Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Commandos-Like Desperados III from Mimimi Productions (Shadow Tactics devs) - now with Money for the Vultures DLC

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Slightly worse imo, but others like it slightly better.
If you enjoyed Shadow Tactics, you should enjoy this one.

edit: meh

Kinda surprised that he likes it.

Nothing surprising here. Mack likes good games. And this is a good game.

overly excitable young man

The replay function gave me an instant boner. Good idea.

gRhkmxy.png

Kitchen Utensil

I beat it last night and I don't think it's as good as Shadow Tactics in some ways. It's too puzzle-like with enemies set up so that you're almost forced to use specific strategies that the developers intended you to use. [...]

This. Especially in later levels it's a fucking puzzle, not a tactics game.

DemonKing

Arcane
Finished last night.

Great game - sound, music and VO were exceptional. Plenty of different ways to finish most levels. The last level was fantastic especially the final showdown.

Probably enjoyed it a little more than Shadow Tactics (which I liked a lot).

overly excitable young man

Great game. The penultimate level in the mansion was amazing but the last one was a little underwhelming.
But all in all i feel like Shadow Tactics was better only because you climbed more on buildings in that one.
I missed the climbing in Desperados 3.

oldbonebrown

Arcane
A great theme for a game like this would be if you got to play runaway slaves in 1800s America, killing cartoony white slaveholders and racists.

GloomFrost

Arcane
A great theme for a game like this would be if you got to play runaway slaves in 1800s America, killing cartoony white slaveholders and racists.
Yeah but in games like commandos and desperados you die like every 5 seconds. Developers would have been charged with hate crime because of that. Actually i think that the last proper non politically correct Western was the first Desperados.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Why do that when Legend of Sherwood is begging to be brought back into the modern age?
It's my favorite and I want a remake but not from Mimimi Studios. They would just fill the map with 150 enemies, remove the ability to choose your team members before a mission, probably also ignore the melee combat system that game had and limit how many actions you can plan and execute per character and probably more.
I mean, Mimimi they're good but I know what kind of design vision they have and that can be seen in both Shadow Tactics and Desperados 3.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
remove the ability to choose your team members before a mission
Just to say, I've seen you slam this a few times, and you're not right or wrong to do so, but limiting team selection was a feature of the original Desperados (and the whole Commandos series I believe), and when I say feature, I mean feature. It's great when these games take away certain tools and force you to make do with others. Not every game has to be like this, of course - a Robin Hood remake for example should echo the original design - but in the case of D3, preset team comps was absolutely the right decision.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
remove the ability to choose your team members before a mission
Just to say, I've seen you slam this a few times, and you're not right or wrong to do so, but limiting team selection was a feature of the original Desperados (and the whole Commandos series I believe), and when I say feature, I mean feature. It's great when these games take away certain tools and force you to make do with others. Not every game has to be like this, of course - a Robin Hood remake for example should echo the original design - but in the case of D3, preset team comps was absolutely the right decision.
And among all of them I like RH the most. And true, not every game has to be like it (RH), however all the others plus Shadow Tactics are basically the same (copies of Commandos 2), as they copy each other. RH is the odd one out. And I'd like it to stay that way.

DemonKing

Arcane
Not sure why they didn't just reboot this as "Desperados" like last year's "COD Modern Warfare" was not MW4...calling it D3 is less inviting to newer players and older players didn't care much for D2 or Helldorado in any case.

Saying that my 12 year old tried this out and absolutely loved it. It was scary to watch him play as he was much better than me at quickly working out solutions. He's now knee-deep in Shadow Tactics.

Ivan

Arcane
Not sure why they didn't just reboot this as "Desperados" like last year's "COD Modern Warfare" was not MW4...calling it D3 is less inviting to newer players and older players didn't care much for D2 or Helldorado in any case.

Saying that my 12 year old tried this out and absolutely loved it. It was scary to watch him play as he was much better than me at quickly working out solutions. He's now knee-deep in Shadow Tactics.
And here I am with an 8 year old nephew who can't put Fortnite down :killit::negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom