arx are likely to make up for the size of 15 BG1-like maps, Nameless Isle and Fort Joy are 5-7 at best.
You slightly exaggerate the size of BG1, but let's just assume you're right and D:OS2 is 25% smaller. It's hardly a meaningful difference, considering that BioWare could easily cut 25% of BG1 without actually losing any content.

Dodo1610

Arcane
I could live with this looking like Divinity but now I found out they stole from Kingmaker and added a giant magical Owlbear :argh:
EcF03OW.jpg

Robber Baron

Savant
OK, since I also like low level RPGs, I'll give them a go. But if they turn out to be unplayable buggy mess with terrible graphics, I'll have your head.

If you enjoy low-level adventuring you'll easily find major points of interest in these games that will overshadow their obvious low budget nature.

You slightly exaggerate the size of BG1

I greatly exaggerate the potential size of BG3(I'll be very happy to be proven wrong) considering how vertical they are aiming for the locations to be, DoS2 areas are very cramped together leaving the scale of adventure to your imagination.

I really don't think that they will make BG4, Swen already said times that they don't want to become a Forgotten Realms studio, the game after Bg3 will be a Divinity title

If they're clever they are gonna license their engine for exactly that sort of thing though…

Icewind Dale III, make it happen! :grpg:

norolim

Arcane
OK, since I also like low level RPGs, I'll give them a go. But if they turn out to be unplayable buggy mess with terrible graphics, I'll have your head.

If you enjoy low-level adventuring you'll easily find major points of interest that will overshadow the obvious low budget nature of the games.
Nah, I'll stick to the originals.:smug:

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
What was that? Baldurs Gate 3? I don't think so. It looks definitly like a toned down Divinity Clone. I don't get the feeling of exploration the originals had, because I can zoom and rotate the fuck out of the map. Also, where are the dungeons? Underdark, you fall down a hole and then yeaaaaah, a cave with luminous mushrooms. Awesome. Never done before.

This looks okay but not like Baldurs Gate.

People dislike dialogue PoV- they change it. People dislike initiative- they change it. Codexians dislike boot throw as bonus action- they change it. People dislike UI- they change it.

Glad Larian listens to the community, even after growing to such a giant size.

Elex

Arbiter
Dragons, in the hands of a competent DM, are terrifying in tabletop. A humble level-appropriate dragon can absolutely demolish an overconfident party simply by keeping to the air, strafing the party whenever its breath recharges, and using its spells and abilities intelligently. It is unfortunate that there's no way to translate this to a pc game, and dragons are barely mobile brutes.
Because if you play smart monster like Generally a DM play the BBEG people will scream in frusttation.

you notice that attitude in many post here.
Stuff like “magic is useless in 5e not like older edition”

they consider the “evil mage” only a guy with 120 HP and 17 AC that will die in a round in the small room where they think he will wait the party.

while instead the “evil mage” will never face directly the party because the DM is going to play him like a 20+ int character.

the evil mage will not going to cast a spell and deal pointless 30 damage aoe to the party, but it’s going to blow up the bridge with the same spell while the party is traversing a river and similar stuff, because he is evil and have 20+ int and the party should try to mantain a low profile and sabotage evil mage plan before he manage to notice them.

this is why low level d&d is better, because at some point character have powers and capacity similar to the evil mage, and can counter fast and easily the bad guy.

At high level spellcasters will be capable of do what they want and the DM can’t stop them unless he force some raiload.

in pc games caster are always castrated and nerfed, not in damage, but in approach and problem solving: the same for the bad guy, he can’t be a real menace to the party only a scripted evil guy.

Elex

Arbiter
There's going to be a timer on the tadpole quest, otherwise they wouldn't be reminding you of that one-week limit all the time. This doesn't mean, however, that there are going to be other time limits, or even that the consequence of missing the deadline is a game over.
Raphael can be the timer, if you don’t do others stuff e force his “help”

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
in pc games caster are always castrated and nerfed, not in damage, but in approach and problem solving: the same for the bad guy, he can’t be a real menace to the party only a scripted evil guy.

A lot of times they are castred even on damaging capabilities...

Considering that Pathfinder is just a D&D spin-off, claiming that a D&D game "stole" something from a Pathfinder game is very ironic.

Paizo is far less awful than WoTC. And we only have Pathfinder thanks to the atrocious wow clone 4e.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom