Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2

RoSoDude

Arcane
How is the first one

Fucking awesome. Was the perfect introduction to Classicvanias for me -- I've since played CV1 and CV3 (Famicom), and will be playing SCIV, Rondo, and Bloodlines soon. I think Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon is better than the NES Castlevanias because of its difficulty curve and built-in replayability, in addition to expanded mechanics, rock solid level/boss design, and some subtle improvements to communication and balance.

jungl

Augur
first one was okay the first boss battle is trash has iffy animations and fighting required to learn to beat it.

TwoEdge

Scholar
How is the first one

Fucking awesome. Was the perfect introduction to Classicvanias for me -- I've since played CV1 and CV3 (Famicom), and will be playing SCIV, Rondo, and Bloodlines soon. I think Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon is better than the NES Castlevanias because of its difficulty curve and built-in replayability, in addition to expanded mechanics, rock solid level/boss design, and some subtle improvements to communication and balance.

Nice writeup, I'd only add that it's a bit on the easier side, especially if you're a long time Castlevania fan.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Only problem I have with COTM1 is that the boss battles both follow 100% predictable patterns and have some attacks that has too fast start-up to be reacted to, so you usually have to memorize the pattern and die once and then beat them easily on the 2nd try. Otherwise it's a good classic platformer

Sarathiour

Cipher
So basically, the same franchise is going to have two different type of game and story at the same time, but with the same characters ? I don't really mind but it's going to be a bit weird.

deama

Prophet
Hopefully the second one will borrow some elements off of Touhou Luna Nights, that'd be great.

Häyhä

Arbiter

This man speaks the truth. First one was great and I finished it in every possible way multiple times (something I rarely bother with these days). Hopefully they manage to catch the same feeling in the sequel. Got also bit by the ol' Castlevania bug and been playing the classic 'Vanias on the Anniversary Collection to prepare for this.

Doktor Best

Arcane
How is the first one

One of the few Japanese dev Kisckstarter that is actually good.

I would argue that art direction could be better but as an overall game it is a good Metroidvania. If you like Castelvania there is really nothing to dislike.

I think he was referring to Curse of the Moon 1, which is not a Metroidvania but a Classicvania.

So basically, the same franchise is going to have two different type of game and story at the same time, but with the same characters ? I don't really mind but it's going to be a bit weird.

Why? It will be just like Castlevania, just that both types get developed at the same time. Both fan groups get to have fun, its a win-win situation in my book.

Häyhä

Arbiter
Well, the game was released today and I'll post some first impressions (PS4 version) after playing first two levels.

Game is pretty similar to the first one, controls are tight, graphics are nice and music is good. There is the "Veteran" (way it's meant to be played) and the "Casual" (pansy) mode to choose like in the first game. This time the game is split in Episodes and you can only play Episode 1 at first. Another difference is, that (at least on the first playthrough) you don't have a choice of taking other characters with you, leaving them or killing them, instead they join you automatically.

Different characters seem nice and diverse with different strengths and weaknesses. Zangetsu is pretty much the same as in the first game (at least in the beginning), he has the whip or the magic scroll bomb in the first levels. Dominique is more like Miriam in the first game; she has longer weapon (spear) and she can jump higher, but she has less health than Zangetsu. She can also do a Scrooge McDuck/Shovel Knight pogo-jumps with her Spear. She also has pretty strong magical attacks available (including one where she generates health which seems very good, maybe even OP) and a one-time-use Resurrection which brings all other characters to life (very powerful, but probably rare). I just got Robert the Marksman, who obviously has a gun (long range, but kinda slow) plus he can hang on walls/wall jump/crawl in small spaces.

The first level was quite easy, including the Boss, second was a bit harder and the Boss was quite a lot harder than the first one. All in all, if you liked Curse of the Moon, you'll probably like the sequel as well and I'm looking forward to diving deeper with it.

Oh, and there's also the co-op mode which you can choose right from the beginning, I haven't checked that out yet.

Generic-Giant-Spider

How do the Curse of the Moon games compare to Classicvania? I'm not expecting something on the level of Rondo (though that would be a pleasant surprise) but compare it to something like, say, Dracula's Curse or Bloodlines.

Häyhä

Arbiter
How do the Curse of the Moon games compare to Classicvania? I'm not expecting something on the level of Rondo (though that would be a pleasant surprise) but compare it to something like, say, Dracula's Curse or Bloodlines.

They're similar in essence and inspiration, but have their own flair. They're easier, but that's also because they are more fair and Bloodstained doesn't have those infuriating, bash-your-controller-to-the-wall moments that old school games have with the level design, enemy placement etc. which were just there to fuck with the player and make the games last longer (they were pretty short) because they were trial-and-error basically. Controls are also better and smoother than in the old Castlevanias. Obviously graphics are way better than what the actual NES could have achieved. I'd say they are very good modern updates of those older titles, they're not as "hardcore" but they have a good balance of challenge and fun. Definitely would recommend you to try at least the first game and see if it's your cup of tea.

Btw. Curse of the Moon 2 seems to be waaaayyyy bigger than the first game. First one had 8 different stages (I think) and I have now finished 5 levels and even Episode 1 still isn't complete. Difficulty curve feels good like in the first game, getting harder with each level.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Those games were short because you could beat them in single go on one or three lives.

Contra where you fly on is still my proudest achievement. Like 5-6 hours game on 6 lives and tough as balls.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I got both the first Curse of the Moon and Ritual of the Night.

Curse 1 seems really great, a big throwback to Dracula's Curse which is one of my top favorite Classicvanias but it does seem much more bearable/easy for the most part. It's not a big complaint though since I lack the reflexes I used to have but it's a lot more fair than CV on the NES that's for sure. I'm glad they put in a totally-not-Alucard guy so I could cheese through platforming areas.

Ritual though, damn, this is a solid Metroidvania. Sunk a ton of hours into it the past couple days and accidentally got myself the bad ending. I'm on my way to trying for the "true" ending but I'm stuck on the second Zangetsu fight. The only other boss that gave me issue was the blood vampiress but Zangetsu in his second fight is giving me one hell of a beating. What souls do you recommend here or tactics? I've been using the shield of portraits primarily and sometimes the blood steal (usually as a mid-fight heal when there's tons of blood on the ground) along with the sword that is like the Crissaegrim/Valmanway. I feel like I get very close to killing him (he has his sword imbued with frost) but can never quite seal it. I only have around 2 high potions for this fight, I am trying to resist the temptation to load up on heal supplies but I'm getting close to that point.

Using Shinobi Garb, Traverser's Ring (have around 80% completion), Critical Ring and a witch looking hat which I forget the name of. I think I got it from the underground waterway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom