Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children - isometric tactical Korean SRPG

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Buy it at full price. Its only $25 and they both need and deserve the money

Jinn

Arcane
Seriously, if we want to see good games like these continue to come out, and particularly from these developers, just shell out the full price. It's a ridiculous amount of GOOD content for $25.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's worth it tbh. I'm 10 hours in and only got my third character recruited. Every mission up to this point has had a different goal. Main story missions are fucking gigantic and sometimes you control a dozen characters at once (if you count individual characters + faceless police troopers).

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I bought it before the 25% discount tappered off. If it's on a larger sale during the summer sale I can always refund and re-purchase.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I just had that mission where you can say "nah dude, I don't want any police NPCs" and the game then gives no fucks about throwing you against 37 enemies against 3 of your guys on Cruel.
Then, when I thought I was doing okay, Albus and Sion both got knocked out, and just when I wanted to abandon or restart, the game saves a checkpoint, with only Irene alive against 24 enemies.

... SHE WON!!! Most intense fight ever. Praise Phoenix.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
I still can't believe where this game has come from. The art style means that at first glance it looks like every other trashy MMO/mobile Korean game, but now y'all are telling me there's a tactical masterpiece underneath, I'll have to check it out.

By the way, some trivia:

Devs cite XCOM (presumably NuXCOM) as inspiration for the UI, but that in terms of the actual gameplay, FFT was their primary reference - and that they're a little sad that everyone just harps on about it being "like XCOM". They also say that they thought turn-based squad games with a 'serious' theme are already done to a high quality, such as Hard West and Shadowrun Returns (they cite both by name), and so they sought a niche of a more lighter style.

Devs originally were working in another company where they, like everybody else, ended up having to work on mobile games, and were like fuck this, and one by one resolved to leave and make a good game they want to play themselves.

Devs say that they set out to solve the problem of indie games that are too thin on content and you toss them out quickly (I don't know if that was a common criticism in the Korean market or something), and so they thought they'd think of the game content process almost like a webcomic, where they continue to take user feedback and expand and add more content over time - meaning evolving story & adding new characters as if you are reading a story-based webcomic over a serialisation period. (This is from their original release in 2017, though, so I don't know if they are still doing this.)

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Irene!!!

I just experienced the first "hunt 6 bosses" mission and ... everyone died when I ran into the first two. Everyone except Irene, that is, who proceeded to kill all of them and wipe the entire map, all by herself.
Screwed myself out of XP, but on the other hand, go IRENE!

Maybe I shouldn't be on Cruel if everyone dies on first contact...
BAH, that's coward talk! I am gonna enable Challenge Mode, too!

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
It's worth it tbh. I'm 10 hours in and only got my third character recruited. Every mission up to this point has had a different goal. Main story missions are fucking gigantic and sometimes you control a dozen characters at once (if you count individual characters + faceless police troopers).
I just had that mission where you can say "nah dude, I don't want any police NPCs" and the game then gives no fucks about throwing you against 37 enemies against 3 of your guys on Cruel.
Then, when I thought I was doing okay, Albus and Sion both got knocked out, and just when I wanted to abandon or restart, the game saves a checkpoint, with only Irene alive against 24 enemies.

I'm tempted to buy this (seems right up my ally mechanics wise) but this kinda stuff makes me leery. Isn't it tedious watching 37 dudes take their turns multiple times or shuffling a bunch of pawns into position? This shit is bad enough in games with 9 enemies vs a party of 5. What keeps the pace up? Does everyone get into position and get a kill shot right away? Multiple enemies move at once instead of sequentially? Just skipping all the animations so 30 enemies warp into new positions before you take your turn and reassess the board? Or am I going to be just sitting with my thumb up my ass for 4 minutes in between each turn I take while mook #16 walks 3 steps and stops just outside my range because that's the logical thing to do?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron

I'm tempted to buy this (seems right up my ally mechanics wise) but this kinda stuff makes me leery. Isn't it tedious watching 37 dudes take their turns multiple times or shuffling a bunch of pawns into position? This shit is bad enough in games with 9 enemies vs a party of 5. What keeps the pace up? Does everyone get into position and get a kill shot right away? Multiple enemies move at once instead of sequentially? Just skipping all the animations so 30 enemies warp into new positions before you take your turn and reassess the board? Or am I going to be just sitting with my thumb up my ass for 4 minutes in between each turn I take while mook #16 walks 3 steps and stops just outside my range because that's the logical thing to do?

You can adjust the animation speed both for your own team and for enemies from normal to very fast. There's also a bunch of close up camera angles during attacks that you can de-activate.

Enemies not in view (but in the fog of war) are obviously not animated.

Most average enemy mooks die quickly so there's little whittling down of HP, it's more about getting good positions and using the right skills to dispose of them quickly.

Each character has individual initiative so there's no "you do your turn, then wait for the enemy turn". Special abilities can influence the turn order, pushing a targeted enemy further down the line or giving your own guy his next turn earlier.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I also think the default speed is already fast, but I think you can speed it up even more in the options.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
@DR
Nope! You can speed the animations up a lot. The mission I talked about in that quote had 92 enemies, and while it did take 40 minutes to complete, that was mostly because it was tricky to do it solo and on the highest difficulty. I understand this reservation. I had it, myself. I thought that it would be pretty tedious waiting for 24 enemies to move and such. They do not move simultaneously, and enemies can, like you, move and shoot as their two actions. You can't skip the animations but you can speed them up to a high degree which is a good compromise between easy to parse and saving time. Even in that mission with 92 enemies, I never had to wait longer than 30 seconds or so for a turn to finish. Obviously you aren't usually fighting that many at once! But you can often run into 3-8 vs 15-20 encounters, and they proceed at a good pace.

I think what really helps in this regard is the low HP. Enemies, and your own characters, have rather low HP. There's a lot of units, but they die quickly. Or kill you quickly.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
If you're doing it right, most average enemies can be one-shotted or two-shotted. More high-tier enemies require more whackings but aren't as common, and they can do some good damage too. The balance between damage and HP is generally very good, you wanna avoid sustaining damage as much as possible, there's no HP bloat in this game at all. Combat has a very smooth flow to it.

pm_675

Arbiter

Nahh, it's, understandably, a little slow when there are lot of enemies but combat it's actually quite fast. And i got the game installed in the Hd not the ssd. You have several options to speed animations and movement in the options. Besides there with masteries and area effects you can kill several enemies per character turn.

Mind you, several enemies (more than 5) acting at the same time can happen sometimes. It's more nail bitting since you don't know if you will be wiped than slow.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
So I gave this a spin as well, it's pretty alright. The anime nonsense is pretty funny, even more so because it's badly translated ; this shit just goes all out on the animu. Not the point though. I do think the X-Com inspiration is too strong, but they went wild with the character system. It does play a bit like FFT on that front. Otherwise, it doesn't seem to be very much about positioning more than it's about exploiting your units - which, as mentioned, constantly fight against overwhelming odds. Still tweaking around the difficulty settings, not sure what's best (you got challenge mode which enable level scaling, aside from the usual difficulty options).

Visperas

Augur
I'm really enjoying this but there's a few things I don't have fully under control. One of them is the Battle Vision (I think?), the button that allows you to see if you'll be able to do something after moving to another position. Unfortunately, the game is not popular enough yet and there's no guides on youtube or anything. Any tips?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Okay, maybe playing every mission in Challenging+Cruel is not the way to go, everyone gets one-shot in Magenta-mission.

:rage:

Nirvash

Liturgist
This is literally nuxcom + jrpg skill fuckery and fuckload of sidequest.

And i love it.

Tell me you keep the badass bouncer and you can make custom soldiers.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Does it have level scaling?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom