Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Dyet

Novice
Yeah anyone saying this game doesn't look above current competition is nuts. Those screenshots above are way above current standards. Also one of the streamers said that at 2080ti it run 60fps @ 1080p with RTX on with 0 tears or framedrops.
I would hope that a $1200 GPU could run it at 60 FPS at 1080p. Well, at least that level of performance will be available at a lower price when RDNA 2 and Ampere cards are out.
Looks like some of the Polish media is... less than impressed with the gameplay. Overall impressions are always warm and positive, of course, but there's mentions of heavily recycled character models, spongy enemies, Borderlands-like combat, sub-Destiny shooting, wonky melee, dull on-foot exploration, a questionable driving model (with rather tight environs not really suited to any racing if that's supposed to be in), noticeable signs of cutting corners, i.e. crowds changing density on the spot when you switch from on-foot to car and so on. And your usual early stage issues such as clipping, animations not loading etc.

So, basically, it sounds like an epic crunch for the team and we'll still get the usual terrible gameplay and a "best of" of ARPG issues to go along with it. IF they even patch this thing up until November, that is.

I would've hoped this'd be the Gaming Messiah, and the Great Humbling would come later, but them's the brakes, I suppose.
The devs are gonna have to crunch extra-extra hard, it was delayed for a reason.

eilef

Educated
So far it looks like RPG GTA set in dystopian and dark future, and i am very happy with what i saw. If the stories are at least as complex and interesting as in Witcher III, it should be a great game. I will not preorder out of principle, but i will buy this game on release.

m_s0

Arcane
Clearly, it was a higher priority to get Jesse Cox's flabby cheeks modelled properly than it was to utilize that budget to put the decades-old issue of the same 5 models recycled ad-nauseam to bed.

One choice gets you some marketing buzz pre-release, the other the players are stuck with for the duration of their combined playthroughs. So until the heat death of the universe if this sells what they need it to sell.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Tbh I'm not too familiar with Imaishi's work pre 21st century but I think they are more in the vein of Gurren Lagann and Kanada influenced works in general. He's though one of the greatest animators to ever live in my opinion.

Check out the short movie "Dead Leaves" that was directed by Imaishi. Imaishi definitely knows how to do some cyberpunk type shit.

frajaq

Erudite
spongy enemies, Borderlands-like combat, sub-Destiny shooting,

this was always my biggest worry since the first gameplay reveals, enemies having their level above their head alongside the health bar made me really sad

I always prefered NOT knowing how much damage it takes to kill an enemy, these you are supposed to figure out organically as you play the game...

typical user

Arbiter
Jeez I only went outside for 15 minutes and already 4 more pages in this thread.

OK so what I've heard and seen so far:
-ranged combat could use more pronounced weapon wobble, I suppose they went for cyborg-feel with almost no recoil but even Doom Eternal has a weapon wobble
-driving feels like Watch Dogs, dunno since only video slices show player-driven cars with low constant speed
-no sense of speed in cars but in GTA V cars have very low vmax and devs added screen-shake to make it feel fast, I was surprised in FPP I had more control while driving
-melee looks stiff, again animations need to be more smooth, less video-like but maybe it was caused by YT compressing and 30 fps, hitbox collisions are "in-your-face"
-traffic and pedestrian activity is unnatural increasing closer only in Hub areas, maybe it has something to do with optimazation?
-cars lack randomness, seriously it's easy to fix if you navmesh more routes and attach RNG function but again I believe only what vidya journo said
-same thing as GTA, a fence won't stop your car but that one tree or lamppost will, suppose again they couldn't optimize it and attach breakable objects everywhere
-UI inventory is a mess like 1.0 Witcher 3 mess, will probably be fixed after game's release just like in Witcher 3

+huge customization options but relies on sliders, from many bad things Fallout 4 had great character creator - very easy to change your character looks on the fly with no sliders
+world design, this is something that sold for me, the lore and all the references to Cyberpunk franchise are pouring from the screen, you can see it's being made by Mike Pondsmith
+characters, they sound cliche but in a good way, like straight from 90s movies, instead of cringe it made me smile under the nose from the lines I expected but were delivered just right
+presumably huge RPG customization, many perk, cyberware slots and all that jazz
+story so far looks good, I expected Jackie gets vented right at the start but it actually happens later on so he has some development time which is good
+again the world design, I noticed HUD looks different if you start off as a Corpo, you can see Arasaka logo in the corner of your screen and stock market changes in the other

So the game will be wooden but all the good elements are still good in my book. I think Cyberpunk 2077 might deliver even with such hype since that's what is being hyped, a great story and good-enough driving/combat. You might say I try to rationalize that this game has issues and you are probably right. Still the biggest offender in Witcher 3 for me was lack of stats development, meanigless equipment, places-of-nterest and retarded leveling. If they fixed those then - I hope - I won't have much to complain.

Perkel

Arcane
Cyberpunk2077_Always_bring_a_gun_to_a_knife-fight_RGB-en.jpg

Cyberpunk2077_Power_in_your_hands_RGB-en.jpg

cyberpunk-2077-night-city-wire-june-2020-nvidia-geforce-rtx-exclusive-screenshot-001.jpg

cyberpunk-2077-night-city-wire-june-2020-nvidia-geforce-rtx-exclusive-screenshot-002.jpg

cyberpunk-2077-night-city-wire-june-2020-nvidia-geforce-rtx-exclusive-screenshot-003.jpg

cyberpunk-2077-night-city-wire-june-2020-nvidia-geforce-rtx-exclusive-screenshot-004.jpg

ADL

Prophet
Regarding performance, I'm really glad they delayed to November as it gives me time to get a high-end Ampere/RDNA2 GPU.
So the game was likely internally running anywhere from 540-720p and being upscaled with DLSS2.0's machine learning filling in the gaps but that's fine, DLSS2.0's 540p looks better than 1080p native.

New GPUs are rumored to only take a 10ish% hit when enabling ray tracing effects. RTX early adopters got fucked on that but DLSS's tech wizardry will save them on that.

ChildInTime

Learned
Regarding performance, I'm really glad they delayed to November as it gives me time to get a high-end Ampere/RDNA2 GPU.
So the game was likely internally running anywhere from 540-720p and being upscaled with DLSS2.0's machine learning filling in the gaps but that's fine, DLSS2.0's 540p looks better than 1080p native.

New GPUs are rumored to only take a 10ish% hit when enabling ray tracing effects. RTX early adopters got fucked on that but DLSS's tech wizardry will save them on that.

Can confirm. Control with full RTX features dips below 60 on my 2080 Super, with DLSS enabled it looks sharper and never falls below that. This shit is magic.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
A single playthrough, maybe 2 with mods?
I don't deny, this game looks gorgeous. But behind all this awesomeness I see hundreds of people working their asses off to deliver eye candy: budget is high, risk of commercial failure can ruin the company. Therefore, game should be made as safe as possible: it should sale well. Nothing fancy, nothing experimental, nothing too deep - cater to as wide audience as possible. TW3 already went this way and succeeded. People like eye candy, and will play it solely because of its graphics - hell, it is evident even in this very thread on this "prestigious" site. Maybe its my tastes, but I fail to understand the desire to play something solely because of its graphics.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Because graphical progress is exciting and with PC being held back by consoles for so long anything that can push our systems is fun for people who want to see how far they can take them. It's not like we ever get anything like the original Crysis anymore.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
A single playthrough, maybe 2 with mods?
I don't deny, this game looks gorgeous. But behind all this awesomeness I see hundreds of people working their asses off to deliver eye candy: budget is high, risk of commercial failure can ruin the company. Therefore, game should be made as safe as possible: it should sale well. Nothing fancy, nothing experimental, nothing too deep - cater to as wide audience as possible. TW3 already went this way and succeeded. People like eye candy, and will play it solely because of its graphics - hell, it is evident even in this very thread on this "prestigious" site. Maybe its my tastes, but I fail to understand the desire to play something solely because of its graphics.

I know mate and I agree 1000%... I was always in the "gameplay is king" boat and hated the focus on graphics. I think older games were better because gameplay was more important than looks. The problem is that the market expanded but the gameplay never improved (the opposite happened).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom