Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Will 2020 be the worst year ever for video games?

Erikkolai

Learned
I've got plenty of time for gaming now, and have a full month of vacation coming up, but can't find anything to play. Must've spent an hour each day browsing for anything that might catch my interest (on the Codex, Steam, GOG, and Twitch) but it never does for long. This didn't use to be a problem, but I've become so particular about what I like (only played 3 new games for the past year). If it has silly/cartoony graphics, I dismiss it. If the gameplay looks too casual, I dismiss it. If the story or characters give me even slight 'political preachy vibes', I dismiss it. If it requires a controller, or is a sports game, or I generally dislike the devs, or there's too much whimsical stuff, I dismiss it. :?

Looking forward to the expansion to 'Remnant: From the Ashes' though. I'll also try out Stoneshard when it's further developed, and revisit Exanima later this year.

I've never played 'Kingdoms of Amalur' before, so I'll check the remastered version that releases later this year.

Aside from that... 'Knights of Honor II – Sovereign' looks interesting, and so does 'Alaloth - Champions of The Four Kingdoms'.

I might even try out the 'New World' MMO. It's apparently got a soulslike combat system, an open sandbox world, faction-based PvP, and gritty realistic graphics, which are all right up my alley. The dev (Amazon Game Studios) makes me extremely skeptical though.

I despair about the summer, but the rest of the year looks promising.

Last edited:

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
PC gaming has gotten much better since 2012, not worse. It was roughly 2005-2012 that were the super dark years. You guys are silly.

This is the stupidest thing i have ever heard. Seriously. 2005-2012 were awesome for PC gaming. Tons of good AAA games, some of them RPGs. After 2012 we only get better textures on the same formulas most of the time.

A few highlights of 2005-2012, not just for RPGs:

1) Crysis
2) Skyrim
3) Fallout 3/ New Vegas
4) Mass Effect Trilogy
5) Dragon Age II
6) Supreme commander
7) Starcraft II
8) Diablo III
9) Medieval Total War II/ Empire Total War/ Napoleon Total War/Shogun II Total War
10) Company of Heroes
11) Dawn of War I and II
12) League of Legends/ Dota II
13) Best years of World of Warcraft
14) Battlefield 2+3
15) Assassin Creed Altair + Ezio Trilogy
16) Far Cry 2 and 3
17) Half Life 2 and episodes 1 and 2
18) Counter Strike GO
19) Bioshock 1+2
20) GTA San Andreas and GTA IV
21) Civilization IV and V
22) Witcher 1 and 2
23) Battle for Middle Earth 1 + 2
24) Command and Conquer 3 and Red Alert 3
25) Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
26) Neverwinter Nights 2 and expansions
27) F.E.A.R. trilogy
28) S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Trilogy
29) Metro 2033
30) Brothers in Arms trilogy
33) Call of Duty 2, Modern Warfare Trilogy
34) Star Wars KOTOR II
35) Galactic Civilizations II
36) Team Fortress 2
37) Portal 1 and 2
38) World in Conflict
39) Gears of War
40) DIRT/GRID
41) Left 4 Dead 1 and 2
42) Sins of a Solar Empire
43) Dead Space Trilogy
44) Batman Arkham Asylum/City
45) Street Fighter IV
46) Plants vs Zombies
47) Torchlight 1 and 2
48) Borderlands 1 and 2
49) Minecraft and Terraria
50) Deus Ex Human Revolution
51) Dishonored
52) Guild Wars 2
53) Mark of the Ninja
54) XCOM Enemy Unknown
55) Max Payne 3
56) Dark Souls
57) FTL
58) Alan Wake
59) Legend of Grimrock
60) Crusader Kings II/ Europa Universalis III/ Victoria II and all other Paradox GS
61) Mount & Blade/ Warband
62) and many more i didn't mention....

So please, by all means, tells us how 2005-2012 were bad for PC gaming....

My take is: 2005-2015 was a lost decade. Sure some good games came out during that time (New Vegas, Risen 1, Dark Souls, etc), but the percentage was so infinitesimally small that it was just a decade of utter shit. Then starting in 2015, I saw some moderate incline, games like Witcher 3, KCD, ELEX, BotW, etc. Still very tiny portion of the pie, but something. Now in 2020, we are even worse off than 2005-2015, there is literally nothing.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
My take is: 2005-2015 was a lost decade. Sure some good games came out during that time (New Vegas, Risen 1, Dark Souls, etc), but the percentage was so infinitesimally small that it was just a decade of utter shit. Then starting in 2015, I saw some moderate incline, games like Witcher 3, KCD, ELEX, BotW, etc. Still very tiny portion of the pie, but something. Now in 2020, we are even worse off than 2005-2015, there is literally nothing.

I can't take you seriously if you consider Zelda BOTW incline....

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
This is the stupidest thing i have ever heard. Seriously. 2005-2012 were awesome for PC gaming. Tons of good AAA games, some of them RPGs. After 2012 we only get better textures on the same formulas most of the time.

Tons of shitty Xbox ports during a time of extreme dumbing down and ambivalence toward the PC platform you mean. Since 2012 ports have gotten better, some genres have had at least a minor recovery of respectable mechanics like immersive sims, and the indie explosion meant CRPGs and old school FPS games returned. How any PC gamer could prefer the Xbox and early Xbox 360 port era I have no fucking idea, but congrats on being a baffling mystery I guess.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Playing through the original DOW games. Wondering if modern-world politics will ever allow for this type of game again. Some quotes:

"Success is commemorated; Failure merely remembered."
"Educate men without faith and you but make them clever devils."
"A small mind is easily filled with faith."
"Know the Mutant; Kill the Mutant."
"Burn the heretic. Kill the mutant. Purge the unclean."

These ones might not be problematic though:
"To Question is to doubt."
"He who keeps silent consents."

I think the entire IP is based on context. Something that doesn't seem to be acceptable these days. Wouldn't suprise me if in the years ahead (and morons get their way) they'll want a RL check of your skin colour or race to ensure you pick the same one in the game. Only if you're white though.

Imagine not being able to romance Viconia? Not because you're an elf, but if you chose a light skin colour?. I may just be a bit autisitically paranoid, but imagine not being able to fantasize about pounding that drow ass while playing BG2...

A terrible, terrible, gaming world awaits if the wrong people take over completely.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
A terrible, terrible, gaming world awaits if the wrong people take over completely.

The entire mainstream media industry is fucked at the moment, because of blacklist hivemind bullshit. However I do believe more and more challenging material will be handled by indies, and more and more of it will find an audience in people who want that material. Throughout all of human history one side or the other tried to force everyone to be the same, and it never worked forever. In the internet and free speech era, I don't think it can work for long.

Maybe I'm an optimist.

Gaming was fucked even before the SJW crap, basically once the target audience went mainstream, and dev became expensive and cross platforming became a thing, but SJW crap made the whole thing even less acceptable to most normal devs.

Why even go into it now if you are a normal developer/designer/programmer when you will be working insane hours for low pay while having to design by SJW standards.

Mortmal

Arcane
2020 , Shadow empires, a game the caliber of smac thats already enough for one year . Then this summer we get kotc 2 with more than likely an huge campaign .

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
A PC port of P5R would save it though.

Other than that, the ports of Kingdom under Fire games were nice, and P4G was a nice surprise too. Was kinda hyped about Stoneshard, but that game turned out to be really meh at the end.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom