Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I know Chris Avellone designed the undead race & undead mask, as well as Fane in DivOS2, but he did not write him.

I also have the idea that he suffered some health related problem during the writing of PS:T.

Does anyone happen to have sources for any of these two claims?

Fane https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/1103796082796969984

PST http://archive.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=12668
While there, I envisioned Planescape: Torment, which I would argue was a huge mistake, but I loved doing it, so there was a period where I loved my job more than my own life, which my doctor later told me would not allow me to rise from the dead when the combination of stress and caffeine would cause my heart to stop beating (the last month of Torment was when I got this medical warning, but Annah was the last companion I had to write, so it was probably the best time for it to happen). This was the third thing I learned about game development - planting your ass in front of a computer game monitor is not conducive to your emotional and physical health.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Create some fucking CRPG, Chris.
Stop talking.

I don't think he has the mental fortitude and concentration anymore to embark on something grand. Also you can forget about creating something as tight as PS:T as a contractor working from home.

Ladies & Gents, as much as it pains me to say, but Larian is the only big RPG studio left worth giving a shit about.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Stop talking.

I don't think he has the mental fortitude and concentration anymore to embark on something grand. Also you can forget about creating something as tight as PS:T as a contractor working from home.

Ladies & Gents, as much as it pains me to say, but Larian is the only big RPG studio left worth giving a shit about.

You can always do a great text or minimal-graphic game from home like Jonas Kyratzes.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Stop talking.

Been joking around about Avelone getting old and rapey, but the truth is, most artists create their best work in their old age. Youth and energy does nothing towards mastering one's craft. Of course we haven't established how games are art, but Chris is a writer, there's no reason for him to decline on that front. It's just the dev parts that seems to be out of his hands by now. I think he needs some kind of creative cooperation with a designer, someone like Ziets perhaps.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Stop talking.

Been joking around about Avelone getting old and rapey, but the truth is, most artists create their best work in their old age. Youth and energy does nothing towards mastering one's craft. Of course we haven't established how games are art, but Chris is a writer, there's no reason for him to decline on that front. It's just the dev parts that seems to be out of his hands by now. I think he needs some kind of creative cooperation with a designer, someone like Ziets perhaps.

I was fabulously optimistic like you once. Remember when Kickstarter first came out? Well I had a disposable income and the idea of 'getting the band back together again' to save the orphans save the RPG genre seemed great. So I became a gold backer for POE, W2, and Numenera. I even wrote a post on Gamebanshee about how all the writers were older, and the games should be better because no evil overlords were involved. But what happened?.

POE: MCA and Tim Cain weren't really involved. Instead we got Sawyer and some unknown writers. I only played a few hours.
W2: Played once. I think MCA wrote one of the two areas (the plant science area was it?) but the rest of the game didn't feel like F1 or 2.
Numenera: Haven't played it yet. Got such bad reviews that I can't bring myself to be bothered.

Years later (and my brother has stabbed me in the back to get all of my lewt) I look back on that decision and wonder: what the fuck was I thinking?. But yeah, I hope MCA comes through this nonsense and writes a full game. The Kickstarter thing could have been so much more. And all of the random work on games here and there is hard to keep track of.

It'd be great if he just had full access to the story of a game, RPG or otherwise, to set the bar again. I get the impression the industry doesn't want that though. They don't want someone setting the bar two decades ago, and for nobody to even come close ever since. I expect the publishers don't want it, and generic writers in the industry get pissed off about it.

So yeah; hope he writes another full game. And pisses all of 'em off.

thesecret1

Arcane
Been joking around about Avelone getting old and rapey, but the truth is, most artists create their best work in their old age. Youth and energy does nothing towards mastering one's craft. Of course we haven't established how games are art, but Chris is a writer, there's no reason for him to decline on that front.
With age comes experience, but ambition tends to decline. Desire to make great things gets replaced by desire for comfortable retirement. Just look at Vogel.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
most artists create their best work in their old age. Youth and energy does nothing towards mastering one's craft.

From my observations, most writers and directors do their best work closer to the beginning of their career than at the end, and it's only rarely the opposite.

most artists create their best work in their old age. Youth and energy does nothing towards mastering one's craft.

From my observations, most writers and directors do their best work closer to the beginning of their career than at the end, and it's only rarely the opposite.

Does this also happens to people who started their careers late? I hope this is caused by the fact that most people just have only a few original ideas, not because the body decays.

Latro

Arcane

Does this also happens to people who started their careers late? I hope this is caused by the fact that most people just have only a few original ideas, not because the body decays.
Many of the juggernauts of literature don't particularly "decay" late in their careers; in fact, many of them write their best towards the end. Games, movies, shows and the like are generally held back by the overall quality of the team who make it. One of the draw-backs of individual art vs art created with many "cooks" in the pot.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Still a lot of the younger talents only get an oportunity in small studios and in the bigger ones when at difficult times (no money, so they have to bet on young and cheap talent), in those scenarios there is more freedom I believe. The other thing "apparently" is that the most creative years of the human life start in teenage and the older we grow the worse it turns (that's what I heard once).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom