Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Efe

Erudite
you are assuming we will fight dragons or elder brains.
big bad is that devil dude.

Gyor

Savant
Given enough numbers and resources, everything can be killed by rolling enough 20s in perhaps all D&D editions. That doesn't mean the system is meant to be used this way. It's like saying "if I had 10 queens in a chess match, I could annihilate the opponent", yes you would do that but the system isn't designed to take that into consideration.

Its not really a problem that shows up in video games. But as a DM it can be quite annoying.
Lets say there is a huge melee only beast apporaching a small town. A Tyrranosaurus rex. The party gathers the town guard and leads them into battle. That thing gets slaughtered before it can scale the walls when you actually let the guards do their job and dont fudge their rolls.
Also its a bit strange when you think about how much firepower a city has in 5e. The city of Baldurs Gate probably has enough high level archers and mages to slaughter that hell plane lord anArchers wt has been given a stat block and lead a crusade to conquer the first plane of hell.
But since as a Dm are omnipotent you can straighten those kinks out rahter easily. It just that the system when played Rules as Written leads to some strange situations.

I think Zariel might either be resistant or immune to none magical weapon damage, so those Archers won't be as useful as you think. And Zariel has much larger armies then Baldur's Gate does at her disposal, she has the armies of Avernus.

2e had the right idea, with abilities being extremely hard to raise, above 20 only for monsters and 25 reserved for divine beings. Even 5e is better than 3.5 in this, despite allowing players to raise their stats, as it copied 2e's cap of 20 for PCs and also had magic items SETTING the stat to a score instead of INCREASING it.

I am in general agreement. I think the only minor change I would make, is that the cap would be raised beyond 20 to whatever racial bonus is. For example, a Forest Gnome with +1 Dex and +2 INT would have a maximum DEX of 21 and INT of 22.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Turn based, 4 man party, barrels, 3d over isometric, over world map style and layout, origin characters, animations, character styles, character recruitment layout, exploration style.

No cooldown, no Zimbabwe number inflation and no stat stickie gear. I could't care less for 4 man party and barrels. I don't like DOS2, but DOS2 is critically aclaimed everywhere, including on codex where it appears on top 101 best CRPGs(i an not saying that game jounralists praising it is a signal of quality because anything praised by then is TRASH), but if BG3 becomes DOS2 with a superior ruleset, it will be worth each cent.

As for origins characters, many modules had the option of pre made characters.
This is about how they don't respect BG1 and 2. Not how good the mechanics are themselves. This game has no business calling itself bg3 when they take no inspiration from their own game OVER the BG series at every turn.

eilef

Educated
This is about how they don't respect BG1 and 2. Not how good the mechanics are themselves. This game has no business calling itself bg3 when they take no inspiration from their own game OVER the BG series at every turn.

Game will sell well because it is called BG3. But then again, Larian is a good developer. Who would you give BG3 now instead?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Turn based, 4 man party, barrels, 3d over isometric, over world map style and layout, origin characters, animations, character styles, character recruitment layout, exploration style.

No cooldown, no Zimbabwe number inflation and no stat stickie gear. I could't care less for 4 man party and barrels. I don't like DOS2, but DOS2 is critically aclaimed everywhere, including on codex where it appears on top 101 best CRPGs(i an not saying that game jounralists praising it is a signal of quality because anything praised by then is TRASH), but if BG3 becomes DOS2 with a superior ruleset, it will be worth each cent.

As for origins characters, many modules had the option of pre made characters.

I wanna see what happened to the Bhaalspawn descendants but i can only judge the game story after at least knowing a little about it.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Ontopoly, do you hate Siege of Dragonspear with passion too?

Larian could make Arcanum 2 just to provoke him, this is not a serious statement.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I miss when he had the "Possibly Retarded" tag, it was so fitting.

I like Village idiot better, after reading any Ontopoly's post, it feels really good to scroll up and read his tags.

Village idiot + possibly retarded is the best combination for him from a minmax perspective.
Most people I have seen sporting Dumbfuck!!! have been various assortments of vile or assholes (the exception being my buddy Dawkinsfan69). Ontopoly is pure in his quest to defeat Swen in oiled up Sumo combat.
Possibly retarded are usually entertaining, and Village Idiot is very rare.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler

Yes. And I haven't played it to this day. Despite BG series being my favorite series until 2021. But although beam dog is trash, it still seems like they at least tried to make a Baldur's Gate game and weren't just using the name like swen the thief is. Beam dog at least tried to bring new people into the old series with their ee's unlike cult leader swen who barely even acknowledges the series and doesn't acknowledge it at all through his game design

Lilliput McHammersmith

Yes. And I haven't played it to this day. Despite BG series being my favorite series until 2021. But although beam dog is trash, it still seems like they at least tried to make a Baldur's Gate game and weren't just using the name like swen the thief is. Beam dog at least tried to bring new people into the old series with their ee's unlike cult leader swen who barely even acknowledges the series and doesn't acknowledge it at all through his game design
You’re right, adding self-insert transgender NPCs is way better than making a turn-based D&D video game. Thanks I now formally love Beamdog

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

You really are an idiot. Now it’s official.

Lilliput McHammersmith

You’re right, adding self-insert transgender NPCs is way better than making a turn-based D&D video game in a rtwp series while not taking any inspiration from the og series that you had nothing to do with. Thanks, I now formally love Beamdog
Hahahaha and I also love it that Beamdog changed the rules for Baldur’s Gate 1 and did a bunch of “balancing” in a 20 year old single player game.

Seriously Beamdog, how can a Mind Flayer eat the brains of a Skeleton. It doesn’t even make sense.

Oh and I really love that they forced the old games off the storefront so that you can only buy the “enhanced” editions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom