Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
God, is straight pistols something that's possible now?

Edit: I wanna play again. F the full psionic. Gotta go melee.

Not really but give it a try. I would like to see your progress.

Vorark

Erudite
Pistol + Sniper Rifle is a good combo if you're unsure about doing a full-on pistol run. Pistols for the early/mid game and then Sniper to ohko late game enemies.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Power management: I'm at level 12 and my most recent shield is already 1000. I'm certain it will be a lot bigger eventually.

FWIW, the biggest pain for shield users is melee damage. The shield will tank only a small portion. Always use low-frequency shields for that reason.

What do you think about Snipe? I am currently torn between getting snipe and full auto. Snipe hits like a train with my stealth and agility, one-shotting a burrower warrior at level 14 for just 24 AP*. It one-shots regular burrowers even with ordinary ammo. On the other hand, it delays me on the path towards making the AR workable. At the moment, burst can only bring down a regular burrower if I go full auto with regular ammo and is pretty pathetic against a warrior (I am using +2 burst). I don't have enough W2C to be bursting with them yet. For now, I am leaning towards taking snipe.

Full Auto is just murder with the Muzzle Brake. Not much choice here. Use plus crit damage for the scope with Critical Power. Of course having +100% critical damage on the weapon makes Critical Power useless.

I haven't had many possibilities for staying in stealth after the initial shot. At best the enemies had an orange "suspicious" marker and were actively following me. There are way too many OP ways to kill a single target, none of them particularly useful. Aimed Shot with the plasma pistol kills almost anything but it's barely ever a proper tactical choice.

Humanophage

Arcane
Twiglard, I ended up taking snipe and postponing full auto until the next feat level up because the spree isn't powerful enough until I get concentrated fire, boost my crit, and get enough W2C ammo. Snipe is just too good with my stealth and it works beautifully with Entropic Recurrence. I discovered that it's possible to use it multiple times per fight because I hide behind the Force Wall anyway, so I just use stealth on the turn it dissipates (meanwhile, Entropic Recurrence from the first shot is ticking if the enemy is fat). The arena has been a cakewalk at level 14, including the last fight, and I am generally not having any trouble - although I expect DC to be much harder.

I very much agree about low frequency shields. I am very afraid of close combat and disabling effects.

On an unrelated note, Death Stalkers are funny because they keep attacking random monsters and dying. These guys attacked cuttlesnails but were unable to penetrate them. Previously, a death stalker tried fighting an ancient rathound with his pack, and died.
2pepIhi.jpg

Humanophage

Arcane
Hmm, I only remember cuttlesnails in deep dungeons and Tchort. Harder difficulty or something else?
Yeah, it's DOMINATING. I first saw them in the regular sewers in Core City (didn't get to DC on Hard), and now in a late quest there. Can't say they're at all difficult, unlike the pretty annoying Death Stalkers. Good thing the Death Stalker is so hateful it attacks everything and not just me. The rathound fight I mentioned was very amusing because I just hid in a nook and kept stunning the rats who blocked the passage such that the frontal rat kept hitting me with its measly claw, while the Death Stalker was killing everything else. Definitely a memorable moment.

Also the Psi Goliathus is everywhere, including the early Silent Isle.

In addition, it seems that the content of quests is changed a bit. For example, on Hard I had a toxic factory with "failed experiment" muties, while on DOMINATING the same factory was occupied by possessed human slaves and their master (called Mr Dom in a rather BDSM fashion).

hell bovine

Arcane
In addition, it seems that the content of quests is changed a bit. For example, on Hard I had a toxic factory with "failed experiment" muties, while on DOMINATING the same factory was occupied by possessed human slaves and their master (called Mr Dom in a rather BDSM fashion).
That one seems to be randomized on every game, regardless of difficulty. There is also one with cultists, one with robots, and I think one with electrocuting floors (haven't finished that one, though).

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I grabbed the Acorn from Abyssal Station Zero and ran like a little bitch. Can't touch the void creatures. At least all my Psi abilities were improved! So long, suckers!

I really liked the mood of the place. Heck, even the writing in this part didn't tire me like some other sections of the expansion have.

Last edited:

Humanophage

Arcane
Invisible enemies are unpleasantly annoying because of the inane cooldown on entering the turn-based mode, which makes stealth far more actiony than any RTWP game. E.g., you see the outline of the invisible enemy and even the eye above him, but often the only way to enter combat is to pop the mole with your mouse instead of just entering combat mode. Imagine if you had a cooldown on pause in RTWP. And what's the point of the cooldown? Your APs are counted anyway and you can enter combat too, it's just that you have to do a dumb actiony trick for it. I have 400+ detection and 250 stealth, and I am still having problems with death stalkers because of this, even though I spot them first while their eye is still yellow.

I just gave up on the detection game. Instead, I sprint into the midst of an area which will probably have some crawlers and put stasis on myself, maybe shooting any of them I notice. They all attack me without doing any harm whilst revealing themselves. Then when the stasis ends, I kill or stun them. That said, it is still a crutch and the cooldown mechanic on combat is inexplicable.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
Twiglard, I ended up taking snipe and postponing full auto until the next feat level up because the spree isn't powerful enough until I get concentrated fire, boost my crit, and get enough W2C ammo. Snipe is just too good with my stealth and it works beautifully with Entropic Recurrence. I discovered that it's possible to use it multiple times per fight because I hide behind the Force Wall anyway, so I just use stealth on the turn it dissipates (meanwhile, Entropic Recurrence from the first shot is ticking if the enemy is fat). The arena has been a cakewalk at level 14, including the last fight, and I am generally not having any trouble - although I expect DC to be much harder.

I very much agree about low frequency shields. I am very afraid of close combat and disabling effects.

On an unrelated note, Death Stalkers are funny because they keep attacking random monsters and dying. These guys attacked cuttlesnails but were unable to penetrate them. Previously, a death stalker tried fighting an ancient rathound with his pack, and died.
2pepIhi.jpg

Doing the quest for the strange cube for Miles, if you go down with the elevator you can see/hear the Derpstalkers attacking robots. All you have to do to lure them in is blowing up one of the Kamikaze bots.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Doing the quest for the strange cube for Miles, if you go down with the elevator you can see/hear the Derpstalkers attacking robots. All you have to do to lure them in is blowing up one of the Kamikaze bots.
No idea how to clear bottom room without using the Deathstalkers. On dominating the Industrial Bots are very rough, and even plasma sentries on hard can cause some problems.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I have 400+ detection and 250 stealth, and I am still having problems with death stalkers because of this, even though I spot them first while their eye is still yellow.

You did it all wrong! (c)

Dude, really. With such stealth/detection rating, you shouldn't have problem.
Just observe from afar. That's all you need. Don't come close to their alleged position.
I personally wear meatl helmet, groin guard, ancient rathound boots, riot armor without shield and try to bait them when I have Fend active.
Works like a char vs sole roof drow.

No idea how to clear bottom room without using the Deathstalkers. On dominating the Industrial Bots are very rough, and even plasma sentries on hard can cause some problems.

Well, without DS you can first eliminate usual muties, then hanchbacks in the lab room, then industrial friend.
What so rough about them thoug? I have no problem with them at all in my spear builds without Nude Weakness - Spear Throw could dish out like 200-300 damage. And with enough mobility you can kite them forever, given usual EMP (tier 1) and taser.
You see, I did fair fight there a few times, and now not interested in that anymore.

Usually I deal with Death Stranglers first, then open the door to a industrial friend, and then like wait for kamikaze bot to go boom, after then only watch in stealth how industrial frend destroys all muties lol.

Last edited:

Humanophage

Arcane
Stasis: Stasis is quite useful in that it prolongs any desired status by a turn. Say, adrenaline ordinarily lasts 3 turns, including the turn on which it is used. With Stasis, you use +20 AP from adrenaline on the first turn before casting Stasis, but upon exiting it you get the same 3 turns left of +20 AP, transforming it into 4 turns. This pertains to everything else like sprinting and such, although to negative effects too.

Industrial bots: I have found them exquisitely easy with my build. Snipe takes something like 3/4 of their health, they can be easily stunned, and I don't think they're immune to crit unlike e.g. stationary plasma cannons. Also they can't open doors.

Fenix, I am lightly armoured and I don't want to bother changing all equipment just to deal with an area that might have death stalkers. Putting on detection glasses is enough of a bother; adding the whole re-stealthing routine for the armour is just excessive. Not to mention carrying around an additional set of heavy armour is impractical. Generally speaking, I have found the Stasis approach satisfactory, although it's still silly that even being specifically oriented towards detection/stealth doesn't help much. My complaint was more about the weirdness of the inability to enter combat at will, which makes the game too real-time and twitchy.

Sheepherder, dual ARs is a pretty nice combo in that you can use the low AP hornet with reloader to trigger commando for a free burst, and then you can use the free burst to fire a high AP assault rifle with a crit scope and a muzzle, but no reloader. I.e., use a 27 AP burst to trigger a 48 AP burst. Is that the idea - or can you only burst from the same rifle that used the original burst?

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Well, without DS you can first eliminate usual muties, then hanchbacks in the lab room, then industrial friend.
What so rough about them thoug? I have no problem with them at all in my spear builds without Nude Weakness - Spear Throw could dish out like 200-300 damage. And with enough mobility you can kite them forever, given usual EMP (tier 1) and taser.
You see, I did fair fight there a few times, and now not interested in that anymore.

Usually I deal with Death Stranglers first, then open the door to a industrial friend, and then like wait for kamikaze bot to go boom, after then only watch in stealth how industrial frend destroys all muties lol.
I was talking about the Strange Cube quest which you do when you're like level 10-13.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Are melee builds even viable on dominating? Expedition native raids are painful enough as is, but they're downright sadistic for melee.

Sheepherder

Augur
Stasis: Stasis is quite useful in that it prolongs any desired status by a turn. Say, adrenaline ordinarily lasts 3 turns, including the turn on which it is used. With Stasis, you use +20 AP from adrenaline on the first turn before casting Stasis, but upon exiting it you get the same 3 turns left of +20 AP, transforming it into 4 turns. This pertains to everything else like sprinting and such, although to negative effects too.

Industrial bots: I have found them exquisitely easy with my build. Snipe takes something like 3/4 of their health, they can be easily stunned, and I don't think they're immune to crit unlike e.g. stationary plasma cannons. Also they can't open doors.

Fenix, I am lightly armoured and I don't want to bother changing all equipment just to deal with an area that might have death stalkers. Putting on detection glasses is enough of a bother; adding the whole re-stealthing routine for the armour is just excessive. Not to mention carrying around an additional set of heavy armour is impractical. Generally speaking, I have found the Stasis approach satisfactory, although it's still silly that even being specifically oriented towards detection/stealth doesn't help much. My complaint was more about the weirdness of the inability to enter combat at will, which makes the game too real-time and twitchy.

Sheepherder, dual ARs is a pretty nice combo in that you can use the low AP hornet with reloader to trigger commando for a free burst, and then you can use the free burst to fire a high AP assault rifle with a crit scope and a muzzle, but no reloader. I.e., use a 27 AP burst to trigger a 48 AP burst. Is that the idea - or can you only burst from the same rifle that used the original burst?
Yeah, you use a low AP rifle like a Hornet to trigger Commando and then use a Chimera burst for free.
Also, I've used Stasis to prolong stuff like Blindsiding. And there's a useless combo with Psionic Mania with 2 point specialization. Activate Psionic Mania, cast Increment, Cast stasis, once stasis ends use the Psionic Mania charge from before then activate Psionic Mania again on the same turn.
I'm not sure, but I think stasis may allow you to have two Commando bursts per turn. Trigger commando, cast stasis, once stasis runs out use the commando charge, kill something again with a burst and then get another commando charge on the same turn. Not 100% sure about this. And it's not particularly useful.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Are melee builds even viable on dominating? Expedition native raids are painful enough as is, but they're downright sadistic for melee.
It's doable with a Spear build, that much I know. I left it till right before Tchort and did some oddity hunting to get enough levels, but it's definitely possible. Just used a metric fuck ton of Napalm and V Frags. And anyway, you can always just make a beeline for the land mines if you don't want to deal with the raids.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
That's cool but spears are boring. I'm thinking 4ap puncher could work easily, but I'd really like to try a 95% armor penalty heavyweight sledgehammer. Pretty sure psionics would rape me due to low initiative and no stealth though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom