Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Marvel's Avengers by Crystal Dynamics with Eidos Montreal

deuxhero

Arcane
I wonder how much Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Montrea hate that they've been saddled with Kamala Khan as the lead of their giant Avengers game? Kamala Khan, a character nobody actually gives a shit about, in some of the worst selling comics Marvel puts out. I'd guess they wanted Spider-Man, (Ms. Marvel is basically Spider-Man [with Mr. Fantastic powers] but without the personality, cool costume, or rogues' gallery) and Marvel was like: How about this character instead.

If they wanted heroes picking up after fallen avengers, there is tons more interesting characters you could use. Power Pack, Spider-Girl (Mayday) and most of her MC2 friends, Cloak and Dagger, all the kids from an "alternate" future...

But I think using that realist style is inviting all the comparisons with the MCU. If they didn't want to get, they should have gone for a more comic book style

Their real fuck up isn't making it look realist, or not getting the likeness of the movie actors, it's making the characters in this look like the cast of a Avengers TV movie. They could have made Black Widow look something like this:

EWIYSeZXgAE-ypy-741x1024.jpg
Sideshow-Black-Window-Statue-034-928x483.jpg

They could have modeled her to look like Brigitte Bardot in the '50s or '60s, or like Marisa Mell or someone. But instead she looks like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

All the characters just kind of look like generic human, which is a pretty dumb fucking direction to go.

Dexter

Arcane
Kinda vaguely interested in this as I was back during E3 2019 if it hits PC.

But I really, REALLY don't want to play as "Miss Muslim", are they really going to fucking force her on people? Why not have a choice of like the dozens available Avengers or better characters out there? Could've picked Nova, Black Panther, Falcon, Storm or similar.

Also yeah, some of the faces look retarded, but not only Black Widow, even some of the other characters including Hulk like here look kinda... off/generic?

Last edited:
I was just pointing out Black Widow specifically. I did say all the characters just look like generic human. It's not just Black Widow, everyone just looks fucking bland. It's a very odd choice, a weird choice. But this is also a game that gave Captain America a costume that looks like it was made for some low budget movie a decade ago.

Gameplay wise I'd guess it'll be ok. It'll be interesting to see Crystal Dynamics do this type of action game, which they haven't done since Lagacy of Kain: Defiance. I'm seeing one of the lead designers worked on the Arkham games, although this thankfully doesn't seem to be that style of combat.

Last edited:

Citizen

imagine spending (probably) 100-150 million dollars to fund an Avengers game with AAA production values but neglect to get the likenesses

lol

also game looks like shit. My original comment on the new reveal:

painfully predictable story that holds zero hype. Avengers accidentally unleash "chimera virus" which unlocks Inhuman powers across the world, causing a worldwide emergency, so the goverment steps in and disbands the Avengers; u play as newly-made Inhuman Kamala Kahn on her search to find and reuinte the Avengers so they can stop the bad guys who have taken over during the chaos by fear-mongering the public with misinformation about the Inhuman "threat".

[4:55 PM]
tell me truthfully guys, does this even sound hype at all?

[4:56 PM]
sounds boring as fuck and super predictable

[4:56 PM]
i could stand playing as the Diversity Hire girl if at least you did cool things during the game, but from the sound of it u won't, it's just a completely by-the-numbers thing

[4:59 PM]
...also LOL @ Hawkeye not being in the game

[4:59 PM]
poor guy

Isn't this basically the plot of Shield tv series?

The game's story basically sounds like a Avengers X-Men crossover...only because they started making it in exactly the stupid time Disney Marvel didn't let people use X-Men it's Inhumans instead of Mutants, and it's generic robots instead of Sentinels.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
All the characters just kind of look like generic human, which is a pretty dumb fucking direction to go.

I think the problem is they're trying to look "MCU-ish" without paying for actor likenesses. People are mad they don't look like the actors because they seem to be trying to look like the actors, kinda, and it fucks with your head. They wouldn't have to go cartoony or anything, they just need their own design style, which they don't have. The whole thing looks creatively bankrupt honestly.

It looks pretty bad to me gameplay wise too. I initially thought that's probably just because it's not my genre, but I thought Fallen Order looked good and enjoyed playing it. This just looks Euro-janky with boring combat to me.

I think the problem is they're trying to look "MCU-ish" without paying for actor likenesses. People are mad they don't look like the actors because they seem to be trying to look like the actors, kinda, and it fucks with your head. They wouldn't have to go cartoony or anything, they just need their own design style, which they don't have. The whole thing looks creatively bankrupt honestly.

It looks pretty bad to me gameplay wise too. I initially thought that's probably just because it's not my genre, but I thought Fallen Order looked good and enjoyed playing it. This just looks Euro-janky with boring combat to me.

I don't even think that's a problem. They're just all bland looking smears. If the faces looked good, had some personality, I don't think anybody would really be wondering why they don't look like the actors in the movie. But they don't, so not looking like the movie actors is an easy thing to jump on. Design wise, costume wise, this doesn't really look like the MCU. Problem is the costumes for Thor and Captain America, and even Black Widow (which does look pretty close to the MCU costume) look like costumes for some low budget live-action production. The whole face thing is weird, because it's not like it'd be hard to just looks at some comic book cover or statue of these characters and come away with better takes on how they could look than this game did.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Also I don't know if said this already but there's absolutely no reason for a super-heroes videogames to go it a realistic look instead of the colourful artstyle of a comic book. Specially when the live-action movies themselves are already ditching the "realistic" approach.

Spider-Man for the ps4 has an unlockable vintage comic suit which is cel shaded and looks spectacular. Instead of that Avengers look like Poser models.

ekrolo2

Learned
Time, money, and talent that could've been spent making another Deus Ex went into this. Enjoy your daily dose of despair.

sser

Arcane
Developer
These movie/comic spinoff games can be fun. I miss the 2000s where you had those button-mashing Lord of the Rings beat 'em ups, for example; or the 90s with all those Marvel sidescrollers. At least that's what I'd hope it'd be.

ADL

Prophet
Wait Kamala Khan is an actual Marvel character? I thought she was just some shitty fanfic thing some intern at Crystal Dynamics created.
lol

Wait Kamala Khan is an actual Marvel character? I thought she was just some shitty fanfic thing some intern at Crystal Dynamics created.
lol

No, no, no, she's a shitty back patting fanfic version of Spider-Man that MARVEL created. Although the intern bit is about right. Kamala Khan is a character Marvel has being trying to make happen and forcing down people's throats for about a decade now.

I could understand giving her this role back when she came out, since there was some level of hype around her. But in the years since her comics have been some of the worst selling titles Marvel puts out. Funny thing is Kamala Khan and the Inhumans as a stand-in for mutants dates it before it's even released, makes it feel like something that should have come out between 2014 & 2017...and that's just the Inhumans part, Khan as a main character doesn't make any sense past like 2014. Although development time tables mean no matter what you couldn't get a game with her as the lead when anyone still gave a shit.

ADL

Prophet
My experience playing on PC
The good
: Runs extremely well on my system and looks great
The combat is fun and you can juggle people up in the air and do some smokin' sexy style combos
Everyone but Hulk and Kamala Khan, fuck Kamala Khan especially. She sucks and she's one of the most annoying characters I've ever encountered in a video game. Hulk just feels really clunky.

The bad: No cosmetic differences between gear, the only cosmetics in game are costumes and you can't mix and match those, the whole outfit is one option
Marvel's "lighthearted tone" and Joss Whedon™'s signature quippy dialog
All the branding deal bullshit and Spiderman exclusivity, wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole if I didn't get it for free

Black Widow is most fun. Don't know about Thor since you only get to play him for two minutes during the intro during the beta.

It'll be interesting to see how people compare it to this which is being shown off next week (during Avenger's open beta) and is said to be a loot beat-em-up/shooter just like this one is.

Adon

Arcane
I've played a decent amount, and I think in general the game feels clunky and stiff. Movement and attacks aren't that smooth which is not inherently a bad thing, but does offer up a different feel. The problem is that the game isn't designed around character movement speed and attacks, but more towards gear and leveling up. It's essentially a more robust Marvel Ultimate Alliance without the wider selection of characters, or the more humorous tone of those games. It also continues the godawful trend of having skill trees that lock away some of the more fun moves, but even those feel underwhelming. There's no reason Hulk should feel similar to the other characters in spite of the visceral nature of his attacks, or for his shoulder charge to not be that fun.

The one thing I don't understand is the need to boost up the strength of any of your gears if you're just going to end up immediately finding another piece of gear that's better than your current one.

Despite that, I'm intrigued to see what the more decked out characters are like and to get a real feel for some of the other characters. But in all honesty, between this and any of the MUA games, as of this moment, I would pick MUA.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is there anything to this game besides walking forward and beating up doods? Fighting bosses maybe? Is that it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom