Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Cyberpunk 2077 Night City Wire Episode 1: The Gig Trailer, Braindance Gameplay Footage and Previews

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: CD Projekt; Cyberpunk 2077

Today CD Projekt unveiled the first episode of the Night City Wire, a new series of Cyberpunk 2077 featurettes that will presumably run until the game's release in November. The episode starts out as you'd expect with a new trailer, which is titled The Gig and apparently made up scenes from the game's prologue. The general gist of it will be familiar if you've watched the gameplay footage from previous years, so it's not too interesting in my opinion. The trailer is followed by a discussion of some of the characters and locations seen in it with lead quest designer Pawel Sasko.

After the announcement of a new Cyberpunk 2077 anime series(!) begins the more interesting part of the episode. Braindancing is a technology in the Cyberpunk setting that allows users to experience the recorded memories and sensory inputs of other individuals. In the game V will get to use a "braindance editor", which will allow him to browse through such recordings and search for clues. The episode shows us one such investigation into the fate of an unfortunate thug duped into recording his own murder. According to Pawel and senior quest designer Patrick Mills, one of the goals of this device is to show us aspects of the setting that its mercenary protagonist might not encounter otherwise.

The braindance scene is actually just part of a longer 14 minute gameplay reel that CD Projekt have released to the press. Here's a list of preview articles that were published shortly after the episode concluded.
The next episode of the Night City Wire should be out in a few weeks.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Am I the only one that is not impressed? It looks like a typical cyberpunk open world FPS...Where are the fucking RPG elements, where are the massive dialogue trees? Is this game gonna be a "cinematic" FPS? Where's the overall "RPG" gameplay and feeling? Even the crappy outer worlds looks more RPG than this...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Am I the only one that is not impressed? It looks like a typical cyberpunk open world FPS...Where are the fucking RPG elements, where are the massive dialogue trees? Is this game gonna be a "cinematic" FPS? Where's the overall "RPG" gameplay and feeling? Even the crappy outer worlds looks more RPG than this...

Maybe they'll show more of that in the next episodes. Plenty of RPG stuff in the game according to the previews.

Last edited:

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Infinitron, watch the footage of driving in the outer parts of the city closely. You'll see some p. glaring texture and object pop-in, which, to be honest, isn't all that surprising. Witcher 3 suffered from it as well, especially when fast-galloping on your potato horse.

Sentinel

Arcane
This game looks worse than I thought it would. I'm more disappointed in CDProjekt than I thought I'd ever be.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

No RPG gameplay here mate, it's all popamole. Waste of the PnP licence

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Infinitron, watch the footage of driving in the outer parts of the city closely. You'll see some p. glaring texture and object pop-in, which, to be honest, isn't all that surprising. Witcher 3 suffered from it as well, especially when fast-galloping on your potato horse.
A lot of devs conceded to demoing their big budget titles on console hardware - to avoid cases of false advertising, like Watch Dogs etc (in regards to graphics)

Last edited:

Dyspaire

Cipher
It just occurred to me that I can't remember the last time I saw Mike Pondsmith's name mentioned during the promotion of this game.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I'm conflicted on this one. On one hand I still really want to get my hands on it because the idea of a high production value RPG in a cyberpunk world sounds wonderful. On the other hand the gameplay looks uninspiring at best. Bullet sponge enemies are a huge turn off and first person melee combat has rarely worked out well. It's really hard to tell how much RPG is in this and how much loot shooter. I don't think this game should be bought blindly (or even preordered) as we will only get a clear picture after the release.
Also I'm a bit disappointed at how conventional the future looks. I strongly doubt that going to a night club to get drunk will still be a thing in 2077. I expected something more high tech than that (meeting in cyberspace maybe). Maybe that's part of the PNP license, though.

Dr Schultz

Augur

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4f97le6JGA

Apparently it looks like the not so typical cyberpunk open world immersive sim that supports both lethal and nonlethal approaches

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So, being the most :obviously: RPG-site in existence, I'm certain the codex got a preview copy too.
What's the impression?
That's not how it works, when you are :obviously: this is a reason not to receive review copies.

What remained unanswered for me from the Night City Wire was, to what extent free roam around the world will be supported. In GTA V and RDR 2 there is plenty of interesting things you can witness or take part in as you are travelling around the open world. In Witcher 3 this was less true - you could stumble upon treasure or monster nest kind of encounter, but that was basically it. Taking a break from the story and spending some days just "living the life" was not expected of the player. In the best case, you could switch off from the main story in order to do secondary quests and monster hunts.

Speaking of days, Analah Pearce says she asked and was told that one game day-night cycle takes 3 realtime hours. Pretty good ratio IMO.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom