Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Demon's Souls Remake

sullynathan

Arcane
The Shadow of the colossus from Bluepoint games in not a remake, but a remaster. It uses the code of the original game, it's not made from scratch. It updates the models, textures, lighting and some animations, but all this thing are built on the original code.
Yet it's still marketed and called a remake so the point stands.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I really don't understand all the hype for a remake. Of a game you already played and own the better version.

Doktor Best

Arcane
I really don't understand all the hype for a remake. Of a game you already played and own the better version.

1) 60 FPS and no aliasing
2) I don't have to get my PS3 out of its retirement box, fuck around with cables, charge the controllers, put in the dvd etc etc

Doktor Best

Arcane
Every Dark Souls game is a rehash of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 falls apart after Anor Londo while Demon's Souls peaks with the latter half of the Boletarian Palace with the False King.

I disagree with the opinion that Dark Souls "falls apart" after Anor Londo. Demon's souls also had weak levels, is more linear and way shorter.

Dark Souls 1 is still the king of souls-likes.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Other remakes better than the originals are ...Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles

Wait, for real? How so? I hate the visuals, but I'll give it a go if it plays better than Rondo

There's an extra boss fight, and an extra form for dracula. I've played both, but prefer the original. The artstyle in the remake doesn't suit castlevania

It also has Symphony of the Night, so it was a good 20 euro purchase.
The artstyle has fine for me.

praetor

Arcane
Every Dark Souls game is a rehash of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 falls apart after Anor Londo while Demon's Souls peaks with the latter half of the Boletarian Palace with the False King.

I disagree with the opinion that Dark Souls "falls apart" after Anor Londo. Demon's souls also had weak levels, is more linear and way shorter.

absolutely! sure, DR+Izalit sucks, and most of the nonDLC bosses post AL are "meh", but the other levels are still all very good and imo better than the DeS average. are people seriously saying New Londo and the Archives are bad levels? i guess "DS1 after AL sucks" has become as much of a meme for unwashed sheeple as "DS2 has gangbangs every 2m"

absolutely! sure, DR+Izalit sucks, and most of the nonDLC bosses post AL are "meh", but the other levels are still all very good and imo better than the DeS average. are people seriously saying New Londo and the Archives are bad levels? i guess "DS1 after AL sucks" has become as much of a meme for unwashed sheeple as "DS2 has gangbangs every 2m"

I don't think its only about the level design itself, its because it becomes linear, which is a big problem because interconnectivity was such a strong point of the game until Anor Londo. Its still a masterpiece and one of the GOATs for me, but i think i rate Bloodborne a tad higher these days.

Silva

Arcane

And Bloodborne trumps both consistency-wise. It may not have the highs of DS/DeS but there's practically no lows either. The lowest BB gets is Nightmare Frontier and it's not that bad by series standards.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
after 3-4 playthroughs i developed a sort of affect towards BOC in DS1. It's a gimmick, even a poor implemented one, but beating and 1shotting that old hag has a catartic feeling.
Izalith and all bosses and enemies there are shit tough. new londo and TOG are masterpiece levels, and archives are ok. the most useless and anticlimatic boss is Seath. basically a fusion between a dragon and amoeba you can beat by standing in 1 spot.
nito is another bad gimmick and 4kings are a good boss.
overall i'd give post al ds an 8/10 while the rest of the game is a 9,5/10

Perkel

Arcane
And Bloodborne trumps both consistency-wise. It may not have the highs of DS/DeS but there's practically no lows either. The lowest BB gets is Nightmare Frontier and it's not that bad by series standards.

If consistency is key to good game then Pillars of Eternity is amazing game since whole game is mediacore and there are no good and bad things about it. No one cares if DaS had blightown in 10fps games are good and bad because of sum of their parts. BB is good because its highest highs are great not because its lowest low is media-core instead of bad.

Perkel

Arcane
Name 5 remastered/remakes that improved the original game
p.s. i'm talking about modern remasters and remakes , since 2010 onward

Literally studio which makes this remake made previously shadow of collosus remake. And it is improved by every measure. Not only they reworked completely graphics without destroying artstyle, they also introduced a bit of QOL game needed back even on PS2.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
Name 5 remastered/remakes that improved the original game
p.s. i'm talking about modern remasters and remakes , since 2010 onward

Literally studio which makes this remake made previously shadow of collosus remake. And it is improved by every measure. Not only they reworked completely graphics without destroying artstyle, they also introduced a bit of QOL game needed back even on PS2.
well seems in this case they are destroyingboth armosphere and artstyle,judging by few pics tgat were posted

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Remakes are meant to draw in new generations and new fans first and foremost. Even if DeS didn't improve anything else than the graphix (which hopefully isn't the case coz the OG has a lot of problems) it'd be a good thing because the youngfags, used to AAA IGN 10/10 muh raytracing visuals, would never play the old game. And the more people buy and play Souls-likes the more are being made which makes me happy because there's never too many good Souls-likes.

Perkel

Arcane
OG doesn't have a lot of problems. It is ridiculous claim that it has.

You could take DeS campaign and sell it as DeS1 DLC with some slight lore changes and people wouldn't even notice they are playing different game.

Dark Souls was always straight up copy of Demon's Souls with slight changes. And imho few of those changes for the worse.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Don't be a dumbass fanboy, of course the OG has a lot of problems. Unless you loved world tendency and broken magic and the convoluted upgrade paths and useless features like bleed or poison or unfinished archstone and grass farming and inventory overburden and a host of other small issues that the entire community has always griped about. I'm so fucking tired dealing with this blind, zombie-brained fanboyism, jesus fucking christ.

Dark Souls was always straight up copy of Demon's Souls with slight changes.

Yeah, open world vs. mission based is a slight change. A brand new healing system is a slight change. Poise is a slight change. Spell charges vs. mana is a slight change. Covenants are a slight change.

All these are things that fundamentally impact the core gameplay. Talk about ridiculous claims.

Perkel

Arcane

Don't be a dumbass fanboy, of course the OG has a lot of problems. Unless you loved world tendency and broken magic and the convoluted upgrade paths and useless features like bleed or poison or unfinished archstone and grass farming and inventory overburden and a host of other small issues that the entire community has always griped about. I'm so fucking tired dealing with this blind, zombie-brained fanboyism, jesus fucking christ.

Sorry but if world tendency is problem for you then i have nothing else to say that you are dumbfuck, to anyone who played world tendency was never a problem. It was problem for casuals and reviewers for whom trying to wear clothes is sometimes an issue, it was the same line of arguments that NPCs were not like in every other game where game would point out big nice marker over each head. Archstone really ? The fact that game didn't feature extra location is now problem ?

Also "the entire community" can shove their dick in their community ass. Same community is convinced that bonfire system is better than archstone system which is clearly better than that bonfire garbage. Same people who say DaS has best level design because of shortcuts are the same ones that say DeS has worse level design and worse shortcuts which is clearly idiocy to anyone who played it.

The fact is that most of Souls fans didn't play Demon's Souls and they just repeat innane garbage they heard or they played it so long ago that they only really remember snippets of their memories.

Dark Souls is what people played first and like retards they think automatically that if something isn't Dark Souls then it is worse.

The only good critique imho was with healing system, estus system is clearly better but it is not like DeS system is completely broken, it was tuned around people who know what they are doing after a time which meant that if you would just YOLO everything you would have to farm those grasses. But if you would play normally you still had that thought you would run out of grasses but you rarely did.

Silva

Arcane

If consistency is key to good game then Pillars of Eternity is amazing game since whole game is mediacore and there are no good and bad things about it. No one cares if DaS had blightown in 10fps games are good and bad because of sum of their parts. BB is good because its highest highs are great not because its lowest low is media-core instead of bad.
We are in agreement here. My point was that BB lows are actually good. Even if it lacks super highs like, say, Latria or Valley of Defilement or Tomb of Giants.

Sekiro is like that too. I don't remember a boring level after 2 straight playthroughs. It seems From got good in avoiding shitty levels.

Last edited:

praetor

Arcane
i'm more and more convinced with each passing day that Perkel is Wrong_Carlo's polish clone... and the few times he hasn't been wrong about something, are because he can't express his thoughts in english properly

Silva

Arcane
i'm more and more convinced with each passing day that Perkel is Wrong_Carlo's polish clone... and the few times he hasn't been wrong about something, are because he can't express his thoughts in english properly

:lol::lol::lol:

Something has changed. He used to be more calm and coherent.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom