Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Terenty

Liturgist
The writing is complete shit in these snippets. I especially liked the two twins that dumped a 10 minutes long exposition on you about their super cool upgrades etc.

And stop posting bullshots please, the game doesn't look anywhere near that good

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This is a game which will live and die by ...................... (Fill in the blank space)

a) its RPG mechanics
b) its combat
c) its story
d) its graphics

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Cyberpunk2077_Always_bring_a_gun_to_a_knife-fight_RGB-en.jpg

Cyberpunk2077_Power_in_your_hands_RGB-en.jpg

cyberpunk-2077-night-city-wire-june-2020-nvidia-geforce-rtx-exclusive-screenshot-001.jpg

cyberpunk-2077-night-city-wire-june-2020-nvidia-geforce-rtx-exclusive-screenshot-002.jpg

cyberpunk-2077-night-city-wire-june-2020-nvidia-geforce-rtx-exclusive-screenshot-003.jpg

cyberpunk-2077-night-city-wire-june-2020-nvidia-geforce-rtx-exclusive-screenshot-004.jpg

More Clownpunk than Cyberpunk

NullFlow

Savant
This is a game which will live and die by ...................... (Fill in the blank space)

a) its RPG mechanics
b) its combat
c) its story
d) its graphics
The big X-Factor that can fully sell me on the game is how organic, deep, varied and wide the choice and consequence trees end up. I can even tolerate mediocre combat and stealth as long as I have meaningful agency, options and causality for my decisions through gameplay. So I guess option a?

eilef

Educated
Okay, after watching lots of videos i will say that i liked a lot of things, but i do Braindance, melee combat and driving is awful. I hope they improve until game releases, but man, Braindance right now looks like even more boring version of a Witchers sense. I hope there is not a lot of it in the game, because I am triggered by scanning things after playing so many games that abuse this “feature”.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Yes. What else do you expect to push our systems? AI?
- more locations
- more NPCs
- more C&C
- more detailed dialogues
- why, yes, AI. Why the hell FEAR from 2004 is still one of the best FPSs considering AI department?
- advanced life simulation. Remember Stalker' A-Life? Why the fuck no one improved on that?
- better gunplay. There's still lot to be desired.

I didn't know that retardation has set up so deep. "Eye candy is the only way we could push our systems". Should I remind you that no-eye-candy game like Dwarf Fortress can still melt your CPU and rape your RAM? It shouldn't be all about "get the best GPU ASAP!"

Dodo1610

Arcane
The apparently got rid of techie character build because it overlapped with netrunner.

Don’t know the truth of it since I don’t speak German, but someone got the idea from this gamestar preview.

https://www.gamestar.de/videos/cybe...preview-video-mit-massig-gameplay,100801.html
From the Discord
techie skills are still a thing

techie got merged with netrunner. seems CDPR saw alot of the flathead abilites were stuff that netrunners should be able to do, so they basically murged them.

You can still build a "techie" just it will prob be a mix of some specific netrunner abilites

There are no classes for this game, only Skill Trees, in compliance with Mike Pondsmith's vision for Cyberpunk, these skill trees provide the building blocks for other classes in the game.
Hence the streamlining of the skill trees isn't necessarily cutting down on play styles, rather it's removing excess skills that function similar to each other. So I imagine Techie "builds" are going to be something people can do, just without a skill tree named after it.
@Nerm almost. You still have techie skill checks in the game as well. The attribute is also still a thing. No classes at all.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
They way they choose to present this game continues to be awful and embarrassing, and further cements my belief that anyone who works in marketing/advertising should have cosmetics tested on them.
I watched some of the no commentary gameplay and eased up on it more, I didn't think they would still do DA:O style prologues for the different backgrounds after they axed the older background selections, if there is enough flavor there to make Corpo feel like a salaryman doing shady dealings to climb the corporate ladder rather than just being a street criminal wearing a tie i'll probably end up liking it.

Still, this jingling of the keys shit is obnoxious. They (mostly) had it right the first time just uploading nearly an hour of footage back in 2018, ditch the narrator reading off a script and just let the game speak for itself. I'm much more willing to forgive shortcomings when I'm seeing the game as it is rather than a dolled up version.

Last edited:

Dodo1610

Arcane
They way they choose to present this game continues to be awful and embarrassing, and further cements my belief that anyone who works in marketing/advertising should have cosmetics tested on them.
I watched some of the no commentary gameplay and eased up on it more, I didn't think they would still do DA:O style prologues for the different backgrounds after they axed the older background selections, if there is enough flavor there to make Corpo feel like a salaryman doing shady dealings to climb the corporate ladder rather than a street criminal wearing a tie i'll probably end up liking it.

Still, this jingling of the keys shit is obnoxious. They (mostly) had it right the first time just uploading nearly an hour of footage back in 2018, ditch the narrator reading off a script and just let the game speak for itself. I'm much more willing to forgive shortcomings when I'm seeing the game as it is rather than a dolled up version.

I have no idea what is going on with their marketing department, releasing random clips of gameplay for your game like this is never a good idea.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Yes. What else do you expect to push our systems? AI?
- more locations
- more NPCs
- more C&C
- more detailed dialogues
- why, yes, AI. Why the hell FEAR from 2004 is still one of the best FPSs considering AI department?
- advanced life simulation. Remember Stalker' A-Life? Why the fuck no one improved on that?
- better gunplay. There's still lot to be desired.

I didn't know that retardation has set up so deep. "Eye candy is the only way we could push our systems". Should I remind you that no-eye-candy game like Dwarf Fortress can still melt your CPU and rape your RAM? It shouldn't be all about "get the best GPU ASAP!"
C&C doesn't have anything to do with hardware. You can do C&C on a TI-83. Neither does number of locations or the detail of the dialogue. Gunplay has nothing to do with hardware either. I get that you want better gameplay but you sound like a retard that doesn't know anything about the technical details of games.

AI isn't going to push hardware either. AI is just a bunch of decision trees in games and we've basically taken that as far as it can go. You can get better AI than that through using neural networks to pre-train AI but that doesn't take much computational power from the end user either and in many cases actually makes the gameplay worse. We've been doing that in some games since the 90s. Kingpin: Life of Crime comes to mind as an example. Life simulation doesn't take a whole lot of computational power either as that basically falls under AI.

More NPCs falls under graphics. It's one of the things that makes Mount and Blade exciting for people who want to push their GPU.

I haven't played Dwarf Fortress but a quick search says it doesn't even support multithreading and can be run on a 500mhz PC with 256mb of ram.

There really isn't much that directly relates to gameplay that's going to push hardware except for maybe physics but even in the case of physics the stuff that will push your hardware is graphical effects like smoke. The things you can do with physics to make gameplay interesting have been around since Mechwarrior 3.

Last edited:

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
C&C doesn't have anything to do with hardware.
Nope. C&C is scripting at its core: coding many outcomes for any given situation. Right now we have mostly hard-coded C&C: you do this in quest #4, set flag from zero to one, later this flag is checked in the quest #16 and you are given some consequence. Imagine this, but tenfold and in free-roaming system, where there's a lot of NPCs affected and RNG involved.
detail of the dialogue
Yes, with modern "dialogue wheel" types of dialogues it doesn't require any hardware. What about dialogue that changes heavily according to player character, his reputation, NPC reaction and past actions? Some very heavy scripting here, matey.
AI isn't going to push hardware either. AI is just a bunch of decision tress in games and we've basically taken that as far as it can go.
Yeah, and NUTS.WAD was slowing down a lot of PCs back in the day even in the most barebones Doom ports.
Life simulation doesn't take a whole lot of computation power either as that basically falls under AI.
Nope. Proper life-simulation requires a lot of RAM and CPU to track a lot of things happening at once.

Robber Baron

Savant
Imagine if the money spent on graphics were spent on making AI Dungeon like logic work in an actual game. You could even justify it being always online for single player games that way

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I'm impressed with CDPR. After the last debacle I didn't believe they could make a press release that would make me even less excited about the game, yet here we are.

At this point this turd feels like an incoherent mishmash of mechanics from a dozen games, none of which are implemented particularly well. Every instance of combat looks like utter shit, the gun look and sound like Nerf toys, the melee combat is genuinely godawful.

Everything looks janky and rough around the edges, and CDPR seem incredibly reluctant to actually showcase "raw" gameplay. Half the gameplay trailer was some shitty Arkham detective cutscene, only with worse production values, writing and voice acting.

Oh, and am I the only one that feels the voice acting of every character they've shown so far feels incredibly off, or just plain bad?

And I see they decided to fuck with the default characters some more, making them even more ugly and generic.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Nope. C&C is scripting at its core: coding many outcomes for any given situation. Right now we have mostly hard-coded C&C: you do this in quest #4, set flag from zero to one, later this flag is checked in the quest #16 and you are given some consequence. Imagine this, but tenfold and in free-roaming system, where there's a lot of NPCs affected and RNG involved.

Yes, with modern "dialogue wheel" types of dialogues it doesn't require any hardware. What about dialogue that changes heavily according to player character, his reputation, NPC reaction and past actions? Some very heavy scripting here, matey.

It sounds like you want true AI. That's total fantasy bro. Not going to happen in our lifetimes if ever and there aren't really any steps between what we have now and that. You can add more scripts to get closer to that sure, but you aren't changing anything on a fundamental level that's going to take a ton more computational power than what we are using to do things now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom