Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are you a Storyfag or a Gameplayfag?

Are you a Storyfag or a Gameplayfag?

• Total voters

turkishronin

Arcane
The authoritative source states that Arcanum is the 7th greatest RPG of all-time
I don't remember stating such thing love. But your lack of sophisticated taste is understandable.....after all,you are only a woman.:smug:

Don't you play literally anything, like Fluent? I seem to recall you playing Poncefinder: Cuckmaker, f.e. And Pillars. And other current gen garbage, like Disco.

(So I don't think you should be calling out my taste in RPGs, which is comparatively impeccable.)

wait why do you hate kangmaker
i thought it's like bg2

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
i thought it's like bg2

Cuckmaker is nothing like BG2 in any way, shape, or form. The only thing they share are the isometric view, implementation of DnD (ahem, "Pathfinder", which is literally bootleg DnD), and RTwP. But they aren't anything alike. BG2 had a QA stage in development, for instance, and was balanced by normal human beings and not psychopaths.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Because of them we have shit like diablo!

There are good story focused games like Planescape and good games with almost zero story like Mount & Blade. Also, the LORE of games like Diablo 1/2 and Dark Souls 1/2/3 aren't bad. And diablo 3 sucks because the mechanic and arstyle is opposite to the game lore. The artstyle, mechanics and lore should all have internal consistency with each other in order to make yourself fell immersed in that fictional world. It is the case of good story focused games like VtMB and of good combat focused games like Dark Souls.

i thought it's like bg2

Cuckmaker is nothing like BG2 in any way, shape, or form. The only thing they share are the isometric view, implementation of DnD (ahem, "Pathfinder", which is literally bootleg DnD), and RTwP. But they aren't anything alike. BG2 had a QA stage in development, for instance, and was balanced by normal human beings and not psychopaths.

Wrong. Pathfinder Kingmaker is better in some aspects like character creation and worst in others like encounter design BUT anyone who complains about kingmaker "balance" is dumb enough to not be able to open the menu and click on 'easy" mode. Kingmaker was made to be a challenge to CRPG veterans even on normal mode.

i thought it's like bg2

I loathe BG2, and its fanbase.

BG2 has way better story and combat of BG1 and only loses to BG1 in freedom to explore.

Dude, stop negging Lilura, you aren't getting laid, those "red pill PUA" shit are garbage to take money from incels, they don't work in real life. Besides, Lilura is a man.

I strongly agree. Instead of spending money with PUA, why not hire a "professional woman"? If is illegal in your country, travel to a country where is legal.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The authoritative source states that Arcanum is the 7th greatest RPG of all-time
I don't remember stating such thing love. But your lack of sophisticated taste is understandable.....after all,you are only a woman.:smug:

Don't you play literally anything, like Fluent? I seem to recall you playing Poncefinder: Cuckmaker, f.e. And Pillars. And other current gen garbage, like Disco.

(So I don't think you should be calling out my taste in RPGs, which is comparatively impeccable.)
I am not stuck to the past like you,bitching about 5 games for 10 years. We are talking about RPGs and not about your weird fetish,love. The genre keeps on growing and evolving trough the years,some time for the better,some times for the worst. On top of that your argument is an admision that you lack the authority and the knowledge to talk about RPGs,your library is to limited and basic :smug:. Your knowledge is very limited even if excellent when it comes to those 5 games,but in general you are lacking and very far from authority on the genre.

PS:At least i don't drool over retarded diablo......2 on top of it.

Dude, stop negging Lilura, you aren't getting laid, those "red pill PUA" shit are garbage to take money from incels, they don't work in real life. Besides, Lilura is a man.
Buahahaha you need to spend more time amongst real people my goatfucking friend. People do tend to have friendly flirt and tease each other,doesn't mean that they are going to fuck lol.

i thought it's like bg2
Nah our dragon lady has very limited library.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

There are good story focused games like Planescape and good games with almost zero story like Mount & Blade. Also, the LORE of games like Diablo 1/2 and Dark Souls 1/2/3 aren't bad. And diablo 3 sucks because the mechanic and arstyle is opposite to the game lore. The artstyle, mechanics and lore should all have internal consistency with each other in order to make yourself fell immersed in that fictional world. It is the case of good story focused games like VtMB and of good combat focused games like Dark Souls.

i thought it's like bg2

Wrong. Pathfinder Kingmaker is better in some aspects like character creation and worst in others like encounter design BUT anyone who complains about kingmaker "balance" is dumb enough to not be able to open the menu and click on 'easy" mode. Kingmaker was made to be a challenge to CRPG veterans even on normal mode.
Sure,but neither of them is a RPG. DS is jrpg larping as western one,diablo is hack and slash......tho the first one was good :),the second was popamole,M&B does have pretty good RPG system but it is seen as combat simulator or something similar. M&B's hardcore fans don't even know that it is RPG.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

i thought it's like bg2

Sure,but neither of them is a RPG. DS is jrpg larping as western one,diablo is hack and slash......tho the first one was good :),the second was popamole,M&B does have pretty good RPG system but it is seen as combat simulator or something similar. M&B's hardcore fans don't even know that it is RPG.

Dark Souls has stats, choices and consequences(linking or not the flame), rewards exploration, decisions that impact your character, spell slots instead of cooldowns(...) the unique thing from RPG's that it lacks is the romanceable elf companions. But i agree that Diablo 1 was decent. In fact, you can see the decline on how a magician learns how to throw fire in the game
  • diablo 1 - reading magical tomes
  • diablo 2 - investing skill points
  • diablo 3 - finding a bigger and sharper axe

PS : Dark Souls would be unplayable if you had to play as Van, Luso or Krys from legend of Krys ( https://drawfee.fandom.com/wiki/The_Legends_of_Krys )

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I loved Dark Souls, and it is one of the few popamoles along with Deus Ex, Warband and System Shock 2 that I'll admit to having enjoyed, but the expression of its lore and dialogue was immersion-breakingly bad; babyish, even.

I am not stuck to the past like you,bitching about 5 games for 10 years. We are talking about RPGs and not about your weird fetish,love. The genre keeps on growing and evolving trough the years,some time for the better,some times for the worst. On top of that your argument is an admision that you lack the authority and the knowledge to talk about RPGs,your library is to limited and basic :smug:. Your knowledge is very limited even if excellent when it comes to those 5 games,but in general you are lacking and very far from authority on the genre.

In time, you may or may not come to realize that the life of human beings is brutish, nasty and short. Or at least, it's short. And so we only have so much time in a day. We can't be masters of every game. Therefore, I chose a brief but monocled era to focus on as that is the only way I can gain a degree of authority, and be confident that my word counts. Those commentators who dabble in everything end up being the authority on nothing: generalists. It is very rare that generalists have erudition to rival those who are the experts in their field. Indeed, most of the time the generalist summons the expert for clarification.

Five RPGs is probably selling me too cheap, though. F.e, there are already five Infinity Engine games and that's not the only engine I cover. I'd say I'm an expert on a dozen or so, but that's it.

Also, I don't think I've ever seriously claimed to be an authority on the genre as a whole, though I might have stooped to that level on occasion for trolling and general amusement purposes.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

i thought it's like bg2

Dark Souls has stats, choices and consequences(linking or not the flame), rewards exploration, decisions that impact your character, spell slots instead of cooldowns(...) the unique thing from RPG's that it lacks is the romanceable elf companions. But i agree that Diablo 1 was decent. In fact, you can see the decline on how a magician learns how to throw fire in the game

PS : Dark Souls would be unplayable if you had to play as Van, Luso or Krys from legend of Krys ( https://drawfee.fandom.com/wiki/The_Legends_of_Krys )
Having stats doesn't make it less JRPG :). The atmosphere,level design,costume design and quite a few other things make it a jrpg. DS is what japs think that a western rpg is like but miss the mark because they lack the real life experience living in the west. Cultures are very different and they do have big impact on to devs and the games they make. People trying to larp as another culture always end up strange. Slavs are masters of the dark and realistic shit,germans are great at crafting medieval fantasy worlds,French do well with surreal undertones,etc etc.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
In time, you may or may not come to realize that the life of human beings is brutish, nasty and short.
:nocountryforshitposters:
Go on....

We can't be masters of every game.
Mastery is not needed when most of the rpgs are mechanically similar. No need to know the exact number of damage for every skill,to be able to gage the quality of a system and its strong/weak points.

Therefore, I chose a brief but monocled era to focus on as that is the only way I can gain a degree of authority, and be confident that my word counts.
Never argued otherwise love,the question is that we are not talking about the dozen games that you have a fetish for :),but the genre as whole. I too could find a dozen storyfag games and argue that they are the best in the world,but the reality will be different,another dozen of storyfag games will be dubbed as the best by a mass of competent RPG fans.

Those commentators who dabble in everything end up being the authority on nothing: generalists. It is very rare that generalists have erudition to rival those who are the experts in their field. Indeed, most of the time the generalist summons the expert for clarification.
Well i am not commentator,instead of writing 20,000 word essay on the pros and cons of whirlwind skill in ToEE,i prefer to play game and experience the joy of finding a new story :). Expert do have extensive knowledge in a limited capacity,that is true,but lack the general understanding of the whole thing. To each their own skillz i say.

Also, I don't think I've ever seriously claimed to be an authority on the genre as a whole, though I might have stooped to that level on occasion for trolling and general amusement purposes.
:lol: No need to take it seriously love,just some friendly banter/trolling. When i see your fanatical zeal,i have a mental erection and can't just pass you without some teasing ;).

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

i thought it's like bg2

Having stats doesn't make it less JRPG :). The atmosphere,level design,costume design and quite a few other things make it a jrpg. DS is what japs think that a western rpg is like but miss the mark because they lack the real life experience living in the west. Cultures are very different and they do have big impact on to devs and the games they make. People trying to larp as another culture always end up strange. Slavs are masters of the dark and realistic shit,germans are great at crafting medieval fantasy worlds,French do well with surreal undertones,etc etc.

LARPING or not, games like Dark Souls has way more RPG on it than Diablo 3, WoW, Fallout 76 and so on. From Software don't threat their users like retards. And despite the longbow being probably the most iconic British medieval weapon, most games threats longbows like trash, Dragon's Dogma did a amazing job with such iconic battlefield changing weapon, a thing which no British dev did.

Even if this games aren't pure WRPG, i rather play Nioh 2 than most modern WRPG's. Just like i rather read berserk over marvel new heroes. If you ignore the stories about androgynous teenagers with oversized swords saving the world, there are a lot of cool stuff on Japan, since the west is plagued by the excessive focus on appeal to the lowest common denominator and please purple haireds which never buy the game in the first place.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Mastery is not needed when most of the rpgs are mechanically similar. No need to know the exact number of damage for every skill,to be able to gage the quality of a system and its strong/weak points.

By mastery, I'm talking about knowing the nature of the RPG inside and out, as well as being able to highlight its virtues and flaws with citations. I'm not talking about exact numbers and other minutiae.

I too could find a dozen storyfag games and argue that they are the best in the world,but the reality will be different,another dozen of storyfag games will be dubbed as the best by a mass of competent RPG fans.

That's a defeatest attitude. Indeed, it is the attitude of a spineless cuck. "I'm not going to square up and formally express my views because others might disagree with me".

Well i am not commentator,instead of writing 20,000 word essay on the pros and cons of whirlwind skill in ToEE,i prefer to play game and experience the joy of finding a new story :). Expert do have extensive knowledge in a limited capacity,that is true,but lack the general understanding of the whole thing. To each their own skillz i say.

The expert knows the ins and outs of the game in question whereas the generalist (as a rule) only pretends to know. That's the difference. The generalist barely plays the game let alone looks into its data files. Proof is all over YouTube: in many cases, their knowledge of the game comes from referencing the experts, not from their own experience.

I can think of a couple of words for this type, namely charlatan and fraud.

We must remember, too, that forum-goers on the 'Dex constitute a form of commentary, and it becomes clear who is knowledgeable and who is full of shit about three posts in. I also find it odd that the most knowledgeable are called spergs, aspies etc. just because they know more than the casual'tard... [robot emoticon]

:lol: No need to take it seriously love,just some friendly banter/trolling.

I wouldn't have it any other way. Just because I'm not using emoticons, doesn't mean I'm being dead-serious (though I could be).

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Seriously Lilura, by limiting yourself to 20-25 year old CRPGs, you are losing quite a lot of improvements the genre made afterwards. Yes, you might be the monocled authority in that era's games, but what is the point? Unless you are getting paid for your efforts, you are just autistic. Still, if it gives you joy it gives you joy, who am i to judge.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm both. The gameplay absolutely needs to be solid or I'll complain. If you throw trash mobs at me and the system is boring (overly balanced, overly level scaled, etc) I will grow tired of the game quickly no matter how great the story and setting.
But I also love exotic and interesting settings. Note that I care more about worldbuilding than actual story. I'd rather have a low-key story in an interesting world I can openly explore (Morrowind, Arcanum) than a CINEMATIC STORY that presents itself through cutscenes.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Seriously Lilura, by limiting yourself to 20-25 year old CRPGs, you are losing quite a lot of improvements the genre made afterwards.

Like what?

The "improvements"
  • Dialog wheels
  • Each new game with less weapons and spell effects
  • Lootboxes
  • More and more ludonarrative dissonance
  • Streamlining of RPG elements to the point that survival games has more RPG on it than most modern RPGs
  • Accessibility used as a excuse to make the game playable by Teletubbies, with no depth
  • Linearity
  • (...)
Few modern games worth my money and time.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
That's a defeatest attitude. Indeed, it is the attitude of a spineless cuck. "I'm not going to square up and formally express my views because others might disagree with me".
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
First time being called a shyboy :lol:.

The expert knows the ins and outs of the game in question whereas the generalist (as a rule) only pretends to know. That's the difference. The generalist barely plays the game let alone looks into its data files. Proof is all over YouTube: in many cases, their knowledge of the game comes from referencing the experts, not from their own experience.

I can think of a couple of words for this type, namely charlatan and fraud.

We must remember, too, that forum-goers on the 'Dex constitute a form of commentary, and it becomes clear who is knowledgeable and who is full of shit about three posts in. I also find it odd that the most knowledgeable are called spergs, aspies etc. just because they know more than the casual'tard... [robot emoticon]
Buahahaha nobody cares about the opinions of youtube scum,that is bottom of the barrel called humanity. Care only about the opinion of codexers as this is the best place for RPGs and games in general.

LoL people here get called that not because of their knowledge of the game but because of their autistic obsession over X game. Tho to be honest i haven't seen such a thing much in here. Most people that know their shit are respected,like you,wisp5 and hist bloodline thing,ash and his deusex thing,etc etc.

Seriously Lilura, by limiting yourself to 20-25 year old CRPGs, you are losing quite a lot of improvements the genre made afterwards. Yes, you might be the monocled authority in that era's games, but what is the point? Unless you are getting paid for your efforts, you are just autistic. Still, if it gives you joy it gives you joy, who am i to judge.
LoL because that is her fetish. That is like asking NJClaw why he is in to kid dragons,me being in to feet......or you liking goats. People just have some weird shit that they just like.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I'm both. The gameplay absolutely needs to be solid or I'll complain. If you throw trash mobs at me and the system is boring (overly balanced, overly level scaled, etc) I will grow tired of the game quickly no matter how great the story and setting.
But I also love exotic and interesting settings. Note that I care more about worldbuilding than actual story. I'd rather have a low-key story in an interesting world I can openly explore (Morrowind, Arcanum) than a CINEMATIC STORY that presents itself through cutscenes.
hqdefault.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
lol the storyfagz vs combatfagz doesn't have a third options :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom