Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Zer0wing

Cipher
Can't even play as a non-augmented, neo-ludite that hunts down cyberfreaks and tech overlords.
You can choose to not place visible aug decor in character creation screen, you dumbass ZOG machine cog.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamesn.com/cyberpunk-2077/interview-max-pears

From The Witcher 3 to Cyberpunk 2077: “I’d love to say it was all smooth sailing”
Level designer Max Pears tells us about the challenge of building options into every part of Night City

Cyberpunk-2077-police-900x506.jpg

It’s all too easy to forget that Cyberpunk 2077 is an RPG first and foremost. From a glance, you’d be forgiven for thinking it’s a stylish first-person shooter, an open-world game like Grand Theft Auto, or a Deus Ex-inspired immersive sim. As the delays will attest, this is a ludicrously ambitious undertaking.

However, after playing Cyberpunk 2077 for four hours it’s clear that while there are hints of all of those genres, this is a role-playing game through and through. Choices are built into every nook and cranny of Night City, and every decision you make when developing your V – whether that’s the character build you spec towards, the clothes you wear, or the bars and clubs you visit – will impact how your story unfolds.

We spoke to level designer Max Pears about our lengthy Cyberpunk 2077 hands-on session, the challenges of building shooting and driving mechanics for the first time, Witcher 3 easter eggs, and the experience of writing a single-player story that doesn’t neglect player choice.

PCGamesN: How much does the Life Path choice affect the game?

Max Pears: The idea is that this is all about creating your very own cyberpunk, so having that Life Path choice is going to play into that. Not just necessarily what you saw in the demo but also throughout the game.

That will come in the form of different dialogue options, but there will also be specific quests tied to these Life Paths as well, which you’ll find later on in the game. Life Paths might also unlock different conversations that open up new reactions to help shape the outcome of the mission that you’re playing.

What Life Path did you choose?

I went for Corpo…

With that one you don’t get an option to gain additional credits from Meredith Stout, but if you’re playing as a Nomad then you’ll get to negotiate with Stout to earn more.

At what point do these Life Paths converge? As a Corpo I started in Arasaka Tower, would that have been totally different if I was playing as a Nomad?

Yeah, exactly. But each quest and side quest will also have different areas where your Life Path – and sometimes skill tree choices – will have an impact. As for how much it impacts things, that depends very much on what quest you’re playing.
As a single player, open world game, I’m sure a portion of the team felt right at home bringing Night City to life. How has the experience of making a first-person shooter with driving mechanics for the first time been?

It’s something we asked for, that’s why we wanted to switch to Cyberpunk: to try something new.

What games did you turn to for inspiration when designing the pacing and weapon feel for Cyberpunk 2077?

It’s an odd answer, but honestly the biggest inspiration was the tabletop game itself. Anyone who has played the tabletop game knows that the amount of solutions you can come up with by using your imagination is something that your CPU and GPU can’t compete with. The most interesting part for us is trying to integrate player choice – whether that’s Life Paths, upgrades, or even how you’ve handled previous missions – all of these have inspired us when it comes to translating the feel of the tabletop game to Cyberpunk 2077 itself. As a level designer it’s been one of the coolest things for me creatively to learn from.

To me, the combat felt more methodical and tactical than I had anticipated. From a level designer’s perspective, do you want to dissuade players from running in gung-ho?

The other thing is that we’ve got a fluid class system, so you can mix and match the two extremes. You can go in shooting one minute and then take on the next combat area slowly. There’s always a chance to take a moment and recompose before heading into the next fight.

Do you think pure builds will be viable?

It’s a viable option for you, but I think most people will want to pick and choose between the different attributes and skill trees. That’s where a lot of the fun comes from, is finding your favourite playing style, like going in stealthy only to fall in love with a gun you’ve found and then speccing around that. Hopefully people will experiment, we want them to.

How do you cater to these styles out in the open world?

There’s a lot of detail in the open world. I’m genuinely amazed by it and what we’ve done with it. Even though our open world might be like smaller contained areas, the amount of options hasn’t been neglected at all. The amount of stuff you can still do out there is impressive in its own right, and that’s another thing we’re really excited to see – watching people discover how diverse the open world is and not feeling like they have to approach it in any one way.

You can still take a car and go run people over, head out guns blazing, or hack objects to distract people. It’s really impressive how much detail there is out there.

I was relieved to discover you can steal cars and create utter chaos across Night City. Cyberpunk is definitely more po-faced than the GTA series, is this kind of player behaviour something you want to discourage at all as it might feel at odds with the game’s themes?

If you want to go out on a rampage and have no remorse, then you have got the option, and that’s fine with us. However, once you start to play the missions and see the amount of options you have, I think that will make players stop and think a little bit before doing something reckless. We’ve seen a lot of people default to that ‘GTA mode’ and then after a little bit they realise how many things are different and adjust how they play.

A lot of open world games struggle with that contrast of macro and micro scale. What’s Cyberpunk 2077’s approach to this?

For me it’s the density of the city. The people you see in the city and how many of them are present changes based on the number of dangerous events, the time of day, and the district you’re in. We showed Pacifica last year, which is a really lawless section of the world, and if you compare that to the City Center section you played in where there was a heavy police presence, you’ll see and feel that.

There’s part where you’re going through V’s apartment building and you see this boxing bot in a gym. If you talk to them you can start to earn a reputation in that boxing community there. You could just wander past it and not notice it, but if you do get involved with it – I don’t want to spoil it – the ending is impressive to say the least.

What’s your approach to loot in Cyberpunk and how important do you want it to be?

The fact that Cyberpunk 2077 is an RPG means that loot will always be an important part of it. You need to feel a sense of growth in your character. In terms of pacing, we’re still going to be tweaking loot, but it’s about customisation, so you can also add modifications to your guns and clothing, which in turn impacts your character attributes and opens up new options in the world. We’re still tweaking loot, but we always want loot to encourage experimentation.

I spotted a Witcher 3 easter egg on a retro gaming mag in the Arasaka tower. Obviously, it’s lovely to see that The Witcher games exist in the world of Cyberpunk, but how many Witcher games have there been in the 57 years between now and 2077?

[Laughs] Oh man. I’m trying to calculate development time – it must be in its 50s by this point, right?

How different has it been making a game with customisation at the forefront of everything you do, compared to The Witcher series where the story is predetermined by lore?

We want the player to feel like it’s their story. We’re not playing as Geralt, where your Geralt might be a little bit more gruff than my Geralt, but it’s still Geralt’s story. I think that’s the thing we’re most looking forward to. Players are going to customise their V in ways we might not have thought about, and we hope that people mess around with all of those options so it feels like it’s your story, your V, and your cyberpunk.

Danikas

Arcane
From a Polish source. Side missions/services/people to interact with:

-medics
-netrunners
-martial arts instructors
-ripperdocs
-techies
-sex workers
-You can go to a bar, have a drink

Map markers that are main/side quests or activities:

-Gun for Hire
-Search and Recover
-Thievery
-Agent Saboteur
-SOS Merc Needed
-Special Delivery
-Traveling Vendor
-Convoy.

You can get jobs from fixers or help NCPD so you will find following markers:

-Fixer
-Client
-NCPD Scanner Hustles
-Assault in Progress
-Suspected Organized Crime Action
-Illegal Entry
-Reported Crime
-Cyber Psycho Sighting
-Suspected Smuggling Activity

So it seems even though you cant join the police you can still help them out as a freelancer and psycho squad is still in the game.
hrmavzs1q6751.jpg

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This seems to be the case.
2:53 for Copro voice
4:10 for Nomad voice
Music and other voices kinda drown them out but clear difference from other trailers and past footage.
Holy shit, if they've gone through recording all of V's lines in six different voices, for each of the localized languages... my head hurts. :lol:

Dodo1610

Arcane
Inquisition allowed you to choose between 2 male and 2 female voices. And had more dialogue than the Witcher 3
https://gamerant.com/witcher-3-script-length/
https://www.pcgamesn.com/dragon-age...on-150-hours-wide-million-words-dialogue-deep

Reason for that is the Dragon Age Keep and the endless number of different world states which mean different dialogue + dialogue wheel which means there are always at least 3 answers to each line of dialogue which wasn't the case in TW3.

I still think they could have given us the chance to let us choose a voice for our V.

Last edited:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

Music and other voices kinda drown them out but clear difference from other trailers and past footage.

It's the same voice/same actor with only a slight change in tone
It's more than obvious at 4:28 and 3:01

also 1:52

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yep, a black V guy will sound the same as a white V guy.
That’s not crazy, what you think of as “black American voice” is a cultural / parental culture / peer group thing. Plenty of black people sound “white”, and vice versa.
Sure many do, and I've heard for myself, but I thought it could have added to the uniqueness of playing a guy from a different race.

agris

Arcane
Patron
A “hood” voice with unique dialogue line responses, independent of MC skin color, would be amazing. But no way that is happening in 2020, it sounds like a Chappelle show bit.

like a NG+ mode “keepin it real”.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Can anyone confirm that the CDPR has separate dev teams for console and PC version? Obviously not talking about assets, but UI, optimization. And if the game is produced with PCs first in mind and then consoles? Because if that's not the case we can expect really, really crappy game.

Semiurge

Cipher

• You can choose between a circumcised and non-circumcised penis

What difference would this make unless there will be PC full monty in the unmodded game? Why not an option for pubic hair color and curliness too if it's all in the minds of players.

Circumcision is self mutilation, it is WRONG and it severely destroys the potential for sexual pleasure. Poor boi.

I think you meant that it's mostly not self-mutilation, that's the reason why it's barbaric.

I guess they have several body types for men and women both - like small, average, and steroids big. And everything else is just cosmetics to make it feel different. It's telling they don't really allow for body customisation, only parts of it.

Dodo1610

Arcane

It's the same voice/same actor with only a slight change in tone
It's more than obvious at 4:28 and 3:01

also 1:52

I hear the same voice everywhere tbh...

It is the same voice actor Gavin Drea. It's just that corporate V had a completely different life and Nomad V so, therefore, he should speak differently. Which is a great detail, I also like that Jackie is also slightly different in each origin. I just hope the origins affect the rest of the game in a similar way and even lead to different quest solutions.
Though not only the origins are clearly taken from Dragon Age, the Jackie V relation also reminds me a lot of the Grey warden and Duncan from DAO. Both are the only recurring figures in all origins, he saves you and helps you become a Solo and just like Duncan the prologue ends when he dies. ;)

Robber Baron

Savant
Though not only the origins are clearly taken from Dragon Age, the Jackie V relation also reminds me a lot of the Grey warden and Duncan from DAO. Both are the only recurring figures in all origins, he saves you and helps you become a Solo and just like Duncan the prologue ends when he dies.

If only there's a local Morrigan too

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom