Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Commandos-Like Desperados III from Mimimi Productions (Shadow Tactics devs) - now with Money for the Vultures DLC

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Buahahaha just met me black saviour witch that uses real magic and it is broken op.....buahahah ok time to move on to the next game.

All of the characters are OP and the witch is the only one that can carry that because it's explained by magic, the other characters are completely unbelievable as the mass murderers you get to play as. Her chatter is also the least annoying out of all of them.
Yeah,a guy that could throw a knife,a guy that could use a sniper and guy that could set a trap and use the ancient magical skill of whistling is clearly unbelievable compared to a niggress that could mind control and kill people without touching them by connecting them to another one.

PS:You are a fucking retard!

randir14

Augur
I beat it last night and I don't think it's as good as Shadow Tactics in some ways. It's too puzzle-like with enemies set up so that you're almost forced to use specific strategies that the developers intended you to use. Shadow Tactics allowed for more player freedom. Also kind of lame how some of the characters are reskins of ST counterparts instead of having their original skills, like Cooper's pocket watch and Kate's playing cards.

oldbonebrown

Arcane
Buahahaha just met me black saviour witch that uses real magic and it is broken op.....buahahah ok time to move on to the next game.

All of the characters are OP and the witch is the only one that can carry that because it's explained by magic, the other characters are completely unbelievable as the mass murderers you get to play as. Her chatter is also the least annoying out of all of them.
Yeah,a guy that could throw a knife,a guy that could use a sniper and guy that could set a trap and use the ancient magical skill of whistling is clearly unbelievable compared to a niggress that could mind control and kill people without touching them by connecting them to another one.

Yes, I accept nigger mind-magic as a better justification for what your character is able to do than what the rest of your gang gets.
With how easily you can find ways to clean house using one or the other character, they all come across as really cheap window-dressing, so I don't believe any of them, they are a weak excuses to have pawns in an otherwise decently made game.
Believability is out of the window, but still the game keeps insisting on this dumb cowboy world being some kind of serious setting, with its going-nowhere plot that wants to take up more room than it deserves. Almost everything that is said is mildly irritating, from cutscenes to character action lines. It's all fine enough because you get to play through enjoyable puzzles, but I don't buy any of this shit writing for a second - and the witch does not ask me to give a shit, because Voodoo. She is too talkative for what she has got to say, like all of them are, but her call-outs are not quite as grating as the others. Goddamnfuck bianca

Do you like Hector, Dumbfuck? I find that I rarely ever use his trap that he keeps talking about, it only slows him down in running through enemies. Yes, maybe the picture of a wildman luring foes over by whistling is i decent, but when he does it over and over again in succession it really seems paper-thin. And I don't want the character there to begin with, because No you do not like Hector, dumbfuck.
Kate can mop up a crowd by leading man by man around the corner, never to be seen again. Her flagrant appearance and personality makes the game look so dumb when the enemies don't notice anything of her shenanigans. I like playing pretty ladies, but her cowgirl schtick does nothing for me.
Cooper can really do it all, huh? A cowboy adventurer - of course he can climb, of course he can swim, of course he tricks people by tossing coins, of course he can throw a knife, of course he can sneak, and of course he sucks cock behind the bar-counter. Do you care for a word that comes out his faggot mouth? Do you care about Mr Tightpants dad or his dealings with DeVitt? Oh, he gets to shoot two people at the same time as his mouth is full of cock? I thought this was a tactical stealth game, but I suppose he has training murdering witnesses... Cool guy! They should make a movie about this staring Owen Wilson in the role!
The sniper is mostly inoffensive, though the pace set by his team lets him too go on an absolute murder spree, he so far seems the least OP character to me. Yeah, maybe that seasoned pro really can fire a sniper. But though the justification might be better with him, he is still a really boring guy.

A voodoo witch using her mind tricks to do unbelievable feats of stealth assassination? Sure, whatever. Oh, she cuts herself when she possesses others? Cool, I guess...
She is also the only one which does not evoke negative comparisons with the Shadow Tactics characters for me. I mean Cooper is clearly Hayato with added guns, Hector is a stronger Mugen, Kate is pimped up Aiko, and McCoy a more efficient Takuma. The ninja theme in Shadow Tactics captured its characters much better!
The theme is not in line with the gameplay!
This should have been a Vampire Hunter D game!

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Yes, I accept nigger mind-magic as a better justification for what your character is able to do than what the rest of your gang gets.
With how easily you can find ways to clean house using one or the other character, they all come across as really cheap window-dressing, so I don't believe any of them, they are a weak excuses to have pawns in an otherwise decently made game.
Believability is out of the window, but still the game keeps insisting on this dumb cowboy world being some kind of serious setting, with its going-nowhere plot that wants to take up more room than it deserves. Almost everything that is said is mildly irritating, from cutscenes to character action lines. It's all fine enough because you get to play through enjoyable puzzles, but I don't buy any of this shit writing for a second - and the witch does not ask me to give a shit, because Voodoo. She is too talkative for what she has got to say, like all of them are, but her call-outs are not quite as grating as the others. Goddamnfuck bianca

Do you like Hector, Dumbfuck? I find that I rarely ever use his trap that he keeps talking about, it only slows him down in running through enemies. Yes, maybe the picture of a wildman luring foes over by whistling is i decent, but when he does it over and over again in succession it really seems paper-thin. And I don't want the character there to begin with, because No you do not like Hector, dumbfuck.
Kate can mop up a crowd by leading man by man around the corner, never to be seen again. Her flagrant appearance and personality makes the game look so dumb when the enemies don't notice anything of her shenanigans. I like playing pretty ladies, but her cowgirl schtick does nothing for me.
Cooper can really do it all, huh? A cowboy adventurer - of course he can climb, of course he can swim, of course he tricks people by tossing coins, of course he can throw a knife, of course he can sneak, and of course he sucks cock behind the bar-counter. Do you care for a word that comes out his faggot mouth? Do you care about Mr Tightpants dad or his dealings with DeVitt? Oh, he gets to shoot two people at the same time as his mouth is full of cock? I thought this was a tactical stealth game, but I suppose he has training murdering witnesses... Cool guy! They should make a movie about this staring Owen Wilson in the role!
The sniper is mostly inoffensive, though the pace set by his team lets him too go on an absolute murder spree, he so far seems the least OP character to me. Yeah, maybe that seasoned pro really can fire a sniper. But though the justification might be better with him, he is still a really boring guy.

A voodoo witch using her mind tricks to do unbelievable feats of stealth assassination? Sure, whatever. Oh, she cuts herself when she possesses others? Cool, I guess...
She is also the only one which does not evoke negative comparisons with the Shadow Tactics characters for me. I mean Cooper is clearly Hayato with added guns, Hector is a stronger Mugen, Kate is pimped up Aiko, and McCoy a more efficient Takuma. The ninja theme in Shadow Tactics captured its characters much better!
The theme is not in line with the gameplay!
This should have been a Vampire Hunter D game!
:hmmm:
Ahh it is a commandos like game,there is no difference with any other such game in that aspect. I could use only the diver and his throwing knifes in commandos to clear the whole game. The doctor could disguise himself and command soldiers to get killed by the commando or the diver. That was my general problem with the game,the game loop is the same as it was 20 years ago with zero change. There are 5ish archetypes and that is it. Generally you have a main character that is most useful to clear most part of the level but you will need the skills of the rest to do in different situations.

A negro witch with actual magic is game breaking for a game set in a semi historical setting,a guy knifing people is not. It goes against the theme of the game lol. I don't remember reading about guys getting decapitated by inviable force because they got connected to another guy that got decapitated by an axe!

oldbonebrown

Arcane
I don't take anything going on seriously enough that a witch stands out. The parts that tries to pretend they're serious irks me more.

"historical setting" it's all garbage

Last edited:

rado907

Savant
Long-time Commandos fan, enjoyed Shadow Tactics. My favorites in the genre are Robin Hood, Desperados 1 & Commandos 2.

D3 is a lot of fun in terms of gameplay and graphics, but weak in terms of story, character development, immersion and innovation.

The gameplay is pure Commandos - vision cones, knives & distractions. It's fun. The missions offer challenges and varied settings. The art & level design are good but short of spectacular so far (Act I). Badges and challenges provide difficulty and replayability.

The plot is vague and boring. Strong revenge theme.

D3's characters are a rip off of the SD characters who ripped off the D1 characters. They lack personality and behave like a gang of psychotic mass-murdering thugs.

Game design choices harm the immersion. For some reason, Cooper's six-shooters can only shoot once every few seconds. The man-eating shrubs return.

The toolset does not go far beyond C1's.

8/10 for me, it's a fun game. Hope for a commandos-like in a fantasy setting. Also hope the devs pick up genre ideas from Hitman & Dishonored - in particular stealth rating, lethality rating & rpg elements. All 3 are cheap but cool. Also hope for some genre-specific innovations. There is plenty that could be done.

Looking forward to finishing this one; was worth the pre-order. Feels like a good-not-great title tho.

overtenemy

Augur
Haven't read the entirety of the thread, but can someone explain why they opted not to include Sanchez only to have a different huge ass Mexican guy? Not having much of the cast return is making me not want to buy it.

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Haven't read the entirety of the thread, but can someone explain why they opted not to include Sanchez only to have a different huge ass Mexican guy? Not having much of the cast return is making me not want to buy it.
I assume it's because it's a prequel. Cooper didn't meet Sanchez or Mia until D1, and Sam and McCoy first met in D1 so they had to pick just one of them.

oldbonebrown

Arcane
Really starting to enjoy this game quite a bit after playing it some more.
When I got to DeVitt Goldmine I immediately liked it the best, I really tore through that level with a lot more action than previous ones, but then Las Pierdas topped even that. Hector & Kate is a good gameplay combo, the level soundtrack is also great for stealth action, and a lot of care seems to have been put into leaving very specific little openings for you in viewcones.
It makes me create more of these little plans
SzQbznV.jpg

mn0x7SY.jpg

Maybe I've been playing it wrong all along? A problem then is that most levels are not hard enough, and all the challenges are attainable in easymode? I've started playing quite exploitative with

Last edited:

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I've played through couple of the first levels, but I'm not sure if I should bother playing further. As someone who has finished Commandos 2 several times this feels like a severely dumbed down cheapo version.

- Your characters don't have inventories.
- You can't go through windows.
- You can't open doors without entering.
- Every character seems to have only a couple of gimmicky skills that you're supposed to spam endlessly to win.
- All the reviewers praise the huge levels, but Commandos 2 also had absolutely Huuuge levels. You also could enter almost every building you saw on any given map, which doesn't seem to be the case here.
- The game doesn't keep track of how many times I've made a non-lethal takedown or how many times I've been detected.
- So far I've not encountered any other hiding spots than bushes and small houses. In Commandos 2 you could hide under beds or in swarms of fish for God's sake.
- Missions seem uninspired - they don't seem to have multiple different phases with cool cutscenes, quest items (like the Enigma machine), hidden secret Bonus items or any of the other stuff Commandos 2 had.
- You can't climb utility poles or phone lines, use grappling hook and rope to limb inside windows, drive vehicles, equip enemy uniforms...
- Listing all the missing features is making me depressed, so I quit for now.

Don't get me wrong, I still think this is a pretty decent game. The AI is superior to Commandos 2, but that's not nearly enough! Everything should be improved! But what can you expect from a multiplatform title aimed at ADHD cow clicker audience.

It's so fucking depressing how they still can't top a game that was made 20 years ago.

Last edited:

oldbonebrown

Arcane
- Every character seems to have only a couple of gimmicky skills that you're supposed to spam endlessly to win.
Yes, it's also important to crouch-spam when walking in half-shadows and quicksave scumming as effectively as possible. BANG BANG BANG.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I've played through couple of the first levels, but I'm not sure if I should bother playing forward. As someone who has finished Commandos 2 several times this feels like a severely dumbed down cheapo version.

- All the reviewers praise the huge levels, but Commandos 2 also had absolutely Huuuge levels. You also could enter almost every building you saw on any given map, with doesn't seem to be the case here.
- The game doesn't keep track of how many times I've made a non-lethal takedown or how many times I've been detected.
- So far I've not encountered any other hiding spots than bushes and small houses. In Commandos 2 you could hide under beds or in swarms of fish for God's sake.
- Missions seem uninspired - they don't seem to have multiple different phases with cool cutscenes, quest items (like the Enigma machine), hidden secret Bonus items or any of the other stuff Commandos 2 had.
- You can't climb utility poles or phone lines, use grappling hook and rope to limb inside windows, drive vehicles, equip enemy uniforms...

Don't get me wrong, I still think this is a pretty decent game. The AI is superior to Commandos 2, but that's not nearly enough! Everything should be improved! But what can you expect from a multiplatform title aimed at ADHD cow clicker audience.

It's so fucking depressing how they still can't top a game that was made 20 years ago.
Desperados III - A game which is not Commandos 2 - available now on Steam and GOG :M

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
I've played through couple of the first levels, but I'm not sure if I should bother playing forward. As someone who has finished Commandos 2 several times this feels like a severely dumbed down cheapo version.

- All the reviewers praise the huge levels, but Commandos 2 also had absolutely Huuuge levels. You also could enter almost every building you saw on any given map, with doesn't seem to be the case here.

You should probably kill yourself if you're still waiting for a game to top Commandos 2.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Mechanics wise, Commandos 2 is the best, objectively. The setting however, the story, the characters, can suck a dick.

Lemming42

Arcane
I've played through couple of the first levels, but I'm not sure if I should bother playing further. As someone who has finished Commandos 2 several times this feels like a severely dumbed down cheapo version.

This is all true of Desperados 1 as well, which is obviously the game that Desperados 3 is most trying to emulate. It's a different experience to Commandos for sure.

overly excitable young man

So it's like good or smth?
I really love shadow tactics! Better, worse?

Kitchen Utensil

Slightly worse imo, but others like it slightly better.
If you enjoyed Shadow Tactics, you should enjoy this one.

edit: meh

Kinda surprised that he likes it.

Last edited by a moderator:

sser

Arcane
Developer
It's definitely every bit of Desperados. I'm enjoying it thus far. Kinda curious to see if they do the Robin Hood game next.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom