Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Microsoft is shutting down Mixer

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Microsoft is shutting down Mixer and partnering with Facebook Gaming

Microsoft is closing its Mixer service on July 22nd and plans to move existing partners over to Facebook Gaming. The surprise announcement means Mixer partners and streamers will be transitioned to Facebook Gaming starting today, and Microsoft will no longer operate Mixer as a service in a month’s time.

Microsoft has struggled to reach the scale needed for Mixer to compete with Twitch, YouTube, and even Facebook Gaming which has led to today’s decision. “We started pretty far behind, in terms of where Mixer’s monthly active viewers were compared to some of the big players out there,” says Phil Spencer, Microsoft’s head of gaming, in an interview with The Verge. “I think the Mixer community is really going to benefit from the broad audience that Facebook has through their properties, and the abilities to reach gamers in a very seamless way through the social platform Facebook has.”

Microsoft is partnering with Facebook to transition existing Mixer viewers and streamers over to Facebook Gaming in the coming weeks. On July 22nd, all Mixer sites and apps will automatically redirect to Facebook Gaming. Existing Mixer Partners will be granted partner status with Facebook Gaming, and any streamers using the Mixer monetization program will be granted eligibility for Facebook’s Level Up program. Mixer viewers with outstanding Ember balances, channel subscriptions, or Mixer Pro subscriptions will receive Xbox gift card credit.

Erikkolai

Learned
Shroud & Ninja (2 of the former biggest streamers on Twitch) were paid around $20-30 million each to stream exclusively on Mixer, less than a year ago. Must feel pretty damn comfy now, if they're free from their obligations already.

Turuko

Learned
Must feel pretty damn comfy if they're free from any obligations now.

Hah, dealing with the likes of Microsoft is like dealing with the devil. Microsoft probably owns them and their families until the end of time.
looks like this is basically Facebook streaming absorbing Mixer
regarding the streamers

not gonna lie, this blue haired guy has been in the zone for years now

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Did anyone care about this beyond the two guys hired to be on their platform? From what I understand streamers tend to have a symbiotic relationship with other streamers and their followers. Not something that works well if you have two big guys and then nothing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
When MS bought Obsidian, I was afraid I'd have to watch all of their streams on Mixer. But they kept on broadcasting everything on Twitch/YouTube too, so it was pointless.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There was a statistics article like a month ago that Im too lazy to find right now about growth of streaming platforms during the corona lockdown.
Every platform pretty much doubled in viewerships while Mixer grew 0.2%.

No wonder they killed it.

Codex Year of the Donut
new microsoft doesn't have the bite of old microsoft, it's kinda disappointing really.
I was promised a tech corporation dystopia and instead I got a homo one

abija

Prophet
Isn't mixer an icon in lower right corner of your screen that allows you to change sound volume
Is what you type after win key to access "sound mixer options" (option to set different sound cards per software).

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I still don't get whats the appeal of streamers

watch games before buy (tlou2)

watch players doing challenge runs (mostly dark souls)

watch people visiting exotic places (south korea)

watch thots begging for money

watch demented people doing shit for attention

alternative to background tv

edit: don't ever subscribe

Last edited:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

What was that?
rating_oldman.png

polo

Magister
I still don't get whats the appeal of streamers
Replacement of background tv for normal people i think.
I dont get the people that use chat and try to interact and shit, makes no sense to me. i guess they have no friends or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom