Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

Vorark

Erudite
The new artwork and the 3D graphics pale in comparison to those on the GBA:

large.jpg

44670-Harvest_Moon_-_Friends_of_Mineral_Town_(E)(GBA)-1464233397.jpg
44670-Harvest_Moon_-_Friends_of_Mineral_Town_(E)(GBA)-1464233331.jpg

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Undead Darlings, a long in development undead girls dungeon crawler is coming pretty soon. This is not Japanese-made but I guess this is thematically appropriate here.

ss_c443dea017e8531b955c0dc07e88bc484042fc4f.600x338.jpg
ss_690e9447cd2e59d63b4b456a045aae81644a856e.600x338.jpg

What is Undead Darlings?

Journey with and learn more about a crew of half-zombie girls through visual novel sequences and as you crawl through dungeons, beating up twisted creatures that were born from the fall of society in fast-paced turn-based RPG combat, and ultimately deliver the only known cure for what ails your party members to a place where it can be mass produced!

The visual novel portion contains a multitude of branching dialogue paths that, based on the choices you make, gives deeper insight into the different characters, whereas the RPG portion of the game uses a familiar but refined turn-based battle system with unique twists. Both of these gameplay features are contained within a dungeon crawler, meaning dungeons are explored from a first-person perspective in four cardinal directions, with the dungeon itself built like a maze and filled with traps and hidden paths.

Story

The story of Undead Darlings ~no cure for love~ revolves around Reginald "Reggie" P. Happenstahnce and his journey to take the cure for the zombie plague someplace safe; somewhere it can be mass-produced. His father—one of the scientists purported to be involved in the outbreak's inception—created this cure and left it behind before leaving on his own for the same purpose.

The game opens with Reggie waking up from an alcohol-related coma (courtesy of his own father, no less) and being told by his childhood friend Pearl that society had crumbled due to a virus outbreak that turned most everyone into zombies while he was sleeping. This includes Pearl herself. However, Pearl has managed to hold onto her human conscience, and she relates that she is not the only one this has happened to. As with every half-zombie Reggie will run into, she may be undead, but her heart is still human.

Your role as Reggie is to be the girls’ loot donkey and carry the things they find in dungeons. Since Reggie is a human, the girls will prevent him from getting infected by fighting in the front lines! Go them!

While on this adventure, you will learn more about the undead girls' lives from before the outbreak, but whose tale you will hear is based on the choices you make during the visual novel scenes. Perhaps one of them will connect with you, open up about their hardships, and maybe even develop romantic feelings... The ultimate result of these interactions will determine whether or not any of these girls trust you enough to take the biggest risk of their undead lives—volunteer to be the first test subject for your father's cure!

Key Features

• Explore a multitude of complex post-apocalyptic dungeons—a total of over 20 huge floors to explore! Discover loot, secret event scenes based on your current battle party, and more!
  • Become invested in a novel-sized epic adventure—a script of over 300,000 words and more branching dialogue choices than you can shake your boomstick at await! The adventure is filled with comedy, slices of romantic life, and the horrors associated with surviving the zombie apocalypse from a zombie’s perspective!
  • All character art has been specifically drawn inverted as well, so you never get pulled from the story because someone's scar magically switched shoulders (inverted art vs. mirrored art—never spoken of because it is hardly ever utilized...until now!)
  • Key events give you the chance to grow closer to the girls, and by doing so, you will access specific character story arcs that come with gorgeous HD images of the characters for you to unlock! Over 20 unlockable images in total—gotta collect 'em all!
  • Six playable, awesome half-zombie girls lead the charge!
  • Nine endings based on your choices and how close you grow with the characters!
  • No currency or stores exist in the post-apocalypse, so you will need to fill up your war chest by finding loot in dungeons. Be careful, though—weaponry will break if used too much!
  • Loot system supplies you with armor, items, and weaponry. Weapons come in both Common and Rare varieties—but both come with durability counts that indicate how much abuse they can take.
  • Rare weapons may have Skills attached, adding a bit of flexibility in balancing out an effective battle party!
  • Exploit multiple enemy weaknesses simultaneously in the unique Exponential Exploitation battle mechanic! Increase your damage multiplier and utilize it for a one-time attack that can deal tremendous damage!
  • Set up custom battle strategies with the Macro function! Use this wisely in tandem with the EE System to create efficient tactics against your current roster of foes!
  • When all is said and done, you will enjoy a 50-hour adventure unlocking everything!

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Spike Chunsoft can go to hell, they butchered One Way Heroics, one of my favourite games.
whats wrong with mystery chronicle
They added in some weird stuttering effect, the game basically perpetually runs at less than half the speed it used to, and not even smoothly, making even controlling your character a pain, like you're playing an online game with 400ms ping. The original game and it's expansion have 94 and 98% reviews. Mystery chronicle has 62% and if you actually read through them, pretty much all the 'positive' reviews state that it's still inferior to the original game.

Nostaljaded

Savant
Hopefully Spike Chunsoft adds in 'skip battle animations' and 'skip dialogue' option for Shiren the Wanderer 5 PC version (but I doubt so, probably just a straight port).
That's my only gripe with the game preventing me from playing more.

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
https://www.gematsu.com/2020/06/ciel-nosurge-dx-and-ar-nosurge-dx-announced

Ciel nosurge DX and Ar nosurge DX announced
Platforms and release date not announced.

Sal Romano4 hours ago531

Publisher Koei Tecmo and developer Gust have announced Surge Concerto series titles Ciel nosurge: Ode to a Lost Star DX and Ar nosurge: Ode to an Unborn Star DX. Platforms and a release date were not announced, but a teaser trailer and main visual was released, and teaser website was launched.

Ciel nosurge was first released for PS Vita in April 2012 in Japan. Ciel nosurge Re:Incarnation, re-release including all of the original games patches and downloadable content, was released in February 2013; and Ciel nosurge Offline, an offline-only version of the game, followed in October 2014.

Ar nosurge was first released for PlayStation 3 in March 2014 in Japan, followed by PS Vita as Ar nosurge Plus in October 2014. The PlayStation 3 version was released worldwide in September 2014, followed by the PS Vita version in July 2015.

Watch the teaser trailer below.

Endemic

Arcane
I guess this means Aquagon and his team will switch back to translating the remaining Japan-only PS2 Ateliers?

Ysaye

Arbiter
https://www.gematsu.com/2020/06/ciel-nosurge-dx-and-ar-nosurge-dx-announced

Ciel nosurge DX and Ar nosurge DX announced
Platforms and release date not announced.

Sal Romano4 hours ago531

Publisher Koei Tecmo and developer Gust have announced Surge Concerto series titles Ciel nosurge: Ode to a Lost Star DX and Ar nosurge: Ode to an Unborn Star DX. Platforms and a release date were not announced, but a teaser trailer and main visual was released, and teaser website was launched.

Ciel nosurge was first released for PS Vita in April 2012 in Japan. Ciel nosurge Re:Incarnation, re-release including all of the original games patches and downloadable content, was released in February 2013; and Ciel nosurge Offline, an offline-only version of the game, followed in October 2014.

Ar nosurge was first released for PlayStation 3 in March 2014 in Japan, followed by PS Vita as Ar nosurge Plus in October 2014. The PlayStation 3 version was released worldwide in September 2014, followed by the PS Vita version in July 2015.

Watch the teaser trailer below.

The "body of that character" (Trying to avoid spoilers) looks like it has had a slight upgrade in the chest department from the original....

The original games were somewhat bizarre but very good IMO.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
A look at growth of PC gaming in Japan, from Bandai Namco's producer of Sword Art Online game things: https://www.gamespark.jp/article/2020/07/09/100423.html
  • Fatal Bullet sold about a half million copies on PC, out of 1.3 millions total. In Japan it sold 30 or 40K copies on PC. He says this is significant considering that PS4 sales number usually goes 100K~150K in Japan.
  • He sees the growth of PC gaming in Japan thanks to the popularity of games like PUBG and YouTube LPs (since many of the Japanese streamers play games on Steam/PC too). Just a few years ago they had to convince higher-ups on PC ports and didn't bother with Japanese localization on PC, but now they simultaneously release games on PC with Japanese localization.
  • When asked about modding culture on PC, he says that he personally can't affirm or deny on that matter.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Atlus also seem happy with PC sales for Persona 4. We can expect more games from them and Sega on that front.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I would probably buy it just to give support but playing it.. eh.

I think I have finished Persona 3 6 times in total
- 2 times on original P3
- 2 times on FES The Journey
- 1 time on FES The Answer
- 1 time on FEM MC on PSP

Yeah I like Persona 3 that much. But I have seen everything the game has to offer at this point. Maybe I will play it once for the non-Aegis epilogue on the rooftop.

Terra

Cipher
If they're going to do it then they should take the opportunity to make an actual definitive edition of P3 instead. Game's in a weird spot having two separate versions. Anything less and some people will end up disappointed that something's missing.

Arthandas

Liturgist
If they're going to do it then they should take the opportunity to make an actual definitive edition of P3 instead.
PSP version IS the definitive edition, just like P4G is the definitive edition of P4 despite being on different system.
Game's in a weird spot having two separate versions.
What? ALL Persona games have at least 2 versions, P1 even has 3.

Btw, I can't source the leaks because that Twitter account is already removed. Supposedly he was an "insider" and got the files for PC versions of P3 and P4.
Whether the leak is legit or not, P3 is the only logical next step for Atlus now (apart from the recent Switch version of SMT1). Unlike other Personas, P5 Royal is still fresh and selling on consoles so it's safe to assume they'll focus on the older games before bringing it to Steam.

Last edited:

Terra

Cipher
Given there's a big chunk of content missing (Answer) in P3P and they streamlined out the exploration iirc for the portable game, it's far from the definitive edition in my eyes, it's a different edition.

P4G would be an example of definitive, because it has everything from the original and more. If I want to play through the Answer on P3P I am shit outta luck.

What? ALL Persona games have at least 2 versions, P1 even has 3.
It isn't a hard concept to grasp. P4G and P5R are definitive as they have everything from the original and more.

P3P is not definitive, it has some features I want/prefer and outright omits some content, also I happen to vastly prefer the exploration of Persona 3/FES, not the menu driven approach of P3P - one is not inherently better or more definitive than the other.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom