Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bethesda General Discussion Thread

Duralux for Durabux

Is Oblivion the game that Todd Howard had the most control on? If the answer is yes, i have no expectancy on Starfield. For once, i wanted to be fabulously optimistic.

Last edited by a moderator:

xuerebx

Erudite
Todd is a businessman first and foremost. He'll make what sells, even if it doesn't align with his tastes.

This is exactly it. When you run a business, especially a large one like Bethesda, you take decisions on what sells the most. As a consumer you then vote with your wallet. Unfortunately it doesn't really make a difference when you're in the minority but anyway...

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Bethesda is balls deep in algorithmic design, it's highly doubtful they'll ever make anything hand-crafted like Morrowind.

You can always expect at least two things from them - traditionally sloppy coding and a toolset to finish the game yourself.

Duralux for Durabux

it's highly doubtful they'll ever make anything hand-crafted like Morrowind.
But why? Julian lefay said Todd prefer everything Hand-crafted.
You can always expect at least two things from them - traditionally sloppy coding and a toolset to finish the game yourself.
They received an intense backlash with fallout 76, i don't think Bethesda fans can support a poorly coded game anymore.

ADL

Prophet
For all the criticisms you can levy against nuBethesda, not creating stuff by hand ain't one of them. Perhaps they're guilty of clicking the random button on a terrain generator too many times but everything else is crap because they're creating it by hand (and the people creating it by hand are crap).

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
All the horribly fucking generic open worlds we get now, blank slates for quest arrow following, Bethesda is actually up there in creating unique content to find by randomly exploring. Sure it's mostly stupid letters and "environmental storytelling" but it's better than the nothing we get in most open world games now.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Bethesda is actually up there in creating unique content to find by randomly exploring. Sure it's mostly stupid letters and "environmental storytelling" but it's better than the nothing we get in most open world games now.

Keep lowering the bar. That's why things are as they are, cause of decline enablers like you.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Keep lowering the bar. That's why things are as they are, cause of decline enablers like you.

Yeah man, I'm sure AAA publishers will go back to making stuff like Morrowind if I just pretend Bethesda does nothing decent whatsoever in any of their millions and millions of copies sold blockbuster hits.

DraQ

Arcane
Is Oblivion the game that Todd Howard had the most control on? If the answer is yes, i have no expectancy on Starfield. For once, i wanted to be fabulously optimistic.
Yes, he had complete control over the studio after Morrowind's success.
Nothing in Oblivion looks like anyone had control over anything, to be frank (sphincters included).

Actually that also holds for Morrowind, except Morrowind actually turned out well.

Last edited:

Duralux for Durabux

Yes, he had complete control over the studio after Morrowind's success.
From coffee boy to chad Godd Howard.
Nothing in Oblivion looks like anyone had control over anything, to be frank.

Actually that also holds for Morrowind, except Morrowind actually turned out well.
Morrowind is a strange beast, it tries to be an RPG but nothing restricts you in your class or none of the choices actually matter and the quests are FedEx. It tried to be an action game but the gameplay is bad.
Nonetheless it's still a good game.It was a mix of an RPG and an action game made by rpg makers(Ken Rolston,Dooglas Goodall,Michael Kirkbride,etc...) and action game makers(todd Howard and others).
Oblivion was the turning point ,it goes full action game.

Duralux for Durabux

Why pretend?

That doesn't impact you in any way. Glorifying sales of trash games is sheep mentality.
As usual be the complete edgelord about nuBethesda and continue to defend Morrowind like it was the best rpg ever made . Just don't change ,Bethesda decline started with Morrowind that you endorsed.How about me?, I'll answer that i don't care about them anymore,they have move on from my interest. I don't want to shit on theirs games because in fact no one cares,absolutly,no one,not even the developers.Moreover, DalekFlay doesn't glorify sales, he only pointed out that Bethesda as a publisher financed some good games (made by old Looking glass employees BTW) which turned out to be really good.(i take Dishonored 1,Doom 2016,Prey as exemples). Thoses games are interesting and deserve to be bought whether it's Bethesda behind it or not.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
That doesn't impact you in any way. Glorifying sales of trash games is sheep mentality.

I'm not glorifying sales, I'm saying your "boycott" doesn't mean squat. Google says Skyrim sold 22.7 million copies, do you think some angry Codexers mean fucking ANYTHING compared to that? Play it or don't play it, admit it did some things well or don't, it doesn't fucking matter a speck of shit to whether Bethesda considers their formula a success or not.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
The Great Mystery of Bethesda, or why their esatz-RPGs keep beating all the records in sales? From all Bethesda games Fallout 3 is the only one that I played, but even that is enough to see what's going on. All Bethesda "RPGs" are built around simply but potent gameplay loop: exploration - combat - gathering. You explore the world, find interesting places, fight trash mobs populating it, collect loot and upgrade your stats and equipment to fight even more trash mobs. Simple to implement and addictive like some crap you'll find in a mobile game - but modern consumers are satisfied with that. I wouldn't lie, I myself spent many an hour in F3 doing exactly that: exploring world, fighting trash mobs and hoarding loot. And it was enjoyable, but this doesn't say it's good: I could play and enjoy Solitaire if nothing better is around. And this stuff is so intentionally easy to get into! No complicated game mechanics, no complicated RPG system - who needs this shit when you can replace this with juicy action!

F76 is the logical pinnacle of this design: no plot, no NPCs, only world, places, loot and trash mobs. And you can play it with your retarded buddies to double the fun! Indeed, we live in a time of miracles for it's easy to imagine the ultimate success of F76: the time and resources usually spent at pitiful attempts to create plot, believable world and NPCs are diverted to creating the gameplay element in which Bethesda excels. Critics rejoice en masse, pedestrians and casuals wiping all the copies from the stores' shelves, 'zines are ecstatic in praising the game and Todd is lauded as the "Savior of Fallout and all RPGs" and one of the best game designers history has ever seen, Youtube is flooded by the videos of berks having fun in their playthroughs and Bethesda now has enough money to fund ten more Skyrims. And long term consequences: Elder Scrolls game akin to F76, more developers following the suit in making this kind of "coop-RPG" and the end of this little RPG Renaissance that we all enjoy. If only Bethesda wouldn't be a bunch of greedy hacks and spent little more time finishing and playtesting the game instead of releasing this bug-ridden mess.

You can say: dude, you're being too dramatic. It wouldn't happen this way! But should I remind you the actual precedents in game industry? When Call of Duty introduced it's take on FPS genre, when you sit behind the box and shoot infinitely respawning enemies and watch cinematic cutscenes - and how many developers followed suit? When Gears of War introduced refined popamole - and how many developers followed suit? And don't forget: Bethesda is a big player, and Fallout is a big name in the industry. Their previous bastardization of the genre and Fallout franchise went extremely well already.

Duralux for Durabux

What "boycott" you hallucinating cretin
You answered to him that Bethesda does nothing good. It seems a bit of a boycott, don't you think?
Is Prey a bad game ? Can you think as a player What are my interests? instead of being a complete edgelord.
After all Bethesda doesn't care if they lost a client, they have tons of potential buyers interested on their games.

Silly Germans

I am surprised to see that you can't get Prey 2006 on any official store.
Does Bethesda own the rights or is it somehow tangled up with 2K Games ?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Podcast interview with Pete Hines: https://www.usgamer.net/articles/be...out-76-reactions-informed-doom-eternals-delay

Bethesda's Pete Hines Says Doom Eternal's Delay Stemmed From Experience With Fallout 76
And it made Doom Eternal "much better."

In the lead up to the release of Fallout 76: Wastelanders update, Bethesda was pretty open about the hard lessons it learned from 76's initial launch. That reflection appears to have paid off for Wastelanders given its warm reception from fans, but Bethesda's Senior VP of Global Marketing and Communications Pete Hines says that the response to 76 also informed the tough decision to delay Doom Eternal.

Hines, speaking with host Jeff Green on USG's new podcast Branching Narratives, says that Fallout 76's widely panned launch had a noticeable effect on how Bethesda assessed the quality of Doom Eternal and the Wastelanders update in the lead-up to their completion.

"The fact that something doesn't go well; I mean, you never want it to not go well, but that shouldn't be your criteria for, 'Should we have tried this'," Hines says. "It is your criteria for how you should do things differently. I think it certainly had an impact on how we evaluated Doom Eternal and [Fallout 76: Wastelanders] last year, and we said, 'These are not ready, and we're not going to make another mistake, and we're going to take the extra time even though that time hurts, and is painful, and you miss a holiday.'"

The delays for Doom Eternal and Wastelanders were announced last October, pushing both launches out from the holiday 2019 window into spring of this year. For his part, Hines is confident that Bethesda made the right call. "Doom Eternal was so much better for it, and the response to Wastelanders was so much better for the extra time," he says.

Moreover, Hines says he doesn't agree with the notion that Bethesda would've been better off sticking to single-player RPGs instead of taking a risk with 76. On top of Doom benefitting from the extra time, Hines thinks that Bethesda and its studios "should try and stretch their bounds and try other things," pointing to the recent showcase of Arkane's Deathloop for an example. "They didn't just want to make Dishonored 3," he says. "Even if it's just a one-off and they go back to doing other things, they're still better for the experience, and they take away new learnings, and ultimately I think it makes the individuals better as developers, and it makes the studio better in terms of their overall experience."

In the full episode, Hines and Green discuss a lot more than just Bethesda's recent and soon-to-release games. Hines reflects on his decades long career at Bethesda, weighs in on adjusting to work-from-home, and tells Green how even though he never tells his kids about the publisher's projects, their friends still try to get information out of them anyway. "They're always getting bugged, 'Hey, when are we going to learn more about Starfield? Ask your dad about [The Elder Scrolls 6],' Hines says. "Like yeah, I'm not telling you anything."

You can find Hines's episode of Branching Narratives here. Once you're done hearing about the past, present, and future of Bethesda, you can also go back and listen to episodes featuring Austin Walker and Samantha Kalman.

He also talks about how he dealt with the hate from the old-school Fallout fans when they announced that they are making Fallout 3, just didn't care, since that is not from your audience.

Drowed

Arcane
He also talks about how he dealt with the hate from the old-school Fallout fans when they announced that they are making Fallout 3, just didn't care, since that is not from your audience.

Even before he said it, it was obvious that that was the case. It sounds kind of stupid when you look at it at first: why buy an IP if you're not going to launch the game to the IP audience itself?

But then you understand that Bethesda, at the time of Oblivion, was already just a rotten zombified body of what the company once was (not that I personally think they ever were anything impressive, but I know Daggerfal and Morrowind have some fans on Codex), without any creative ability to create a new IP. Fallout was a series with a certain reputation, a "cult classic", so obviously they would not only win all the lore to rape in any way they liked, but they would also win even more free press for the game than they already would have on a traditional release. It's a win for them in every way.

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
But then you understand that Bethesda, at the time of Oblivion, was already just a rotten zombified body of what the company once was (not that I personally think they ever were anything impressive, but I know Daggerfal and Morrowind have some fans on Codex), without any creative ability to create a new IP. Fallout was a series with a certain reputation, a "cult classic", so obviously they would not only win all the lore to rape in any way they liked, but they would also win even more free press for the game than they already would have on a traditional release. It's a win for them in every way.

The answer is simpler than that. Fallout has great lore, and lore is something The Elder Scrolls has always been praised for. So Bethesda bought the IP to cater to their own fanbase with an open world FPS RPG.
I'm guessing Bethesda is far more troubled over FO76 because they didn't expect their fanbase to hate it, but they did. But when buying Fallout and turning it into Oblivion, they knew very well many fans of Fallout would not take kindly to it, but then again, if they cared they wouldn't have bought the IP to begin with.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom