Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Origins is ten years old today

alyvain

Learned
46d0e1.jpg

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The only reason people back then (including myself) liked it is the RPG draught of the late 00s. We didn't get a lot of RPGs back then, except for Vogel's decent but ugly stuff and some lower profile German titles (Risen, Drakensang). 2009 wasn't a great year for the genre so Dragon Age seemed good because there was little else.
I disagree,the game still hold up as a decent one. It have its problem sure,but it is not a bad game.
It's certainly not a bad game, but I simply can't endure going through the areas full of trash mobs again as to get to the quality bits of content.
I have no such problem since i never understood the meaning of that term. It is not like RPGs have amazing and unique combat,you had played one you had played pretty much all. What make it different from other games? It is all the same garbage you clean from your sword in the end.

Disgusting storyfag detected, initiating extermination protocols.
Aghhhh disgusting combatfag,stay away from me you degenerate,don't want to catch your sickness......or smudge my tuxedo!

And then he said... he said... he plays RPGs for the story!

yETHz4t.png

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The only reason people back then (including myself) liked it is the RPG draught of the late 00s. We didn't get a lot of RPGs back then, except for Vogel's decent but ugly stuff and some lower profile German titles (Risen, Drakensang). 2009 wasn't a great year for the genre so Dragon Age seemed good because there was little else.
I disagree,the game still hold up as a decent one. It have its problem sure,but it is not a bad game.
It's certainly not a bad game, but I simply can't endure going through the areas full of trash mobs again as to get to the quality bits of content.
I have no such problem since i never understood the meaning of that term. It is not like RPGs have amazing and unique combat,you had played one you had played pretty much all. What make it different from other games? It is all the same garbage you clean from your sword in the end.

Aghhhh disgusting combatfag,stay away from me you degenerate,don't want to catch your sickness......or smudge my tuxedo!

Said the guy that enjoys the wrong genre because his father used a sock instead of condom. Go play the nu call of cuckdom or mortal kombat 612. RPGs are worthless without a story and exploration:smug:. The combat is just something you have to pass trough to get to the good part of the game.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Said the guy that enjoys the wrong genre because his father used a sock instead of condom. Go play the nu call of cuckdom or mortal kombat 612. RPGs are worthless without a story and exploration:smug:. The combat is just something you have to pass trough to get to the good part of the game.

:lol: Imagine saying the genre that is a spin-off of war games isn't about combat. :lol:

Go play adventure games (or even better, stick to coloring books), this genre is only for the cognitive elite and you're not tall enough to ride.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Every RPG ever made has trash mob combat, DA:O just concentrates it a little too much in certain areas like the deep roads.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
I remember thinking the Deep Roads were annoying when I first played the game. Then I learned to git gud at DAO's combat system and now I actually enjoy the place. There are a bunch of fun encounters there.

Vatnik Wumao
I remember thinking the Deep Roads were annoying when I first played the game. Then I learned to git gud at DAO's combat system and now I actually enjoy the place. There are a bunch of fun encounters there.
I dread both the Deep Roads and the Fade.

And then I'm reminded that areas like the Circle's tower or the path to the Sacred Ashes aren't that far off either. Ironically enough, from what I remember, Brecillian forest seems the least trashmoby.

Duncan couldn't really take that chance from an in-universe perspective. You already have enough of a risk of an already-made Grey Warden deserting and spilling the Order's secrets, no point in allowing an even greater security concern (given that a new recruit might not even care about the Grey Wardens or their role in stopping Blights).
The real issue with that scene wasn't so much what happened but the way it happened. Bioware had to be edgy for a bit to prove it's a "dark" fantasy so Duncan unnecessarily escalates a situation with major coercive overtones, gives neither Jory nor the player a breather to recompose themselves right after witnessing horrifying shit, and immediately pushes the chalice into their faces while they're probably still in shock. It would have made more sense if he just gave them a moment after Daveth died, expressed his pity, and reminded them that this too is a part of the danger a Warden must brave before offering the chalice and reminding them it is too late to back out. He could even execute Jory simply for losing nerve because if you lose your nerve at the Joining ritual you cannot be trusted with the sorts of dangers a Warden must brave regardless. But no, Duncan has to go out of his way to handle that situation poorly and escalate the shit out of it so that Bioware could rub into your face that Grey Wardens are not exactly good guys. Which is pretty much classic Biowarean hamfisted writing.

Yeah but then Dragon Age: O would need to have competent writing, which wasn't the case.

Vatnik Wumao
Duncan couldn't really take that chance from an in-universe perspective. You already have enough of a risk of an already-made Grey Warden deserting and spilling the Order's secrets, no point in allowing an even greater security concern (given that a new recruit might not even care about the Grey Wardens or their role in stopping Blights).
The real issue with that scene wasn't so much what happened but the way it happened. Bioware had to be edgy for a bit to prove it's a "dark" fantasy so Duncan unnecessarily escalates a situation with major coercive overtones, gives neither Jory nor the player a breather to recompose themselves right after witnessing horrifying shit, and immediately pushes the chalice into their faces while they're probably still in shock. It would have made more sense if he just gave them a moment after Daveth died, expressed his pity, and reminded them that this too is a part of the danger a Warden must brave before offering the chalice and reminding them it is too late to back out. He could even execute Jory simply for losing nerve because if you lose your nerve at the Joining ritual you cannot be trusted with the sorts of dangers a Warden must brave regardless. But no, Duncan has to go out of his way to handle that situation poorly and escalate the shit out of it so that Bioware could rub into your face that Grey Wardens are not exactly good guys. Which is pretty much classic Biowarean hamfisted writing.

Yeah but then Dragon Age: O would need to have competent writing, which wasn't the case.
Debatable, but they've also cut a shitload of content for the game (particularly thinking of the Dwarven Noble story :argh:).

alyvain

Learned

And then I'm reminded that areas like the Circle's tower or the path to the Sacred Ashes aren't that far off either. Ironically enough, from what I remember, Brecillian forest seems the least trashmoby.

During my last playthrough I've had most problems with the forest actually. It was probably due to the strange placement of quests there. On the other hand, the Deep Roads seemed like a more or less straightforward dungeon-crawling area, which was okay to get into for a few hours. The temple was indeed no better. The strangest thing in the game is the Circle. They obviously tried to add some variety with the Fade segment, but we all know how it turned out.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

During my last playthrough I've had most problems with the forest actually. It was probably due to the strange placement of quests there. On the other hand, the Deep Roads seemed like a more or less straightforward dungeon-crawling area, which was okay to get into for a few hours. The temple was indeed no better. The strangest thing in the game is the Circle. They obviously tried to add some variety with the Fade segment, but we all know how it turned out.

I played through the Fade segment once, I didn't found it that bad. Perhaps it gets really boring on subsequent playthroughs?

alyvain

Learned
I played through the Fade segment once, I didn't found it that bad. Perhaps it gets really boring on subsequent playthroughs?

The tricky part is defining what we consider "that" bad. But I do think it is rather unnecessary and not fun, although the whole point of this sequence was to be a fun distraction with simple puzzles and new mechanics (if we ignore rather tame Shapeshifter specialization for the argument's sake), like a mini-game. I also think that the visual representation of the Fade in the first game is off-putting, but I'm color blind, so maybe it doesn't look so horrendous for other people (who knows?).

This segment wasn't that much irritating for me, but it's like every time DA:O is discussed someone remembers the Fade sequence.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
I also think that the visual representation of the Fade in the first game is off-putting, but I'm color blind, so maybe it doesn't look so horrendous for other people (who knows?).

Non-color blind here, the Fade in DAO is vomit-colored. It makes the whole thing even more unpleasant.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Only reason I remember disliking the fade was that it went on too long. A lot of games have that "here's something different!" section that goes on too long and feels like a slog eventually.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Circle tower was great, but fuck me, the Fade was the worst part of the game. Just goes on and fucking on! The game gets way better when you actually go back to clearing out the Tower. Also, they completely botched a really good C&C for Redcliffe storyline. Bare with me because I've not played in forever, but I somewhat remember they botched this since I waited to visit the Circle.

I didn't help the Circle before visiting Redcliffe. Going back to handle the Circle should've set off a timer or something. You're asked to rush to the Tower, and if you didn't help them, you're taking a long ass time clearing it out. Redcliffe should've been destroyed. Would've been better if you had the option to kill the child instead of ever going to the Circle to begin with.

Anyways, I didn't mind the Deep Roads. The Orzamar is probably my favorite part of the whole game. The dwarves are easily the best part of Dragon Age. Also, maybe it's because the song that plays is really fucking good too.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Would've been better if you had the option to kill the child instead of ever going to the Circle to begin with.
? You do have the option to kill the child.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom