Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 1.5: Resurrection - fanmade Fallout game by Czechs

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Gauss/pulse rifles allow you to curbstomp entire oil-rig without much fuss

And that's why I don't like guns much. Was sick of it after 2-3 playthrough of Fallout1.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
That's why I don't like melee much. Gauss/pulse rifles allow you to curbstomp entire oil-rig without much fuss. In Resurrection it's even worse because of nerfed armor and scarcity of stims.

I don't use energy weapons much, not only it makes the game too easy but i dislike their sound effects and gore crits.

It's way more fun to explode things with a gatling, a rocket launcher or a sniper rifle.

Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
>have 87 HP and combat armour
>join caravan to Albuquerque
>Ghoul in Power Armour does 122 damage at long range with a minigun, no crit
'K

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Yes, combat is a bit over the top sometimes but at least, with caravans, you get some meatbags.

Also, this is the first fallout 1/2 module where sequence is important.

Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
In some fights - especially those between two large groups - I have to use my 14 sequence (is that high?) to run behind a corner first thing, otherwise I get hit by 4+ enemies at once as they mostly target me for whatever reason.
I don't understand the sequence mechanics, even though I am usually 1st to move, everyone else then gets two turns before my next one, which is an obnoxious combination with getting aimed by most enemies.

just did the imperial shodown siding with Aran - the first fight inside the gate I had to run around a corner or take two rounds of 4+ shots each, then play it normally once around the corner. In the second fight i had to reload until I killed Elisa on the first round, otherwise I'd face the same issue of most enemies shooting at me.
Glorious Fallout/Underrail combat where it's often about instagibs.

Last edited:

urmom

Learned
How many hours did it take you guys to finish the game? Is it a short game, or does it go on forever and ever?

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Cool. Resurrection just killed two my saves in Albuquerque, and no way I replay it from the start - as we know, the most tedious parts are in the beginning, and Resurrection adds even more tediousness with its rebalance of stuff. And it's especially frustrating to repeat the stuff you already done after killed savegames. I guess my playthrough list of Resurrection will stop at 1.5 runs for the time being.

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
Cool. Resurrection just killed two my saves in Albuquerque, and no way I replay it from the start - as we know, the most tedious parts are in the beginning, and Resurrection adds even more tediousness with its rebalance of stuff. And it's especially frustrating to repeat the stuff you already done after killed savegames. I guess my playthrough list of Resurrection will stop at 1.5 runs for the time being.
can you elaborate on that? File corruption, softlock, unwinnable encounters?

Black Angel

Arcane
can you elaborate on that? File corruption, softlock, unwinnable encounters?
Save game - crash - unable to load corrupted file. First time took me by surprise, second time I saved over my second save because I'm retard.
Damn man, that sucks. If you've recovered from this tragedy, I suggest you do it like any proper RPG connoisseur: make multiple saves every time you want to talk to someone and before entering new areas. This way you might end up with hundreds of save points, but better safe than sorry.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
multiple saves
I usually do that, but in lite version: two or three saves, and I juggle them around when encountering some fork or potentially fucking up situation.

I hate to leave unfinished business, so yeah, I restarted with some adjustments to my build. Game still crashes while saving at Albuquerque, but I leave this conundrum for later.

Question is, what to do with early game tedium? As you start, yer character is useless: no money, ammo, meds, weapons, armor, skills. F1 has you starting with pistol and you can find some useful loot at Vault 15. F2 beginning is slow as hell, but this is avoidable with early rush to New Reno, where it's possible to steal yourself some good stuff. F1.5 devs blocked similar ways: valuable loot is concealed in locked containers, and steal usefulness is limited; though I'm bored with investing in steal anyway.

There is a solution! Rush to Sedit: join caravans and reload until you are given manageable encounter - that is, when caravan guards are able to dispatch foes by themselves. You will get money and XP like you actually did anything!

First one: scorpions. They weak and guards waste them without any hiccup. Money and XP for free!

Second one: molerats. This are tougher and killed three out of five guards. These poor bastards bestowed their gifts of fine weapons and ammo on me and I killed couple of rats myself.

Third one: weird band of female raiders. I stood aside until everyone ran out of ammo and finished survivors without problems. Once again, only two guards survived, but this means even more gifts for me! 8 Desert Eagles, Rifle and SMG for myself, plus some less remarkable stuff. Now I can buy myself leather armor and go back to starting area prepared.

Things went on, but something went wrong and I ended with accidental massacre in Corath. I was given job to challenge Uncle to the ring, but his right-hand was very rude to me. Word by word, he attacked me, violating town's rules and then I killed all Uncle's men in self defense. By wicked laws of local crooked police I was the guilty part here, and so I was left with no choice but to slaughter entire Uncle's district and even some Nestor men. Temporarily, I left Corath, but if this people won't reconsider their attitude Corath will become a ghost town.

jac8awol

Arbiter
Cool. Just finished this yesterday. I usually quite sceptical about fanmade projects, but 1.5 really impressed me in some ways.

After my experience with AoD, I decided to start a tradition and make first runs totally blind, without googling anything at all. Because I didn't know if sadistic or not Czechs are in game design I started on normal/normal difficulty. Because I didn't know how scarce ammo will be I started with unarmed/melee build, with additional stealth.
This worked quite well, but while playing I remembered why I don't like melee builds. Damage output is great, but running up to people and constantly taking damage is quite annoying. Also, points spent in melee were just wasted for I used unarmed for 99% of time. My weapon progression was knuckles - spiked knuckles - power fist - mega power fist. I killed maybe five or six people with melee, no more. Killed one guy with a shotgun: bastard ran away into exit grid, I picked shotgun lying around and bursted him. Felt like Obi Van killing Grievous from prequels with blaster.

I like quest design in 1.5. There are so much forks for you usually presented with two mutually exclusive sides to work with and you should choose which one. Almost every major quest could be find inside such fork. Once inside, there's plenty of ways to finish the quest, even option to buy you way out if you lack needed skills. Anonym quest in Albuquerque is the highlight of the game. And paedophiles quest is some sick shit.

There were some challenging fights, but overall, game is not that hard. I usually play solo and I didn't find any serious obstacles during my run. Aran vs Elisa fight was annoying because Aran kept dying in first two turns: I disabled robots and hooked him on Psycho, but to no avail. Only several loads later RNG relented, he survived and Elisa died to power fist in the face.
Mutant Outpost was annoying too. With 5 speech there was no option but combat. Suicide, no less. But: if you start combat while sneaking, kill your opponent in one turn and end combat, no one aggroes on you - a proper stealth kill. I cleaned base outside this way (to kill mutie in two hits takes 4-5 reloads), rest were lured to the side and killed more conventional.
As soon as I got Slayer perk all challenge ended.
Rebirth base was a slog, but I cleared every floor.

I have issue with balance in 1.5, though. They nerfed armor! This doesn't make fights any harder, it makes them longer for you are forced to use stims every couple of turns and get high on psycho every fight. Psycho works magic on usual damage resistance, but useless against energy weapons.
And thing is, stims are hard to get buy. I had zero problems with loot: by late game I had several stashes with tens of thousands worth of loot around, but to sell it requires ultimate grind: sell what you can, wait for trader to restock, repeat. Very tedious. I was forced to leave Rebirth base two times to restock on stims. Some fix on traders would have been welcome.

Overall, good stuff. I really liked this heavily forked quest design and some moments were truly hilarious. Gotta play it again, this time with more pleasant ranged build.

That pedo quest was unexpected. Hit me like 'oh shit, this is post apocalyptic reality, son!' Super memorable, gritty, gotta respect them for that.

Alphons

Cipher
Game still crashes while saving at Albuquerque

Which district?
I've had problems with saving in Suburbs, Dead District and around MH base- save files were getting corrupted. So between quests I left town to save.

And then the problem magically fixed itself after I forgot and saved during the missing troopers Empire quest while I was in that basement.

That pedo quest was unexpected. Hit me like 'oh shit, this is post apocalyptic reality, son!' Super memorable, gritty, gotta respect them for that.

The most memorable thing was me going to him to restock on ammo after last Anonym quest (killing dwarf and his mercs). Already completed missing kid quest in Chuck's favour and accidentally provoked him to fuck me. He deals around 10 damage and my character died from anal rape.

ironmask

Arbiter
That pedo quest was a great twist. I don't know if they could get away with that if this wasn't an obscure mod.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
So, finished my second run today. All my previous points still stand, but some additions:

- not only they nerfed all armor, but they buffed all hostile NPCs. I don't remember vanilla guys being so tough.
- small NPCs inventory additions are neat. A lot of guys have stimpacks now and not afraid to use them. Kill them fast, or let them heal themselves.
- what the fuck with the enemy crits? I mean 80% of time I (or friendly NPCs) will be critted on the first turn. Once again Aran vs Elisa fight - he was critted by the first shot and spent the entire fight unconscious. Still survived though, but that strange. How much crit chance NPCs have in 1.5?
- guns are still OP. Even laser rifle, which is redundant in vanilla - here it hits like a train with crits.
- stealth is still super OP. How about wasting heavy ghoul patrol while receiving only one (!) hit - and this is the unavoidable first one?
- I liked ending slides. New Hope is dead, Rat hole dead, Corath dead, Lost Town dead, Hunters dead, Rebirth dead. Gloomy, and protagonist looks like a real agent of chaos.
- Savior is the lamest antagonist in the entire true Fallout universe. His motivations reminded me of Kerghan, but weaker. I "talked" him to self-destruction and it was very disappointing, he changes his shoes on the fly with no coherency whatsoever.
- quests are noice. Tried some other forks and found them very pleasant. Shame, but final part of Aran quest failed to trigger - I waited for several months, but no messages from him. Wasn't a problem the first time when I was working with Hunters and he F-offed me through SMS.

Back to pedo quest: in every other game Chuck would be an unimportant NPC. Waste him and gain good karma. In 1.5 Chuck is the best goddamn arms dealer in the game. So, dilemma: kill the perverted fuck, but deprive yourself of his trading qualities; or help him because you want to buy his stuff. This is truly remarkable, I liked it, brings a lot more consideration to the decision.

This game really amazes me in some ways: some parts of it look like they were written by certain habitues of this site with all the edginess or naivety; others look like some of the finest decisions I ever seen. Czechnology, no less.

Alphons

Cipher
Chuck is the best goddamn arms dealer lover in the game

Fixed

I liked ending slides

Replayed Resurrection 4 times already and each time got a different combination. The best endings are pretty hard to get and easy to fuck them up, for example
New Hope slowly fades away and quietly dies if you don't mention them to Crimson Caravan, but they'll die horribly if you haven't also killed BOTH Julian and Alexis

Savior is the lamest antagonist in the entire true Fallout universe. His motivations reminded me of Kerghan, but weaker. I "talked" him to self-destruction and it was very disappointing, he changes his shoes on the fly with no coherency whatsoever.

Agreed, Saviour was really weak, especially after socially infiltrating Rebirth base. Fuck that snitch Mimi, since second playthrough I'm always working for Senior Rodriguez.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Playing this after Nevada was a mistake.

Not only Resurrection is shorter and lacks any gameplay additions to differentiate itself from originals, it also looks much rougher and unrefined from the visual standpoint. Then you get to cities, which feel derivative of Fo1-2 - Rathole is basically The Den, Sedit is The Hub, Corath is Redding, Albuquerque is Vault-City, etc. Quests aren't as intricate as in Nevada, a lot of them can only be solved by killing a lot of people and we all know that Fo1-2 combat isn't all that great especially during mass shootouts.

Thankfully there are parts that Resurrection does better than both originals and Nevada. First of all - companions. Companions are pretty cool - they are better than ones in Fo 1-2, and design-wise reminiscent of Bioware and Obsidian party members, complete with quest-specific commentaries, random banter and personal quests. Power progression and difficulty curve is way better than in Nevada - the game isn't stingy and gives you plenty of useful stuff gradually as you explore the game.

It's not really a high bar to clear, but due to its scope Resurrection's main narrative handled better than in Nevada. Both games start with amnesia as a plot device, but in Resurrection your character gets to actually uncover his past during the main quest. Resurrection's main antagonist is pretty lame, but at least he and his faction have a presence in the game world, while Nevada's Collector of souls is just some guy no one gives a shit about.

Things i felt conflicting about:
- good/bad questlines where you can't Clint Eastwood your way by working for both factions. I understand that locking player out of alternative paths early increases game's replay value, but it's still clumsy. Also each town having two warring factions (Julian vs Alexa, Ghouls vs Mexicans, Imperial City vs Mutant hunters, Nestor vs Uncle) is kinda formulaic.
- edgy writing. Now, i like when the game has some dark and violent content, but Resurrection gave me an edge overdose. Every dialogue is full of copious swearing, almost every character is an asshole, . Suicide, cannibalism, organ harvesting, pedophilia, holy shit - this game has it all in abundance. Even your main character fucking offs himself at the end.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Power progression and difficulty curve is way better than in Nevada - the game isn't stingy and gives you plenty of useful stuff gradually as you explore the game.
Difficulty curve in 1.5 is quite simple for it's just two stages.

Stage 1, Soft - pre-Albuquerque. Guys wearing some leather armor and using usual light firearms and melee. Rifles, shotguns and SMGs are adequate to deal with any opposition, unarmed as well. Down one Psycho, tank damage, occasionally heal. Rarely some asshole with the flamethrower will pop up - fucker can kill you in two hits. Keep distance and kill him ASAP.

Stage 2, Hard - Albuquerque till the end. Guys in power armor, Supermutants, Deathclaws. Enemies using heavy and energy weapons. Psycho is now useless, armor insufficient. High-crit build is necessary, for you won't get high quality weapons like Gauss or Impulse rifle, Bozar or much ammo for minigun. Use stealth or heal a lot. I played both times with high stealth, imagine how painful it would be without.

Fallout 2, for example, has stage in between two of these. Guys in metal/combat armor, using mostly automatic weapons. Not to say that Stage Hard in F2 is different - armor isn't nerfed and you get less damage, you have better arsenal.

urmom

Learned
Game still crashes while saving at Albuquerque

Which district?
I've had problems with saving in Suburbs, Dead District and around MH base- save files were getting corrupted. So between quests I left town to save.
Me too. The area would load, but if I walked away from the spawn location it would crash. Eventually I did something "correct" and it ceased crashing. Not sure what I did, however.

I have about 40 different save files, so it is easy to load an earlier one if need be.

I'm loving this mod though.

oldbonebrown

Arcane
I just beat this game with my character Panzram.
It was a good game to be the meanest guy possible. Murdering kids for the pedo seemed a bit over the top, but it was fun to walk around with a bag of kids gore after that, it went well with the necklace of tongues that I nicked from the serial killer earlier.

Lockpick was a little OP, rarely did NPCs care if I unlocked and rummaged through all their belongings

The Jester

Cipher
How can i get rid of these black edges in maps?
gUhBG35.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom