Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Commandos-Like Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun - Commandos clone with ninjutsu theme

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i was right to not buy games for a while and play some of my backlog.

just finished this and this game is fucking incline as hell. the later levels aren't fucking around even not it hardcore difficulty. it's really cool, the gameplay is cool setting is cool and i like the characters and their companionship, while the story itself is nothing special and predictable really. i predicted who kage-sama is 3 missions before his actual reveal, but the characters drive the story forward. they're great.

can't wait for desperados.

oldbonebrown

Arcane
the later levels aren't fucking around even not it hardcore difficulty.

Yes, but its the challenge badges on hardcore that are the most fun. If there is one thing missing in this game its more of the hard shit. Completing everything on the last few levels was the peak of the game but it felt like it hinted at how much more could have been squeezed out of the mechanics that are already there.

User created levels for this could have been mad fun.

KK1001

Arbiter
This and Slay the Spire have been two of few beacons of incline in a sea of fucking shit.

Jezal_k23

I finished this recently. The last level is fucking insanity. Several of the last 4 or 5 were. Each level was taking me hours to get through. This game is fucking amazing.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
i was right to not buy games for a while and play some of my backlog.

just finished this and this game is fucking incline as hell. the later levels aren't fucking around even not it hardcore difficulty. it's really cool, the gameplay is cool setting is cool and i like the characters and their companionship, while the story itself is nothing special and predictable really. i predicted who kage-sama is 3 missions before his actual reveal, but the characters drive the story forward. they're great.

can't wait for desperados.
It's rock solid, but I recall two of 13 missions that I seriously didn't like. Mission 7 and Mission 12 specifically. Mission 7 because the extraction out of that mission was such a god damn pain where I had to bait half a dozen guards out of a tiny choke point to eliminate them one by one when they were already half-alert, and Mission 12 because it was a pretty major pain to have to move a body up a long road up a hill and the earlier portion was super hard while the later part was piss easy.
http://gamerwalkthroughs.com/shadow-tactics-blades-of-the-shogun/mission-7-suganuma-village/
http://gamerwalkthroughs.com/shadow-tactics-blades-of-the-shogun/mission-12-myogi-pass/
Spoilers and stuff. I had no shame using a walkthrough on mission 12. Hated that shit.

I think one of the problems with the game compared to Desperados is how undynamic the AI is, and how poorly combat is done. In Desperados your landscape and obstacles could change wildly but still be doable depending on how you went about things, but in Shadow Tactics once you get detected you're usually pretty much fucked and have to reload a save. It feels as if Shadow Tactics only really had one or two "right" ways to do things and that was that, while in Desperados you were simply given objectives and the tools to go about them. How you got to them was up to you and more than likely varied wildly from player to player. Similarly in Shadow Tactics if you happen to use a few of your tools wrong earlier (pistol shots and grenades) you can basically make a later part extremely difficult or flat out softlock yourself.
The simpler, earlier missions weren't so bad about it, but it got worse later on. Arguably you could say the same about Desperados, but I don't think it was so bad in that game.

Neki

Scholar
Finished this recently, pretty good outside the stupid wrist guns who made the game way too easy since the sound radius is pathetic. There is no real reason why we shouldn't be able to gang up on samurais either. The UI is pretty good by itself, but if you wanna compare to desperados its a gift from the heavens. Tanuki is op.

Have we heard anything from mimimi about sequels or other games? They will have my money day 1 if they make another game like this.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Finished this recently, pretty good outside the stupid wrist guns who made the game way too easy since the sound radius is pathetic. There is no real reason why we shouldn't be able to gang up on samurais either. The UI is pretty good by itself, but if you wanna compare to desperados its a gift from the heavens. Tanuki is op.

Have we heard anything from mimimi about sequels or other games? They will have my money day 1 if they make another game like this.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/610370/Desperados_III/

supposed to be this year

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Last time I played Commandos III it was as a high school student and tbh I was too little for this kind of game at that point.

Jezal_k23

I used to play Commandos as a kid. I don't even know how I got through the missions, what with being a kid and all. But I did? It's so weird.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I used to play Commandos as a kid. I don't even know how I got through the missions, what with being a kid and all. But I did? It's so weird.
Our kid selves were capable of such greatness, the more so because they rarely had a fucking clue.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I've done GTA (1) modding as a kid. I made one of the most elaborate battle-only single player scenarios for Cossacks as a kid. I addeed pseudo-"surrender mechanics" and pseudo-"retreating" of enemy formations with just scripting

:negative:

Isak

Educated
Finished this game a couple of weeks ago and I think it is phenomenal. Not perfect, certainly. Shadow Mode is kind of clunky and between it and the reliance on quicksaves, they should probably have just allowed you to pause and issue orders instead. The game also gets confused sometimes on if you want to jump on top of a building or run behind it, resulting in some fiddly camera spinning as you try to communicate your intentions.

But beyond that the game is tremendous. The characters are all really clearly-delineated and given depth despite the game not really focusing on narrative or cut scenes. The enemy AI is mostly excellent, although occasionally dense. Hiding someone on top of a tower and luring guards up it to their doom is fun but becomes increasingly implausible (I think my record for one tower was having 15 bodies piled up inside it without anyone noticing). But it was also hilarious. And it’s good that the game gives you the freedom to do things the developers didn’t intend but are still perfectly valid tactics.

The best thing is that the game can be very, very hard but it’s always scrupulously fair. There’s always a way forward, no matter how insane the odds and there’s nothing better than looking at the daunting layout of a Japanese fortress bristling with patrols and watchtowers and two-and-a-half hours later killing the last person in the fortress with a 10-year-old girl armed with a flute whistle.

oldbonebrown

Arcane
I love when you quicksave your way into a tight position with a really narrow gap for your plan and then you have to do it over and over again until you get it just right, but you only lose a couple of seconds every time that you fail.
Shadow Mode not being a pause makes the game more hectic in those situations, and that's fun for me.

Silva

Arcane
I also found a subsequent playthrough super fun, as you bring the knowledge and tricks you learned in later levels, turning earlier ones faster and more enjoyable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom