Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Ys series

Guygrim

Novice
Ys 3 on PC88 is actually the best version it's night and day. If you can figure out how to emulate it I highly recommend it.

It's in Japanese, so... I'm not learning Japanese. :P Anyhow I'll rack in the positive ratings and tomorrow I'll dump Mask of Ys. And then Dawn of Ys.

I don't know Japanese either...

You've already played the game obviously, so you just go where you're supposed to it's not that hard.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So is 8 worth playing? Everyone I know has been saying its pretty good, so I thought about getting used to the whole party ARPG formula thing with Ys7.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
So is 8 worth playing? Everyone I know has been saying its pretty good, so I thought about getting used to the whole party ARPG formula thing with Ys7.
I hate all the party games with a passion, but from what I hear Ys 8 is the best since the basic bitch combat is heavily compensated for in other areas. So if you're going to play one of them it might as well be Ys 8.

I've been on a Ys kick lately and trying to finish the ones I haven't yet. I remembered I had an old playthrough of Ys 2 sitting around so I decided to resume it.

I'm at the part where you get
turned into an evil Roo and must find a sacred cup to put some holy water in and dispel the curse. This is definitely the most boring part in all of the Ys games that I've played - the area is just so dull and it brings the entire pace of the game to a grinding halt. Plus did I miss some clue about using the light spell in the room that the cup is in? I just looked it up. It's a shame, this part just killed my entire enthusiasm. I'll continue playing through to the end, though.
83C0BCABC33249C7207AC19A415536990EE03C54

Great tunes and it's definitely better than the first part, but this part is a real bummer.

Edit: Alright, I powered through and finished today. The last fight was pretty cool but
the shield spell that you get just before the boss
makes it very trivial. Still, much better than the first game's bullshit boss.

D92EBE82CA571A1EDE5F28885B31E2579F613B24

I've been meaning to play all Ys games in chronological order and I never played Ys 3 back in the day - I did play Felghana but wanted to play the original now. What do you guys think is the best of the old versions? The TG-16 CD has the best soundtrack for sure, but the parallax scrolling is a little shit, and from what I understand the gameplay is also not that great. I've heard that the Genesis version is pretty good (the FM synth soundtrack also sounds pretty great), but I've found a way to play the SNES port with the TG-CD soundtrack via MSU-1 trickery. Is it worth it?

Last edited:
I've tried the TG-CD, Genesis and SNES (using the TG-CD soundtrack via MSU-1 emulation) versions and the Genesis version is the best IMO. It has smooth parallax scrolling, plays better than the others (at least there's much less bullshit hits) and the FM soundtrack is pretty close to the PC-88 version from what I can tell.

ysiiiusa-200831-195535wjxv.png

However, I feel like the game just isn't good at all. There are too many annoying elements and the gameplay just isn't precise enough for it to work. Playing the original gives me such a new appreciation for Felghana, that I now think it's the best remake ever.

cruel

Cipher
Can somebody summarize strong and weak points of Ys 8? I'm considering getting it on Switch or PS4, I see it's rated very high (one of the highest rated Switch games), but whenever I look at the gameplay videos it just screams... generic?

Basically, what makes this game rated 8.7 instead of something point lower? Plot, characters, memorable moments, music, combat, exploration, something else?

Declinator

Arbiter
Can somebody summarize strong and weak points of Ys 8? I'm considering getting it on Switch or PS4, I see it's rated very high (one of the highest rated Switch games), but whenever I look at the gameplay videos it just screams... generic?

Basically, what makes this game rated 8.7 instead of something point lower? Plot, characters, memorable moments, music, combat, exploration, something else?

There should be a demo version available for PS4 at least so maybe try that. I tried the demo back when it appeared and as far as I saw it was very similar to Ys 7 in many aspects (which is to say that it wasn't nearly as fun as Felghana or Origins).
You shouldn't expect much from plot or characters in any of the Ys games (serviceable and generic)

Perkel

Arcane

Did you play any Ys game before ? Because to me it feels like you are trying to judge Ys as RPG.
Ys games do one thing right and one thing only. ARPG Combat mashed with amazing music.
You either hate it or love it.

Basically this. You fire up your headphones to max and you go:

Rest of stuff like Story/characters/etc are generic but sometimes they have good themes/characters/stories.
That being said.

Adol despite looking like generic anime character #32 does to Ys what Rance does to Rance series. Like Rance he is absolutely one trick pony who never questions his own motives and he has psyche more solid than ton of steel which is super rare these days when every MC needs to have mental breakdown, shades of gray. He just goes and fucks which is why despite looking generic is great.

cruel

Cipher
Thanks for the quick summary. I did play Ys Origins on Vita 3 years ago, but dropped after first proper boss and never came back.

From the video you posted, it definitely doesn't look like a game for me - too much chaos and button mashing. I will still try the demo as suggested though, but keeping my expectations low.

The best Ys games for me are the ones that lean more heavily on the action element. I really can't get into the more recent, party-based ones.

You should definitely give Origins another chance, though. It's pretty short and is pretty much the best representation of the refined action-y Ys formula.

Ysaye

Arbiter

• Plot - has good moments but it is pretty generic (main themes are evolution and existentialism). It's not a good versus evil trying to take over the world story as are most of the other Ys games though. And there is a good amount of humor with some references to old Ys; the game starts with Adol in a sailor's suit so whilst you know exactly what is going to happen first up so the joke is there from the start....
  • Characters - Most of the characters are kind of boring but Dana's character, growth and actions are kind of interesting - she's a strong point. People talk a lot about this so I suspect some of the gameplay points are here.
  • Memorable moments - Again linked to Dana/spoilers. Although the Sister Nia having to rip her robe/garments, get rid of her hajib and getting a tan is also memorable for completely different reasons. Also for philosophy fans you get to meet a character called Dr Kierkegaard who somewhat predictably....
  • Music - Really good but that is always the case with Falcom - probably notches a few gameplay points up here too for those not familiar with Ys
  • Combat - I actually didn't think this was as good as Tokyo Xanadu but it is fun enough. Don't see the point of the tower defence battles though. The game is not particularly hard though.
  • Exploration - Lots of people crowed about this and I think it would have contributed to the score but personally I am not sure that it was so amazing and the early bits are kind of a bit not there (it is maybe after 6-8 hours that it starts to get good). Areas open up but there are lots of optional gates that you can go back to at some point once you have found the "key" or whatever and there are a number of secret areas, hidden characters, but the main story areas are typically gated off until you meet certain requirements. I suppose it is the same as most ys games.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Did NISA ever get around to fixing the terribad port they did of Lacrimosa of Dana? Seems it's still on sale for about a day and I'm somewhat tempted, since I finally finished Celceta last month.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Did NISA ever get around to fixing the terribad port they did of Lacrimosa of Dana? Seems it's still on sale for about a day and I'm somewhat tempted, since I finally finished Celceta last month.
I have a vague memory tyat they did, but don't quote me on that, though.

Ysaye

Arbiter

I believe so.

spekkio

Arcane
BROS, to my surprise, I've recently learned that some l33t people were able to port Vita / Switch / PC JAP (???) -only DLCs for Ys 8 to glorious PC ENG version.

What to do?

1) Grab the file form the Russians or from here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?y11rv8s409u46yt/

2) Extract ITZ contents to the game folder (backup "dlc" folder & "ys8.exe" just in case). DLCs available in the PC ENG version aren't included in the file. You have to get them elsewhere. ;)

3) Activate the DLCs in "Item" menu.

Q36XGir.jpg

Don't worry about the moonrunes:

T0HAhgs.jpg

18cvOp5.jpg

4) Incline your gaming experience:

WdWKLvp.jpg

q9Fp8jc.jpg

Iah8gpc.jpg

:incline:

ut7JQ6D.jpg

ioNcIIs.jpg

RK7gkT1.jpg

:dance:

SDoruzQ.gif

:obviously:

*Edit: For GoG version, keep the vanilla .exe (don't update GoG one with the one from archive) and it should work.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom