Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Icewind Dale D&D Beyond YouTube channel posted a video and YouTube linked it to the original Icewind Dale

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm posting this here because it made my heart skip a beat when I saw it:

For those of you who don't know about it, D&D Beyond is an official tool mainly used to organize your character sheets and to easily access your digital material, so it's a source very close to WotC and D&D in particular.

Recently WotC announced his next product, Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden, an adventure scheduled for release next September. They already announced that they plan to release seven or eight D&D-related videogames and one of the last adventure modules they released was Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus, so it's a given that they want to exploit this new handbook as promotional material for an IWD-related videogame. The same YouTube channel posted 6 videos in total on the topic and some of them were linked to the original Icewind Dale game:

pseKeRc.png

However, these links have probably been automatically added by YouTube without any input from the creators, so this really shouldn't mean anything. Regardless, seeing the underrecognized masterpiece that is the Icewind Dale series actually linked to official D&D content made my heart flutter (and my pee pee hard).

The worst thing is that the adventure will probably be used to promote the involuntary joke that is the new Dark Alliance game:

Meh, guess I will stick to pestering Josh about IWD3 on Twitter.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The worst thing is that the adventure will probably be used to promote the involuntary joke that is the new Dark Alliance game:

Of course this is tied to Dark Alliance which is set in Icewind Dale (100 years before though). https://venturebeat.com/2020/06/18/dd-icewind-dale-rime-of-the-frostmaiden-adventure/

I asked Wizards why it decided to head back to the Frozen North.

Turns out part of the reason has to do with a video game.

“We weren’t planning to return to Icewind Dale so soon, but as Dark Alliance began to crystallize, we realized that there were interesting new stories we could tell in this setting,” Perkins said over email. “We wouldn’t have returned to Icewind Dale if we didn’t have what we thought was an exciting story to tell.”

I don't think they will make yet another video game that will set in Icewind Dale or related to the original IWD games.

Elex

Arbiter
They still have 5 more d&d titles in the working.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I really don't understand what's the point of having a continent (let alone a whole multiplanar universe) if you only make games set in the same two regions. Oh, actually I know, the point is gullible people's money.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I don't care much about Baldur's Gate 3 but all proper D&D campaign games with full party creation I'll instantly buy, so especially a third Icewind Dale, there are already a few such games coming which is cool but the more the better.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't care much about Baldur's Gate 3 but all proper D&D campaign games with full party creation I'll instantly buy, so especially a third Icewind Dale, there are already a few such games coming which is cool but the more the better.
I'm pretty sure Baldur's Gate 3 is going to have full party creation, just like previous Divinity: Original Sin games. There are companions, but if you don't care about them you can create and fully customize the entire party.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
No, I have not played the second one but Divinity : Original Sin is basically like Pillars of Eternity, you just create 2 chosen ones, whose fate is based on who they are and not on what they do, instead of only one and then the only difference with Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 is that you can recruit mercenaries (which is a good feature but anyway), and I'm sure Baldur's Gate 3 will be like those, no mundane, replaceable adventurers meeting in a tavern that you create at the beginning of the game like in Icewind Dale 1 & 2.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Ice wind Dale is amazing and I honestly hate snow. Leave it to Larian to destroy everything I ever loved

Dodo1610

Arcane
I'm pretty sure Baldur's Gate 3 is going to have full party creation, just like previous Divinity: Original Sin games. There are companions, but if you don't care about them you can create and fully customize the entire party.

Swen confirmed it in the AMA https://www.reddit.com/r/baldursgate/comments/fhq9cq/compiled_baldurs_gate_ama_20200313/
Will all possible companions be available as Origin character options or will there be companions available only as NPCs?

Swen: We are trying to make all characters with backstory available as origin characters. Other than that, you will be able to recruit generic mercenaries and customize these. We’re also planning to allow you to build a custom party from the character creation screen though that most likely won’t be present in early access from the get go.

Totally unrelated but I really want a game set in Vilhon Reach

The Reach has always been considered the breadbasket of the Realms, the birthplace of countless warriors who have shed their lifeblood on the fields of battle. It's also home to noble families that have ruled kingdoms for countless generations, lizardman cities that have existed for hundreds of years, and an ancient plague that still haunts the land.

Take a trip to Hlondeth, the yuan-ti city that stands like an emerald beacon over the waters of Vilhon. Visit the gladiatorial arena of Hlath or plunge into the depths of the Deepwash. Feel the political tension that hovers over Shining Arrabar like a poised dagger. But always remember that in the Reach, as in all lands that adventurers tread, not all is as it appears.
from The Vilhon Reach (sourcebook)

But no, everything has to be set in the western or northern europe fantasy part of Faerun.:(

Last edited:

Turuko

Learned
BG3 will act as a framework, IW3 will be an expansion

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom