Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community Statement from RPG Codex about Chris Avellone

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I think some people are not fully understanding what's going on here. It's not really about Chris Avellone being accused of some crime or misdemeanor for which there is no proof. The he said/she said stuff is just a sideshow.

The loudest voices of the millennial generation have decreed that certain ways in which the sexes interact are now intolerably rude and disgusting. Picking up chicks the way Chris did in 2013 is equivalent to having said the word "nigger". That's not illegal either, but you still can't do it.
REALLY? That's it? Jesus t.f. Christ. If that's the case, then I hope threads like this one will help MCA emotionally ;-)

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Not a great idea to post this as news, will make it even easier for resetera types to paint the codex as an extremist fringe board and thus easy to ignore.
That is not much of a distinction there. Resetera writes off everyone, including its own users. Have you seen its ban list? It has no respect for itself.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not a great idea to post this as news, will make it even easier for resetera types to paint the codex as an extremist fringe board and thus easy to ignore.

Who gives a fuck what they think? ResetEra brands you as a nazi if you can't recite the 9001 genders on command.

They hate us already anyway, and to me that's a sign we're doing something right.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
but srsly, is there any credible data about this thing?

I think some people are not fully understanding what's going on here. It's not really about Chris Avellone being accused of some crime or misdemeanor for which there is no proof. The he said/she said stuff is just a sideshow.

The loudest voices of the millennial generation have decreed that certain ways in which the sexes interact are now intolerably rude and disgusting. Picking up chicks the way Chris did in 2013 is equivalent to having said the word "nigger". That's not illegal either, but you still can't do it.
At least you can say nigger here.
Nigger.
Ah, it's so curative!
Thank you, based kike.

Vatnik Wumao

Who gives a fuck what they think? ResetEra brands you as a nazi if you can't recite the 9001 genders on command.

They hate us already anyway, and to me that's a sign we're doing something right.
As the Italians used to say - molti nemici, molto onore. :M

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Italians? We Germans say the same! Viel Feind, viel Ehr!
You took it from the German Georg von Frundsberg when he attacked Venetia in the 15th century. Thieves! It was his motto!

Vatnik Wumao
In the Italian case, nowadays it is associated with the Fascist period (though probably the Fascists themselves simply made use of what was until then a preexisting folk saying). Dunno if that's also the case with its German variant.
From the Fascist period:
mmo.jpg

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Like I said, the motto of some German chad from the 15th century that he used when fighting the Venetians.

But it's all good, the Italians are a wholly respectable people. If only they didn't look like Turks so much when you go south!

Vatnik Wumao
Like I said, the motto of some German chad from the 15th century that he used when fighting the Venetians.

But it's all good, the Italians are a wholly respectable people. If only they didn't look like Turks so much when you go south!
Southern Italy has a richer cultural heritage than the North. Shame that Garibaldi put an end to the Two Sicilies and condemned the region to poverty under a centralized, Northern-biased regime.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
In the Italian case, nowadays it is associated with the Fascist period (though probably the Fascists themselves simply made use of what was until then a preexisting folk saying). Dunno if that's also the case with its German variant.
From the Fascist period:
mmo.jpg

German saying is still completely kosher. You can say that in a conversation and you only might draw a few raised eyebrows because it is a very old fashioned saying.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Somewhat more on-topic, does anyone know which part of the boot MCA is from? Roguey?
I am not worthy of your love, but do you mean "Av-alone" (which I can definitely say is wrong b/c it was purposely Americanized by previous generations, which wasn't uncommon for immigrants) or "Av-alone-ee" (which I was told was the proper, original pronunciation).

Also, I discovered several years ago I'm not really "Sicilian" as much as a blend of Hungarian/German/(Scotch-)Irish... with a quarter Sicilian thrown in for good measure. And maybe a lot of Scotch in the Scotch-Irish part.

Andhaira

Arcane
So what has happened to Chris? That is, what companies/games/projects has he been dropped from?

How much $$$ will he lose, and will he ever get hired again?

Vatnik Wumao
So what has happened to Chris? That is, what companies/games/projects has he been dropped from?

Owlcat hasn't pulled the plug yet on their collaboration, but their Paizo overlords will surely demand it. As for getting hired again, I doubt that even indie devs would want to go near him now.

Quillon

Arcane

bethesda fired his ass, he was the lead writer for fallout 5
sega also dumped his ass, goodbye AP2
EA too, bye bye kotor3

did burden of command's devs say anything?

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane

techland dumped him (there is a possibility that sneaky poles used Chris's troubles as an excuse and in reality they had major creative disagreements);
paradox dumped him;
alaloth devs dumped him;
nightdive dumped him (but they've done that many months ago after their weird system shock reimagining stopped being reimagining and was scaled down);
raphael colantonio's new studio stopped following him on twitter, no official statement yet;
i assume ea and disney won't hire him again for Jedi fallen order sequel;
owlcat are waiting for it to blow over, but they may dump him if paizo ask them to do so.

eilef

Educated

Owlcat hasn't pulled the plug yet on their collaboration, but their Paizo overlords will surely demand it. As for getting hired again, I doubt that even indie devs would want to go near him now.

If he stays silent, and accepts his guilt - yes. If he decides to deny it - he will probably return to work, like Jeremy Soule. Less spotlight, but not out of the industry. At this point, its up to him.

Vatnik Wumao

If he stays silent, and accepts his guilt - yes. If he decides to deny it - he will probably return to work, like Jeremy Soule. Less spotlight, but not out of the industry. At this point, its up to him.
Based on his previous cuckish behavior, I am expecting the former.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
but srsly, is there any credible data about this thing?

damn kids not wanting to be stripped naked by old men in their sleep. back in my day, that's what gaming was all about!

Humanophage

Arcane

damn kids not wanting to be stripped naked by old men in their sleep. back in my day, that's what gaming was all about!
There is a major difference between decades of legalised prostitution and domination of women as an industry that is Hollywood (e.g., barging into your room naked as Weinstein did), and making awkward drunk suggestions by text with no threats of violence. There is also some poetic justice with Hollywood and such since they were spreading vile ideologies to which they fell themselves. But there is no poetic justice whatsoever with Avellone - he's just a victim of bullying and predatory but truly talentless sociopaths who see it as a chance to flex their muscle.

Personally, I have never made such passes or anything resembling them, and I have never been drunk. Maybe it's not a great norm and it would be nice if the norms were more puritanical, so people abstained from sexual chaos, drinking, normalised drugs like marijuana or hashish, and inane networking parties. However, making an example of a harmless and mainstream guy for not doing anything particularly reprehensible warrants support for the said guy.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
There is a major difference between decades of legalised prostitution and domination of women as an industry that is Hollywood (e.g., barging into your room naked as Weinstein did), and making awkward drunk suggestions by text with no threats of violence.

No man, an adult woman is a "kid" now. But we have to respect their strength and independence also.

Trying to explain nuances to radicals is a waste of time. Don't bother.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom