Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
MV5-BMz-Y4-MTI0-YTYt-NTVi-YS00-MWIx-LTlm-OTQt-Y2-Vi-MDBh-NGVj-OTgz-Xk-Ey-Xk-Fqc-Gde-QXVy-Mzg1-ODEw-NQ-V1-SY1000-CR0-0-709-1000-AL.jpg

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I think the next DLC (if there is one) will be an eastern nomadic (steppes) themed dlc. There are a lot of weapons and armor that tell of an existing steppe horse lords civilizations to the east, I think this will be the dlc where they will finally introduce mounts and horses.

Luka-boy

Arcane
I think the next DLC (if there is one) will be an eastern nomadic (steppes) themed dlc. There are a lot of weapons and armor that tell of an existing steppe horse lords civilizations to the east, I think this will be the dlc where they will finally introduce mounts and horses.
Top Secret leaked image of a Battle Brothers horse concept art.
legless_horsebykbq.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:salute: http://battlebrothersgame.com/dev-blog-142-the-arena/

DEV BLOG #142: THE ARENA

Things are coming together, and we’ll announce a release date for the ‘Blazing Deserts’ DLC in next week’s devblog! In the meantime we expand on a feature that many of you have asked us for more details on: The Arena. To arms!

THE ARENA
While northerners will duel for honor, southerners do so for the entertainment of the masses, and not always willingly. Arena fights are to the death, or at the very least incapacitation, and in front of crowds that cheer for the most gruesome manner in which lives are dispatched. It is a different way to earn money with advantages and disadvantages over mercenary contracts. The arena is a building found in the city states, and entering it you start an arena contract.

arena_building.jpg

Unlike with mercenary contracts, in arena matches you’re limited to fight with just three men of your choice against various opponents. Also unlike mercenary contracts, you’ll know exactly which and how many opponents you’re about to face – a certain number of beasts, slaves, captured desert raiders or professional gladiators, for example. If the upcoming arena match is not to your liking, you can simply wait until the next day and the next arena match. There’s no lengthy travelling involved, nor ambushes along the road, and you’re paid well for quick battles – but only if you win. If you’re looking for a quickstart into the gladiator lifestyle, the ‘Gladiators’ origin is a good pick.

arena_contract1.jpg

Once you accept to fight in the arena, you’re given arena collars to equip up to three men of your choice with that are to partake in the match. Because an arena collar is worn in the accessory slot, this also means that you can’t take wardogs into the arena with you – you’ll have to do the fighting yourself!

arena_ingame2_2.jpg

Arena bouts are fought on a smaller map than regular battles and in front of cheering spectators. Your every move is commented with cheers and boos; missed that attack with a 95% chance to hit? People will gasp alongside you. Killed that beast with one swift stroke? People will cheer and applaud. Flee from your opponents? People will boo, because they paid for a match to the death and expect you to die proper bloody. Unlike with mercenary contracts, you can’t retreat once a battle has started and you won’t be able to loot your victims after the battle has ended. But if your men survive long enough, fighting in the arena will earn them unique traits as they climb the ranks from pit fighter to veteran of the arena. Traits that aid them both inside and outside of the arena.

gladiator_gear.jpg

Every fifth arena match is a special one; you’ll face harder opposition than usual in front of particularly important spectators that crave entertainment most thrilling, but you’ll also earn a piece of rare gladiator equipment not otherwise available in the game if you manage to win. Because of the perils of the gladiator profession, hiring a Surgeon for your retinue of non-combat followers may be a good investment to ensure that your men survive after a lost bout to entertain the crowd another day.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I was thinking mounts or sieges/siege equipment. It would also be funny if they gave siege engines wheels, but no legs for horses.

vazha

Arcane
They could base it on Makuria and it would be awesome but probably not that sound marketing-wise

Barbarian

Arcane
I wouldn't mind seeing something that would use history of Ethiopia as an inspiration, but I don't see how it would fit into BB.

They have just added arabs. Why the hell not?

I mean the next logical geographical expansion would be north africa, if they go for that kind of thing off course.

jungl

Augur
Blacks will be in the Spacefarers DLC which similiar to the Beasts and Exploration DLC it will be focused on adding more unit variety in the game.

In the middle portion introducing the greys. Early mercenary contracts will task you in defending a cabbage farmers anus from anal probing. Later contracts will have you raiding Grey bases on the far corners of the map and assaulting crashed ufos.

In the southern deserts and jungles mercenary companies will encounter the elusive wakandian inspired Kangs faction. Early contracts will have the playing hunting down BBC warriors. Wielding giant phalluses, The grunt army of the kangs tasked to raid slave merchant caravans to build up their ranks. Later contracts will have your brothers climbing the steps of pyramids and facing the super big brain genuises Kangs themselves. A unique shaman that always spawns with a personal army of loyal elite white boy slaves and elite BBC grunts wielding giant psionic infused phalluses.

More information will be revealed after the blazing deserts dlc.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Africans would probably play a bit like the Goblins (what a sentence) with heavy focus on kiting, throwing weapons, spears and poisoned arrows. I say there is a large enough gameplay distinction to make the difference.

But if we are wishing for the next culture I want Aztecs instead. Atlatls and axes, snake summoner shamans and ritual daggers, I love me those Tenochtitlan Golden City vibes.

vazha

Arcane
African dlc (all kangs bullcrap aside) could be about so much more than portraying them as bushmen or some sort of Maasai noble savages. Look up Kush, Makuria & Aksum kingdoms, they d offer a really unique dlc material. Aztecs aren't a bad bet though.

I still think they'll either go towards Mongol / Huns with mounted combat introduced, or some sort of Rus & Byzantine mix. Both of these would be much more marketable than aztecs & Africans and also would add a distinct tactical layer to the game. Greece with all its phalanx & hoplite schtick would be also sweet but I suppose the Ancient dead already cover that & Romans. Some sort of piratey / swashbucklery thing could also be an option.

All in all, the devs have hardly put a foot wrong so far, it's shaping up to be a truly magnificent game. Couldn't care less about the space & sci-fi thingie though, gimme swords and a bit of sorcery all day, every day.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
African dlc (all kangs bullcrap aside) could be about so much more than portraying them as bushmen or some sort of Maasai noble savages. Look up Kush, Makuria & Aksum kingdoms, they d offer a really unique dlc material. Aztecs aren't a bad bet though.

I still think they'll either go towards Mongol / Huns with mounted combat introduced, or some sort of Rus & Byzantine mix. Both of these would be much more marketable than aztecs & Africans and also would add a distinct tactical layer to the game. Greece with all its phalanx & hoplite schtick would be also sweet but I suppose the Ancient dead already cover that & Romans. Some sort of piratey / swashbucklery thing could also be an option.

All in all, the devs have hardly put a foot wrong so far, it's shaping up to be a truly magnificent game. Couldn't care less about the space & sci-fi thingie though, gimme swords and a bit of sorcery all day, every day.

I am not denying that Africa had rich and cultural high cultures, but even those used leather shields,spears and poisoned arrows.
Look at the armaments of the Mali Empire which is generally the stand out african high culture. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mali_Empire#Strength
Its just the natural consequence of a continent that got into metallurgy relatively late due to bad trading routes and never really developed armored warfare beyond some mail armor.
Even the Nubians which you cite were feared for their archery.

Another really interesting culture would be egypt. Give us horse chariots, their cool bronze equiptment and tons of ornaments.
They could also give us a few more undead, since the undead seem to be heavily implied to be egyptian, they have Khopeshs after all.

vazha

Arcane
If mounted warfare is introduced, chariots will deffo be added to undead. They are all antique world bunched together - Greece, Rome, Egypt, sans the really ancient folks like Assyrians, Sumer, Babylon etc, which also would be hella fun if got included.

Re: your point on Africa, I never disputed that they had leather armor etc, I just would hate see them portrayed as your average bush-jumping naked savages. If amazons (wymun!) ever get included, they can be that.

oscar

Arcane
The Dominions series had some well done African-based factions. But I think the question with the game now would be what niche would these opponents fill?

In gameplay terms the devs already struggled to separate the northern barbarian faction from orcs (both are hard-hitting, good morale but limited armour guys). How would lightly armoured range-based cultures differ significantly in-game from goblins?

Barbarian

Arcane
The new arab units have no real new mechanics imho. Gimmick gunpowder weapons maybe. Whipping slaves is just another form of morale boost unit(goblins, orcs and barbarians have their version).

It is all about new aesthetics, missions and etc. Same role would be fulfilled with yet another map expansion(either north africa or east asia style).

Reinhardt

Arcane
I'm playing BB to collect cool stuff. Sorry, but african "pointy stick" "another pointy stick" and "yet another pointy stick" is not what i'm looking for.
We have northerners, we have westerners, soon we will get southerners. Next expansion should be about east. Samurai would be cool, but they are too far to the east.
We have cultures that had some contact with medieval Europe which is basic theme of the game so mongols and other nomads would fit right in. No fucking kangs.

vazha

Arcane
The Dominions series had some well done African-based factions. But I think the question with the game now would be what niche would these opponents fill?

In gameplay terms the devs already struggled to separate the northern barbarian faction from orcs (both are hard-hitting, good morale but limited armour guys). How would lightly armoured range-based cultures differ significantly in-game from goblins?
thower-heavy, lightly armored and super fast shock troops specialized in headhunting?

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
I just want an option in the settings to speed up combat animations, then I can consider playing this shit again
https://www.nexusmods.com/battlebrothers/mods/48

Speeds up battle animations considerably and adds x3 and x4 time mods to the campaign map (author also has a mod to pause when encountering enemy to go with it). Massively cuts down the tedium.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom