Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Taking just the best class, which of these games has deepest and best combat and is overall best?

Taking just the best class, which of these games has deepest and best combat and is overall best?

• Diablo 2

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • Diablo 3

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Torchlight 2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Titan Quest

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Van Helsing

• Victor Vran

• Path of Exile

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Sacred

• Sacred 2

• Grim Dawn

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Diablo 1

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
?

Sentinel

Arcane
Deepest =/= Best
Diablo 3 has arguably the best feeling combat out of any game on the list, but it's not deep at all.
That said, no game in this genre has good (or deep) combat. All the deep elements feed into the combat, but exist outside of it.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
All depends on what you want. Like the dude above said, Diablo III feels good to play, especially the early game, when Path of Exile is still kinda boring. One is a game for people who spend thousands of hours replaying the end game, the other is for casual Blizzard players...

Is kinda like going "ARMA x Fortnite, which has best combat?"

All depends on what you want. Like the dude above said, Diablo III feels good to play, especially the early game, when Path of Exile is still kinda boring. One is a game for people who spend thousands of hours replaying the end game, the other is for casual Blizzard players...

how do you make it end game in Path of Exile? I have tried a few times, I always quit like 2/3 the way into the 2nd act, its just boring. For some reason Grim Dawn is much more enjoyable, not sure why.

Norfleet

The endgame in Path of Exile is selling all your shit to Chinese gold merchants and quitting.

deama

Prophet

how do you make it end game in Path of Exile? I have tried a few times, I always quit like 2/3 the way into the 2nd act, its just boring. For some reason Grim Dawn is much more enjoyable, not sure why.
It's boring in the beginning because of the limited customisability you have, as well as having only basic gear that just give boring + passive crap, later on you can get unique gear that can change playstyles in addition to having many more points to spend on passive tree, and in addition to unlocking the ascension tree which can add even more.

The trick is to wait for an interesting league and start on that one, after the league ends, your character and your stuff will be moved over to the main server and you'll be able to continue the game normally.
One of the leagues they had prior was where you'd get a monster's buffs for like 30-60 seconds after you killed it; you could end up stacking them and get really strong/fast early on in the game, allowing you to quickly go through the early game, or at least make it more enjoyable.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Path of Exile tree is awesome, but even after playing it for a few days I was just running around pressing a few buttons and everything explodes :( I get that Diablo 3 is swanky, but I was hoping for something challenging and a bit interesting. Like maybe playing as a Necro in D2 and summoning undead armies. Or in Sacred I remember once you got strong you could grab 100 enemies and lead them into huge ice blasts which was tricky because one mistake and you die.

But I have barely played any of these games, I really wanna try to play one for a long time. I played Grim Dawn for about 40 minutes and figured I would be better sticking to my favorite moba. But I'll try it again.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I would say Diablo 3 has the best combat and is quite frankly the best game of the type, top down hack n slash action rpg. It is not deep, but it is the best in terms of gameplay satisfaction. Diablo clones aren't meant to be deep, anyway, depth is overrated. They are essentially arcade games. So Diablo 3 is the best to play in my opinion.

Still, i voted Path of Exile in the poll, because you asked for deep. Diablo 3 is not deep, you just visit a diablo builds site and grind for gear to build your meta build. It is just grinding, that's about it. But it is a fun timewaster.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Is POE only deep because of the tree? I loved that tree but the combat itself seemed way too simple and easy :/ Maybe I should just play em all :P

Wow D2 winning by a lot, I should try that.

Gregz

Arcane
Is POE only deep because of the tree? I loved that tree but the combat itself seemed way too simple and easy :/ Maybe I should just play em all :P

Complexity doesn't signify anything. A game is good if it's fun. I voted Diablo II and it's not even close.

“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.” -Albert Einstein

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Diablo II (Lord of Destruction) still hasn't been topped in the world of isometric hack n slash games.

After all these years the action still feels incredibly crisp for a 2.5D game. And when you take a slower pace and play it more like the original Diablo, you really begin appreciating the intricate atmosphere and art. Fantastic itemization too, distinct character design, gorgeous levels.

Incendax

Augur
Diablo III feels the best.
Path of Exile is the deepest
Grim Dawn is a good middle ground.
Diablo II is the most memorable.

Last edited:

rado907

Savant
PoE & D2.
Honorable mention Grim Dawn.
Was kinda cool Sacred 1.

Last edited:

Norfleet

Classless system > Class-based system
I see it as more a matter of implementation. A classless system can make for interesting possible build directions, but it can also just be so classless it could be a Marxist utopia.

deama

Prophet

The difficulty ramps up at around lvl 60-80, that's when I noticed that the game starts to challenge your build, you'll have to start to optimize your build at that point if you're not following any guides. After that point it just continues difficulty as you progress to higher tier maps, and eventually there's gonna be plenty of 1-shot crap everywhere.

Yeah I remember the game being pretty easy in the beginning unless you had a crap build.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Early game Path of Exile is best part of the game. Lots of retarded fags in this thread.

Generic-Giant-Spider

D2.

You can actually tell what the fuck is happening still.

After that, I'd go Grim Dawn. It may not be some sort of visual spectacle, but it gets the job done well enough. Always thought D3 was corny as shit with the excessive ragdolling and how enemies fly 90 feet away, real dumb and gay.

Path of Exile at higher levels looks like something you'd have to be positively autistic to enjoy. When I gave the game a few shots in the past I'd look up some builds that were meta and if you like all that eyeraping nonsense you probably loudly hum the TMNT theme song on public transportation while rocking back and forth nervously.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom