Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random thoughts on whatever JRPG you're currently playing?

Removal

Scholar
Caligula Effect is the very definition of interesting ideas with terrible execution. While on paper, the combat system seems pretty cool, sorta like Grandia II's ATB design where you can disrupt enemy attacks, counter them and set up combos, they never really force you to use it due to ease of encounters and 99% of encounters being trash you clean out in a minute or so. The chaff encounters are everywhere as well, dungeons are full of them sadly. The only time I had to actually think about the time units and setting up combos was when you fight enemies 10+ levels above your party.
Supposedly the story is pretty decent, but I'm not suffering through meh gameplay for it.

Vorark

Erudite
Whew, finished Tales of Berseria after almost 35 hours clocked in.

Enjoyed it in spite of the terrible button mash combat and dull copy-pasted areas/dungeons. The plot gave off these Berserk vibes at the start but eventually spun the revenge motif into a different direction, which culminated in one of the best and most emotional scenes in the game.

As for the characters, Velvet was a pretty good lead although not as ruthless as I expected her to be. Magilou was equal parts hilarious and cynical, playing off Velvet's brooding personality; Laphicet had a nice dynamic with the protagonist, a pleasant surprise that went beyond annoying token kid character. The others were mostly forgettable.

Great ending too, more bitter than sweet.

:3/5: - Gameplay drags it down too much. If you're interested, watch a let's play or hope for an animu adaptation.

Last edited:

Casual Hero

Augur
Is there a Dragon Quest series thread? I just got to Chapter 5 in Dragon Warrior 4 (NES), so that means I get to deal with the AI combat. So far so good, but I don't have a full party yet, so I can imagine it might get annoying not being able to select actions for each person.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Is there a Dragon Quest series thread? I just got to Chapter 5 in Dragon Warrior 4 (NES), so that means I get to deal with the AI combat. So far so good, but I don't have a full party yet, so I can imagine it might get annoying not being able to select actions for each person.
A couple:
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/dragon-quest.92179/
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-dragon-quest-thread.89863/page-13
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/dragon-quest-xi.120957/

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Found Infinite Undiscovery for $4 at Gamestop. I remember playing it when it came out but I couldn't remember anything about it...

.... it sucks. Clunky-ass button mash combat with none of the technical quality of other Tri Ace games. Some interesting ideas but overall feels rushed or unfinished.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ah, Infinite Undiscovery. I beat it, despite finding it to be shit. When I fought the final boss, I kept dying because of stupid team AI. I ended up controlling the healer and won. It turns out that she barely cast any healing spells, so I just spammed those until the boss went down.

Shit combat, shit graphics, shit story, shit characters and shit voice acting.

It did provide us with a legendary dance scene, I'll give it that.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Turns out there's an official port of The World Ends with You for Android. Has anyone tried it? Is it actually the full version of the DS game released back in 2007? Google play states it contains in-app purchases, and the price is pretty cheap, so I'm a bit suspicious.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Turns out there's an official port of The World Ends with You for Android. Has anyone tried it? Is it actually the full version of the DS game released back in 2007? Google play states it contains in-app purchases, and the price is pretty cheap.

TWEWY is the weirdest thing since to my knowledge it has heavily altered gameplay on DS, Switch and Android. Mobile is fine tho, not having two screens is annoying and leads to a very different combat feeling but it is a competent port apart from that.
Switch version is based on mobile version.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
After clocking 45hr in a pretty forgettable playthrough, I've beaten Monster Hunter Stories.

It has a few decent ideas though, they tried to translate some core aspects of MH combat mechanics into a turn based system(you can topple monsters, enrage them,etc.), however, these were cemented over very oversimplified premises, because MHstories is basically targeted towards children rather than Its audience from the core games:

It conveys rock paper scissor gameplay with a system of three attack types, where each monster has a fixed attack bias which means their regular move is gonna be often a preferred attack type(since you don't have control over regular attack moves, only skills). So pretty much if you gain the upper hand countering your foe's moves, you earn skill points and snowball the encounter spamming whatever shit you have at disposal.

For the game's main campaign, they recycled gore magala's frenzy virus as plot device, but without any trace or mention of the monster. Content is heavily gated within story's progression, as many generic jrpgs do.

Needless to say the storytelling is trite: you roam around being an errand guy until plot demands the frenzy to rear its ugly head; after you finally deal with it, your sidekick lectures everyone about how powerful are the bonds of friendship... Every time.

It has a LOT of exposure through cutscenes, just as any of the latest pokemon games, however, unlike the latter, you are free to skip these whenever you like .

Optional dungeons are procedurally generated, often devoid of anything interesting, except when the game decides to put a Deviljho in.

At the very least, navigating across the map with monsters exploration skills is more amusing than in Pokémon.If only could have been seamless instead of going full retard with content gating.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Turns out there's an official port of The World Ends with You for Android. Has anyone tried it? Is it actually the full version of the DS game released back in 2007? Google play states it contains in-app purchases, and the price is pretty cheap, so I'm a bit suspicious.

Bit a late but I played my first time on mobile recently. I loved. But it's totally different from the DS version. You only controls Neku and there's few new musics.

It's solid version and i didn't felt like i lost much from ds. The game still has a amazing connection between narative and gameplay.

I liked so much TWEWY that just got the switch version to play again. Easily 10/10 game.

sser

Arcane
Developer
DQXI.

I play it on the toilet. Seems okay.

Also I had a fever dream after 1h of sleep where i confused my Switch for my alarm-ringing phone. So I moved the Switch around looking for the on button over and over, then finally turned it on and went through some cutscene thinking if I just got through it the alarm would turn off. Not even joking, and the cutscene was explaining some game mechanic and now I have no idea what it was :lol:

volklore

Arcane
Playing Xenogears atm, didn't make it too far yet (going to infiltrate the aveh capital city) but from what i have played I kinda wished there would be less gear-centric sessions. I like on-foot combat a lot more so it kind of annoys me to have to take care of gears upgrade (especially since they seem to really make a huge difference) but we will see how it goes. Story wise it's slow for now but I am sure the story will pick up soon.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Played some Metal Max 3, recently translated https://metaldreamers.redhook.duckdns.org/metal-max-3-english-translation/

I made it halfway through Metal Saga before losing my saves in a HDD failure, been meaning to go back to it but now this comes out. Sprite graphics are pretty nice and the world is pretty detailed. Seems to have more plot than Metal Saga though you can still end the game early by just running off with some girl instead of following the story. Combat is not balanced or challenging so far but I guess we'll see.

Playing Xenogears, I kinda wished there would be less gear-centric sessions.

I wish there would be less dragons in that game called Dragon Age, you know.

Anyway, Xenogears story is really that good, after playing it, almost every other game feels empty storywise.

Last edited:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Been having more fun with Metal Max 3. It's like a JRPG Fallout.

-like Metal Saga you get a party of 4 but you're required to take a dog. The other two can be any of six classes and they're all pretty decent. Soldiers get the best weapons but are bad in vehicles, Mechanics can repair and Nurses can restore health, but you have to sacrifice some offense to take both. Artists get a little bit of everything and Wrestlers don't need weapons.

-There are 12 vehicles total but they can all be upgraded extensively, anything can be used in the endgame if you set it up right. The chassis upgrades are permanent so it pays to think ahead, and they're hella expensive. You can also upgrade each individual part on a tank so money never stops being useful. They added motorcycles which allow the rider to use their handheld weapons and split damage between the bike and the rider. So many party comp options.

-Game is very open with many different places to go, dungeons are pretty involved with more than just walking down a corridor and fighting enemies. I've been stuck on a few different areas but I keep discovering new quests and options for progress.

-There's a basic faction system with reputations but it's mostly grindy, you can get a job at one base doing guard work but the quests just repeat endlessly. Cool for a JRPG but not on the level of a MCA game.

Falksi

Arcane
Fuckinghell, the difference it makes to Dragon Quest 11 to have the music turned off is incredible. Really starting to get into it & enjoy it now that my ears aren't bleeding from that shite.

Lincolnberry

Educated
Fuckinghell, the difference it makes to Dragon Quest 11 to have the music turned off is incredible. Really starting to get into it & enjoy it now that my ears aren't bleeding from that shite.

Unfortunately it's definitely one of the weaker DQ music efforts, even with the orchestral mod. A real shame. I hear you can change the overworld theme in the switch version to DQ8, which would probably increase my enjoyment a lot.

Lincolnberry

Educated
Started Ys 8. First Ys game for me. I'm playing on steam but the fact it was originally developed for handheld does show a bit.

That said, I've really enjoyed it so far. Combat is fun and snappy, even if I feel like I end up button mashing a bit. Playing on Hard for the first go and I clearly need to get better at the perfect dodge and perfect block but this difficulty feels about right at least thru the first quarter of the game or so (my estimate).

Story hasn't really mattered to date but I like a lot of the ancillary things they do - build the village which introduces new mechanics over time, the crafting makes sense and i'm not collecting a ton of random useless stuff (everything has a purpose). Even the fishing is quick and fun.

I guess that's how I'd sum it up - simple (if fairly difficult), and fun. That kind of pervades the design philosophy so far. I'm a fan for sure.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Have been playing mostly console RPGs over the last couple of weeks:

Wizardry: Dimguil (PSX)
Fine game that takes the mechanics of Wizardry V and adds some of the extra classes and races from Wizardry VI. It's got a strange atmosphere as everything is your typical kings and knights stuff, but the dungeon itself is more like some kind of giant Aztec temple, while the monsters are disturbing horrors but the music is cheery and wouldn't seem out of place in an Indiana Jones movie.

My current party is a Fighter, Fighter, Priest, Thief, Mage, and Alchemist. I probably should have gone with two mages and then class changed one each to psionicist and alchemist to get all the spells, but oh well.

It's balanced well so far, but enemies tend to be damage sponges, even though I have my entire front row dual wielding (2x attacks each per round). Magic seems pretty useless as enemies tend to have high magic resistance.

Breath of Fire (SFC)
This can be challenging early on, but a few hours in and you are unstoppable. If you take the time to go back and explore previously inaccessible areas you find incredibly powerful equipment that makes the game a cakewalk.

The story is dull and the dialog is godawful. On the other hand, it has actual mazes that are slightly more complicated/larger than your typical 16-bit console RPG dungeons. I thought that being able to choose who to take into your party would add some depth, but several of the characters are so weak that you'd be a fool to take them over more powerful characters.

Nice graphics though.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Still enjoying Metal Max 3. Every time I think I'm stuck behind a boss or quest I realize I just haven't explored enough. I found a mountain pass leading to the next region to the north and from there I found a bridge over the main river to the west. Still have more to explore and I'm not even halfway through the game.

I like how the towns are set up, they have a lot of detail and hidden goodies to find, and a good variety of shops and services. Luckily there is a fast travel item you can equip on a tank. It's a good collection of post-apoc tropes and they clearly tried to give every town some unique flavor or history.

-Wara - Just an armed farming complex, makes sense given the setting, farms would be quite valuable. The locals are rivals of the Shelter faction and give you a quest to deliver mutant killer watermelons, this gives you a quest at the Shelter to kill the watermelons, so you can repeat the cycle endlessly. Doesn't seem to lead to anything else though.

-Shelter - A pre-war bunker, the owner lives in an artificial habitat at the bottom, the surface is a shanty slum. You take an early story mission here that gets botched, returning causes you to be thrown in prison, leading to an escape through a side-dungeon of access tunnels through the bunker. Later you can become a guard and do various small missions, doesn't seem to lead anywhere but I maxed out my faction rep with them.

-Big Cap - Nothing special about this place but it's an old satellite dish complex, the residents use the dish to collect rainwater which I thought was a neat touch.

-Rusty Maiden - A beached tanker, home to the Happy Cult. There's a way to deal with the cult but I have to do more quests, right now stuck on something the leader wants from the port town. I bought the series classic Red Wolf tank here for 30k after saving up multiple bounties.

-Hohohole - An old strip mine, tricky to navigate with tanks. Its a small maze of cranes and gondolas, some hidden tunnels and secrets to uncover. At the bottom was a new tank to dig out, actually a Tunguska AA gun, haven't found much use for it so far so I'm using it for extra cargo.

-Porto Mori - A seaport with people living in the old warehouses and cargo containers. The biggest town I've been to so far and home to the game's sewer level, running all over the city. Amusingly every tank-equipment vendor is pulled into the sewer by a tentacle monster on arrival, so if I want access to new gear I have to beat it. I tried once and it kicked my ass pretty bad so I have to wait for now.

-Evilla - Actually a dungeon, the north part of the map is covered in a forest, I found a bounty boss and beat it, this research building was on the other side. The ground floor encounter rate was insane, every couple of steps, but once I had fought enough battles the game told me all the enemies had been defeated and that was it. The complex is full of hostile robots but as I clear them out the floors become safe and a faction of mechanics moves in. They want me to clear out the basement levels but I ran into a boss that was too hard on foot, I think I need to navigate my tanks around to it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom