Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community Statement from RPG Codex about Chris Avellone

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
There is a major difference between decades of legalised prostitution and domination of women as an industry that is Hollywood (e.g., barging into your room naked as Weinstein did), and making awkward drunk suggestions by text with no threats of violence.

No man, an adult woman is a "kid" now. But we have to respect their strength and independence also.

Trying to explain nuances to radicals is a waste of time. Don't bother.
Kids are old enough to decide if they want their genitals mutilated before they reach puberty.

eilef

Educated
There is a major difference between decades of legalised prostitution and domination of women as an industry that is Hollywood (e.g., barging into your room naked as Weinstein did), and making awkward drunk suggestions by text with no threats of violence.

No man, an adult woman is a "kid" now. But we have to respect their strength and independence also.

Trying to explain nuances to radicals is a waste of time. Don't bother.

It appears so. There is some writer chick claiming she was "groomed" when she was 25 y.o. by a 37 y.o. writer. Imagine standing up and fighting for rights and equality, and then taking no responsibility for own your actions when it suits you. :hahano:

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The Codex's main rival also makes a 'statement' about the current Avellone situation:

Get woman drunk and she is free game... Its funny that all those Awoken millenials are deep inside the puritan racist Victorians so woman can't choose to have drink or crave a dick she needs to be seduced and drunk against her will cause she is so pure and unable to take responsibility for herself in slightest, same with negroes and other colored people sure we worship and solidi-rise with you poor Negro... wait... you vote Trump? How dare you stupid a... Every f... time from San Francisco thru Warsaw to Moscow, every SJW is bourgeois at heart.

jackofshadows

Magister
What I really like about this statement is that you can imagine some shmuck who barely knows what Codex is (as another site about games) but more or less knows who Avellon is. He reads the title and thinks "Looks like these too, yeah... predictable. Then he reads the part about ID/ID II/lesser titles and starting to think WTF and then he reaches the main part. And THAT is how you subvert expectations! *cough cough TLoU2 cough*

Drowed

Arcane
Personally, I have never made such passes or anything resembling them, and I have never been drunk. Maybe it's not a great norm and it would be nice if the norms were more puritanical, so people abstained from sexual chaos, drinking, normalised drugs like marijuana or hashish, and inane networking parties. However, making an example of a harmless and mainstream guy for not doing anything particularly reprehensible warrants support for the said guy.

Perfect, that's exactly the point for me. People are focusing too much on the one-off example and are losing sight of the absurd tendency to create a disproportionate reaction to any event, which is becoming the new normal within society. I've never gotten drunk either and I've never sent that kind of message to any woman. (And I even wonder, does this kind of message really work, at all?) But that is not the problem, the problem is the gradual degeneration of the mental capacity of people as a whole, who seem unable to tolerate any kind of minimally negative stimulus. Everything is offensive, everything is worthy of the most serious penalty in the court of the collective angry Twitter professionals.

The problem is that this slippery slope doesn't necessarily have a limit. Not by chance, these groups have an enormous tendency to self-flagelate: they also "cancel" themselves all the time, attacking each other and everyone around them. One person who in one week is an ally in the following week is the next unscrupulous "oppressor" and "part of the problem." No one is ever safe, because the behavior that is considerable acceptable or correct doesn't even have a determined line, it changes every day, and what is considered unacceptable is always getting more and more encompassing.

Even if I accept 100% of what people are saying about MCA so far as being totally true, I have not seen any crime that merits the complete destruction of someone's career. I have seen a person who has acted in a perhaps inappropriate and crude way, but never in a threatening or violent one. (Unless I'm missing something.) What he did was reprehensible? Perhaps, I would say that more than reprehensible, it was thoughtless. But who ever has never said anything that can be interpreted as rude, crude, arrogant or negative in some way? Surely for someone, at some point and in some proportion, you were the bastard, looking at you from other referential.

How long will it take for your attitudes, then, to be considered unacceptable? How long before the stupid, impersonal mob of delicate flowers choose a new target? I'm not against criticizing someone's negative attitudes, you have the right to do whatever you want and people have the right to think you're an imbecile or an idiot for it. That's fair. But this practice where people go looking for something you once said to a person 10 years ago to publicly lynch you is one of the most abominable attitudes in today's culture.

eilef

Educated
Even if I accept 100% of what people are saying about MCA so far as being totally true, I have not seen any crime that merits the complete destruction of someone's career. I have seen a person who has acted in a perhaps inappropriate and crude way, but never in a threatening or violent one. (Unless I'm missing something.) What he did was reprehensible? Perhaps, I would say that more than reprehensible, it was thoughtless. But who ever has never said anything that can be interpreted as rude, crude, arrogant or negative in some way? Surely for someone, at some point and in some proportion, you were the bastard, looking at you from other referential..

If you believe their narrative for 100% (which you should never do) - they paint him as a serial rapist who preys on drunk and defenseless young woman using his money, power, and status. “Prosecution’s” case been made by Schreier in his Bloomberg article. Now we need to wait for defendant side. I am honestly surprised how some youtubers and bloggers manage to navigate this storm so well, yet Avallone managed to make his case worse, with his apologies, “don’t defend me”, and “cancel me” responses in twitter. To me, this is a case (I hope I am right), of interpersonal drama, that got shared by offended party, and painted in correct light to end his career. At this point, I can only wish justice for all parties involved.

Farewell into the night

That would be terrible. Alkoholeics often kill themselves. Please, don't do it man.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
The Codex's main rival also makes a 'statement' about the current Avellone situation:

No, a guy who has zero respect for women wouldn't have apologised. He also wouldn't have "acted like a gentlemen" at any point in time.

And if that's our attitude towards men, then what about the women that have grabbed my ass at parties, the relentless stream of check-out girls and receptionists who call me "darling, darl, cutey" on a regular basis, the girls who have physically put their hands on my upper arms and chest, the one I was drinking with until I passed out on the floor at which point she helped me into bed then sat on top of me while I'm barely able to keep my eyes open, the ones who have bent over in front of me letting their breasts virtually fall out in a way that can hardly be called anything other than deliberate, the girl who talked about her breasts and posing nude, the one who thought "rape wolves" were funny, or the girls these days who are apparently polyamorous and can't help but mention it in conversation?

There are apparently careers I need to destroy lads. Vile sexual predators preying on innocent men who need to be removed from their job, have all their social media accounts suspended, and spend their days begging for forgiveness.

I do any of those things and I'm a sex crazed rapist. If I put on low cut trousers that expose my crotch I'd be some kind of creep and charged with exposing myself. If I talked about my dick the same way some woman have talked about their breasts to me, my career would've been cancelled long ago.

We have laws in Western culture, and courts of law for a damn reason. The phrase "innocent until proven guilty" by a court of law exists for a reason. It's so we don't get the baying mob rampaging through society, destroying what it can in order to garner victim points and attention.

Until Chris Avellone, or any of these "people who need to be cancelled", are proven guilty of anything by a court of law, you have nothing. And there's a reason the people making these accusations never go to the Police.

Oh, the horrible crime of sending you a drunk text message that's actually asking you for consent for an explicit sexual act? That's the death penalty right there. Are you a grown fucking adult?

And even if this already mad world decides to go off the deep end and get madder, he will be punished by the justice system. It's funny how right now, criminals with hardcore records are supposed to have their past actions ignored, while those who have made the terrible mistake of mentioning sex to a woman are apparently never allowed to work again or engage in any social media.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Precisely, I understand the raging mob on the Internet. It's just the way things are right now. I think this is mostly an American stuff isn't it ?
But the employers instantly terminating the contracts, this I cannot fathom.
Unless everybody (including Chris) knows there are lots of more serious dirt that's gonna come out, that's a possibility too.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
btw avellone never apologized to anyone but his ex, and it wasn't clear what he apologized for (she never came forward with an accusation)

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
And if that's our attitude towards men, then what about the women that have grabbed my ass at parties, the relentless stream of check-out girls and receptionists who call me "darling, darl, cutey" on a regular basis, the girls who have physically put their hands on my upper arms and chest, the one I was drinking with until I passed out on the floor at which point she helped me into bed then sat on top of me while I'm barely able to keep my eyes open, the ones who have bent over in front of me letting their breasts virtually fall out in a way that can hardly be called anything other than deliberate, the girl who talked about her breasts and posing nude, the one who thought "rape wolves" were funny, or the girls these days who are apparently polyamorous and can't help but mention it
:updatedmytxt:

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
And if that's our attitude towards men, then what about the women that have grabbed my ass at parties.

Dude, we've seen you on video. Absolutely no one is going to believe that anyone has ever grabbed your ass.

You were much better when you were silent, DU, only popping in here or there for the occasional sarcastic one-liner. It gives you an air of mystique and makes people think you are smarter than you are. It also adds credence to the idea that Codex is a free-speech zone, rather than explicitly an alt-right haven. If the owner and mods of Codex start making official political statements in the news section, it's just going to cement the idea that Codex is just the mirror opposite of group-think shitholes like ResetEra, where the powers-that-be are weighted heavily to one end of the political spectrum and the forum itself enforces and reflects that.

Codex's myriad and diverse voices can speak for themselves on the issue of MCA's canceling. And they do, loudly. We don't need or want mods to make political statements for us in the forum's official news section. What makes Codex special is that it's a free-speech zone that welcomes all opinions, regardless of what they might be. It's not an alt-right ResetEra, and I hope it doesn't become one.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
iu

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom